Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grade my lunch please? page 2

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    no. they don't. eating real food DOES NOT EQUAL eating low carb. this isn't a trademarked, pre-packaged lifestyle. eat real food. don't drink soda. saying you are addicted is a crutch. don't buy it. end of discussion. salad dressing. hmmm.. oil and vinegar, some spices, a little Dijon to emulsify. whisk. done. what fancy ingredients?
    Nailed it.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EMonger View Post
    If you've never developed a craving/addiction for soda, you wouldn't understand.

You're probably right. But

I'm sure there are paleo dressings that can be whipped up at home, but the ones I've seen have crazy-ass ingredients that I don't know what they are, don't have, and won't ever have.
    Lots of 'buts' and such. Hey, you asked people to grade you.

I thought I was. What's the difference between what I'm doing and Atkins? Both say carbs sucketh,
    No they don't, but they do say grains sucketh. Or Primal/paleo does anyway, not familiar with Atkins, but this isn't an Atkins site. Grains are carbs and grains sucketh, but not all carbs are grains. Carbs don't necessarily sucketh.

Inb4 what's good carbs: Veg, fruit, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, rice sometimes but depends what you believe in, blah blah etc.

EMonger is offline Member
    no. they don't. eating real food DOES NOT EQUAL eating low carb. this isn't a trademarked, pre-packaged lifestyle. eat real food. don't drink soda. saying you are addicted is a crutch. don't buy it. end of discussion. salad dressing. hmmm.. oil and vinegar, some spices, a little Dijon to emulsify. whisk. done. what fancy ingredients?
    I do want to eat real food, and the more of it I eat, the less crap I want. Hence the eggs, olives, pickles, etc. It's just a challenge eating right as a truck driver. But I haven't had a McDonalds craving for a long time, or even a Taco Bell craving, though my Chipotle craving still rages.
    But aren't I right in saying that primal eating avoids carbs--generally? Eliminate grains and anything processed, and eat meat, vegetables, fruit, and drink water or tea, right? I saw a paleo-revised food pyramid that was shaped like a dinner plate. One half said "meat" and the other was labeled "vegetables." I had no meat in my lunch, other than the meat in the salad, which was likely full of preservatives, and the rest was vegetables and eggs, other than the Coke Zero & dressing.
    Oh, yeah, took a spicy V8, but forgot to drink it.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    If you've never developed a craving/addiction for soda, you wouldn't understand. Coke Zero keeps me from drinking regular Coke...

I know I need to do something a little different than commercial dressing. What? I really don't see myself eating such a salad with NOTHING on it. I'm sure there are paleo dressings that can be whipped up at home, but the ones I've seen have crazy-ass ingredients that I don't know what they are, don't have, and won't ever have. It's like that commercial for something or other where the guy is making some Chinese meal, asking the kids where mommy keeps the lau zhou zhon...

What's the difference between what I'm doing and Atkins? Both say carbs sucketh, and though the salad dressing needs to go....what else?
    I don't really understand why you post a thread asking others to critique your lunch, which you already know it not the best thing you could have eaten, then defend your actions and choices.

A craving/addiction for soda can quite easily be overcome; it's mind over matter. Make the decision that it's garbage and find something else. I second the recommend for soda with lemon or unsweetened tea - you can find herbal, fruity tasting teas that are just fine without sweetener. And regular Coke would totally be better for you than Diet Coke, until you start drinking four a day.

Why not eat such a salad with nothing on it? With all that turkey, ham, cheese, olives, pickles, etc, there's plenty of flavour there. Again, it's a mindset that lettuce leaves need to be drenched in sauce. Besides, you had guacamole, too...get some guac on your fork, then stab salad, and eat. As for homemade salad dressings with 'crazy-ass ingredients' - olive oil, vinegar, herbs and spices. Doesn't sound crazy-ass to me.

There is no difference in what you're doing and Atkins - Atkins has no problems with a diet filled of unnatural ingredients, preservatives and frankenfoods. If that's what you're aiming for, carry on. But since you're on a paleo forum, I'm guessing you're trying to eat more primally. Which means real food. Single ingredient food. Paleo/primal diets do not 'say carbs sucketh' - I'm tucking into some breakfast right now that includes roasted potato hash browns. Paleo/primal diets say shitty seed oils, grains, unnecessary sugars and frankenfoods...sucketh.

If you have access to a grocery store to scrounge up some lunch you'll be far better off, although putting a lunch together at home and carrying it with you is ideal. Yep, it's a shitload more work but if you want to make this work, you get to suck it up. If 7-11 is your only option, take a harder look. There's fresh fruit and veg in that same case where your salad and eggs came from. You can find tins of tuna in one of the aisles. If you *have to* have something to drink that's not plain water, go for some no sugar added fruit juice or milk. And then stop at the grocery on the way home and pick up some real food to bring to work with you the next day.

EMonger is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    Lots of 'buts' and such. Hey, you asked people to grade you.

No they don't, but they do say grains sucketh. Or Primal/paleo does anyway, not familiar with Atkins, but this isn't an Atkins site. Grains are carbs and grains sucketh, but not all carbs are grains. Carbs don't necessarily sucketh.

Inb4 what's good carbs: Veg, fruit, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, rice sometimes but depends what you believe in, blah blah etc.
    Regular potatoes? I've read that they're on the "sucketh" list, and that rice, while not good, is only minimally bad. For someone trying to lose weight, shouldn't rice be avoided?

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Get out of my head, dude.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Which you put in a little bottle to pack with the tupperware bowl that contains your salad.

liminal_luke is offline Member
    Hi EMonger!

Well you asked to be graded and you were. Ouch! If the question is "how closely does what I ate line up with perfect paleo/primal guidelines?" the answer is "not all that well." That certainly gives you some good information. May I suggest though that you ask a slightly different question: " how well does my lunch fit where I am right now in my personal dietary evolution"? This is a question only you can answer. Consider the possibility that while your lunch might not make the grade in an absolute sense it might still represent a considerable jump in quality for you personally. Maybe you're not ready, for instance, to give up soft drinks altogether right now and what you ate was appropriate for YOU. Afterall, it's your lunch.

pollo_la is offline Member
    Just to comment on the coke zero. I have been addicted to diet pepsi in the past - to the point where I was drinking it almost exclusively in place of water. I quit cold turkey and never looked back (about a year ago). I read too much information that scared the crap out of me to continue drinking it. Please, do whatever you have to do to convince yourself that this stuff is NOT safe for you. It is NOT a neutral food. Every drink you consume is doing all kinds of damage to your body. You would seriously be better off drinking a REAL coke with HFCS!!

Also, there are some simple Paleo salad dressings out there. Just google and look around. I actually came up with this one on my own (not 100% paleo because of the sugar though - you could probably use 2 T of honey in place of the sugar though???)

1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/4 cup Dijon or spicy mustard
    1/4 cup sugar

Put in a container and shake it up! A VERY good dressing if you like something sweet with a little zip. obviously you can try to cut out the sugar. I am gradually reducing it as time goes by and my taste adjust to having less sugar.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    as a truck driver, it may take a little more effort. but i'm sure you pass grocery stores all the time. buy yourself a nice cooler. stock it with high quality ingredients. you can also buy dressings made from quality ingredients. carbs are not your enemy. you can buy plenty of pre-cut, washed and bagged veggies. you can buy fruit. you can buy good cheeses and cold cuts that you can pack in your cooler.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast