Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex-vegan going Primal in the UK page

amyeek is offline Member

Ex-vegan going Primal in the UK

Shop Now
    Just to cover what I have done in other threads - I was veggie from age 11. I had been toying with it for a long while before that, but was inevitably defeated by ham sandwiches in my lunch. When I was 11, my mum became Buddhist, and the whole family turned veggie. I continued as veggie (with occasional pescetarian lapses) until age 20.

At 20, I had a crisis of conscience, which I think I can now recognise as the beginnings of an existential crisis (Catholic school will do that for you). So I turned vegan. At first I lost two dress sizes, given I was living on bananas, salsa, crudites, red wine, coffee and cigarettes at the time.

Then at 21 I met my now fiancee, and ate more. On the face of it, it was a healthy diet, (CW vegan wise), and I gradually crept back up two dress sizes. Uncomfortable, at 22/23 I went raw vegan for a few months. I lost a dress size, but felt sore, wired, and weird. So I lapsed even more, and gained back all the weight.

In an attempt to lose the weight, I went back to being plain old vegetarian, and joined Slimming World. Mistake. I gained another five pounds, and felt awful.

So now here I am. I've been intermittent fasting a few weeks, and primal a couple of weeks. I'd read up a lot before starting. I now am comfortable with eating meat from a conscience point of view, and ate my first piece of meat in 13 years a couple of days ago - lamb. It was my first ever piece of lamb. I'd been back on the fish a while before as part of the awful Slimming World.

I weighed 149lbs when I started, I'm now 145, and I'm aiming for 126 (wrote the wrong number before!). It feels like an enormous amount to lose, though I have done it before, it ain't been the healthy way.

Here we go!
    Last edited by amyeek; 05-15-2013 at 03:21 AM.

amyeek is offline Member
    Intermittent fasting is hard on days like today. I want to eat ALL THE FOOD. At present it is chucking it down with rain and is very cold in England.

amyeek is offline Member
    All the food at the company pub lunch looked gross to me, so despite a call out of advice here, which was much appreciated, unless I wanted a burger and chips, all that was available really was carrots, peas, and brocolli in a small amount of butter, about a handful's worth, and a salad with no dressing of a slightly larger size. Got home and had an utterly disgusting tin of sardines, so plumped for two small cups of tea with whole milk. Just under 500 cals. OH is doing well on the IF of two days a week 500 cals - me, it didn't go so well (perhaps because the 500 cals were horrible). I nearly fainted this morning, and so ended up having a banana, a probiotic drink, and a mug of tea with whole milk, at 7am. Feel better now, but I felt so dreadful all yesterday and this morning. I think I'm better suited to 16/8. I may try it again on a day where I have better control of where those calories are coming from.

For some reason I am presently seriously craving chicken, having not eaten it or thought about it in 13 years.

Big salad with eggs for lunch today, roll on 1pm...
    6 May 2014 - 149lbs
    15 May 2014 - 143lbs
    Goal - Healthy, lean, happy, somewhere around 9 stone.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    hi there...I'm originally from north east england but been settled in Scotland for many years.

I don't think I could do the 500 cal IF - for me it's easier to eat nothing than not enough. I do probably a 17/7-ish in that I generally don't eat after 8pm (maybe 8:30 on training evenings), until lunch around 1:15 the next day. I do have some coconut oil in my coffee in the mornings so technically not fasting but it seems to work well enough.

How are you finding eating meat after all this time - is it hard on your digestion, and are you enjoying it?

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    lamb really is a good choice in the uk- its the least interfered with meat and pasture fed. If you fancy chicken treat yourself to a good one, go free range. I'm following a low cal diet too-eating around 500 a day. max 800 min 300 but i couldn't fast every other day- Id be on my back
    could you do a 500 cal day followed by a 16/8 day? or a 500 followed by a 300? I'm succeeding because I feel good and know myself well enough that Id drop out if i felt like crap

amyeek is offline Member
    Hi both! spuggygirl, how are you finding the primal lifestyle with the crap weather we invariably get? My digestion is coping absolutely fine, which is a nice surprise! ETA - oh and yes, really enjoying meat, thanks! So much better than the fake stuff.

CarbDodger, my fiancee is cooking me some free range chicken right now, excited to try it. How are you coping with so few calories?

Today I'll have had 1800 cals - dinner will be ready in about 45mins. Two bananas, two double cream cups of tea, 1 probiotic drink, a big salad with soft boiled egg, an apple, moroccan chicken with broccoli and spinach, some snacking chorizo (delicious!), 3 pieces maya chocolate, and two rice cakes with Kerrygold butter. The last is naughty, I know, but it's my lady time and so my cravings are insane. To clock in at 1800 is really quite good, compared to what I would usually have on the first day of my period!
    6 May 2014 - 149lbs
    15 May 2014 - 143lbs

amyeek is offline Member
    Chicken - is - AWESOME. Had it in a Moroccan style sauce OH made. I kept closing my eyes as I chewed, I enjoyed it so much!
    6 May 2014 - 149lbs
    15 May 2014 - 143lbs

amyeek is offline Member
    Oh dear - apricots = football stomach yesterday. Seem to have deflated by this morning, but wow...

IF day today. Not eaten anything yet, going to see when I can last til. Haven't experienced hunger yet, and last ate at 9pm yesterday. I did not enjoy a full day of eating compared to the 16/8 pattern I had got into, so I don't think 5:2 will suit me.
    6 May 2014 - 149lbs
    15 May 2014 - 143lbs

amyeek is offline Member
    Didn't eat til 5.30pm. When I did, it was my first ever beef jerky!

Then had a dinner of local farm sausages (first sausages in thirteen years) with onions and spinach in a honey mustard sauce, some stilton and butter, some red wine, and a very non primal dessert of key lime pie, ice cream, and chocolate raisins.
    6 May 2014 - 149lbs
    15 May 2014 - 143lbs

amyeek is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Yesterday: period cravings all over the place. Had primal pancakes (1 egg, 1/2 banana, spices, butter) at midday, followed by a punnet of strawberries a friend brought over, and then watched Eurovision and ate cheese, chorizo, parma ham, olives, pepperdew peppers, sun dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, and a couple of naughty crackers. And some red wine. Today's food will likely be much the same with the addition of some sausages.
    6 May 2014 - 149lbs
    15 May 2014 - 143lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast