Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh deer, yummy deer...... page

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member

Oh deer, yummy deer......

Primal Fuel
    Just found a local wild game butcher that says they can do pretty much any venison cut I want.. so help me out guys.. what do I ask for?
    I like the more fatty cuts & know venison tends to be lean but he says he can do untrimmed cuts etc.
    Do they portion venison the same as cattle?

Couple things I already have on my list are Osso Bucco, Middle Neck steaks, Heart & Liver. oh and marrow bones
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    there is usually stuff all fat on any of the deer i have shot or been given. if you are lucky, it is on the back and around the ribs. otherwise lean as. i never even get enough fat to render. so.... i have no idea if venison is portioned the same as cattle. you could prob google. i like lumps of meat so after the fillets and the back straps, denver leg i think it is called. the rest, i either steak or chop into smaller pieces. no clues what it is all officially called as i just get the sharp knife and seam bone out the legs and cut. it all tastes good. do you know what type of deer it is?

Red deer & Roe deer, occasionally Sitka deer.
    Yeah I figure its gonna be pretty lean so i dont want them cutting off what fat is there.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    it will be minimal. some of the bigger red stags have fat apparently but i guess it would be more likely there in the autumn. big stags also dont taste as good. we get fallow and red near us. i prefer fallow. sitka are in the north island. i've always wanted to get a piece of each and compare.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    My local farmers market sells ground venison - which I like because it's cheaper than steaks and cooks fast. My favourite way to eat it is browned with onions, bacon and fresh rosemary, salt and pepper (and a little extra fat if necessary).

For actual recipes, any kind of stew for which I would normally use beef cubes seems to work well with chunks o' Bambi.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    I like the backstraps, but they do tend to be very lean. I cook them in butter or lard to add fat and aid in cooking without overcooking. Venison tends to cook very fast. Sometimes I'll cut them them and pound them flat, dip in milk or beaten egg, then coat in seasoned almond flour, and fry in butter. Or cook in lard and cover with sautéed onions, mushrooms and melted cheese.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I know from experience (butchering deer myself) that there's pretty much no fat on them. I'd go for whatever you can get - haunch, shoulder, fillet, etc and cook with lots of extra fat. I pretty much always try to marinade the meat in wine and oil or vinegar and oil (olive, of course) to tenderise it first.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    can we not talk about venison? please. I used up the last of my venison a couple weeks ago and bow season doesn't start up until September.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

OneBigDude is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    can we not talk about venison? please. I used up the last of my venison a couple weeks ago and bow season doesn't start up until September.
    I'm in the same boat...Finished the last bit of my venison backstraps last week

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well i have venison rump steaks for supper (picked up at the local dairy as they sometimes get
    Stuff from the game butcher im going to be ordering from) think im gonna wrap it in bacon...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast