Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrified of CrossFit page 2

mark2741 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    It depends somewhat on the box (if it is a box where the majority of patrons are already high-performing athletes then that can be awkward). But keep in mind that the WODs are usually pretty difficult at most boxes, most of the time. Another reply mentioned that people who struggle the most are those with poor cardio and I agree wholeheartedly with that. In my case, I stuck it out for almost 6 months at my crossfit box, but my cardio level never got better. And when you're huffing and puffing at the end of the warmup, and your heart rate is already through the roof, then that makes the actual WOD not very helpful.

In my case, I never really improved after the first few weeks - my cardio capacity never got better, and my weightlifting never got better because of the speed at which it is expected to be performed during the timed WODs.

Once I finally quit crossfit and focused on doing the olympic lifting on my own, with proper form and for heavy weights (versus the lower/scaled weights 'for time' that crossfit promotes) I really improved. Also, my cardio has improved greatly from working out on my own. To the point where I am considering buying a 10-class pass to my local crossfit box again just to walk in there and kick their asses : )

Bottom line: if you're the type who cares what others think, and you're not in shape, then crossfit may not be for you. Put a timer or scoreboard in front of me and I'll literally kill myself during the WOD, which in my case is not good for my health...others don't give a hoot and have no problem doing a bar-only snatch while everyone else is doing Rx. YMMV.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Terrified? Settle down; it's a workout, not a battle to the death with a grizzly bear.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KotikBegemotik View Post
    Hi Folks!

I'm considering doing a month of CrossFit. however some of the stories are scaring the crap out of me. I'm not exactly in great shape, not at all...and then I hear about people wiping blood, sweat, tears, and vomit off the floor after their workout and I get kinda terrified.

Any folks who started out in CrossFit as complete beginners who could share their experiences?

Thank you so much!
    I think you have answered it yourself with your signature!

For a moment I thought that was a reply posted by somebody to your question!!
    Few but ripe.

Off Duty is offline Member

Cool

So how did it go?

FWIW, I started crossfit back on October 2012.

Although in my younger years I had spent quite a bit of time in the gym, I was now a 56 your old, fat bald dude.
    400m run?
    Please! I walked it and was still out of breath.

I was 250+, and probably in the worst cardiovascular condition of my life.
    I was ready to puke during the warm up, and had it not been pre-breakfast, I might have been successful.(lol).

I was fortunate to have a great lady for a coach.
    I wasn't all that impressed with the approach of the male coaches, but the lady that I got hooked up with was great!!

I'll skip all the details, but suffice to say that she knew what she was doing, and had my best interest in mind.

I did an on-ramp style program with her, followed by 3-4 weeks of personal training.
    I also learned to leave my ego at the door!!

I handled the weight I could handle, took whatever time I needed to complete the WOD's, did rowing instead of running (due to severe shin spints), and used the rings instead of a pull up bar.

The cost was stupid, but for the results, I found it $$$ well spent.
    I loved CF and looked forward to the WOD's and the "family" I had joined.

Unfortunately, an old military knee injury took me down, accompanied by a "newly" torn rotator cuff
    So for the time being, I'm back in a conventional gym doing lower body weight work, and body weight work for reps.
    No upper body weight work for now, other than the rehab workouts that my PT gave me.

Not sure if I'll go back to FT crossfit, but I will always make WOD work a part of my gym routine, and will always be thankful for the gains (and losses) that crossfit brought.

When I stopped, I was 200 (196 now), and down from a 44 (tight) pant, to a 36, and seeing cuts, mass and definition, that I haven't seen since I was in my late 20's early/mid 30's!!!

Blood?
    Yes, there was blood.
    As previously mentioned, there are the bloody hands.
    It seems some of these knuckleheads think bloody/torn hands are somehow a "badge of honor," and that anyone wearing gloves (*Gasp!*) is somehow inferior .

There is also the occasional missed box jump.
    We had two that I saw personally, that required stitches to close the wounds on their shin(s) when they missed a box jump.
    The key to preventing these sort of injuries, is wearing the proper gear (gloves for instance), and allowing your hands to properly get used to the added impact of crossfit, and concentration!
    As soon as you lose your focus on the box jumps, that's about the time you'll scrape the first few layers of epidermis off the front of your legs!

With all that said, I would still recommend crossfit for those that want to get in overall great shape.
    You won't develop a body builders physique, but you WILL develop muscle and stamina that will assist you in daily life.

There are those who, as a previous post mentioned, may not gain a benefit from CF, but the vast majority will.
    Especially if the box has a proper intro or "on ramp" program, and you stick to proper form over Rx.

Check the ego, go in there and be the best "you" can be, and the hell with what anyone else thinks, and you'll do fine.

Good luck with it.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Bleeding is kinda accident related, but puking is completely up to you. I dry heave (the fasted workout equivalent of puking ) doing my personal non-cf workouts if I want to... i.e. if I've deemed the intensity should be that high.

All you can do is give it a try. If your not comfortable with something (exercise, weight, spandex, or whatever) don't let anyone make you feel inadequate for not wanting to risk it. I prefer a BBS style workout for life long strength and health, but crossfit looks like a blast in terms of athletic competition. Guess it depends on your goals.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-16-2013 at 06:34 AM.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I'm really enjoying CrossFit. I think the "competitive" aspect drives me to work harder and gives me the push I need to make gains in strength, speed etc. I feel like if I just lifted on my own, there is no way I would even attempt what I do at CrossFit. I also like being pushed on the cardio to keep up with those around me. I generally don't push hard and often end up with a lot of gas left in the tank so it's cool to really push and improve in that venue.

In terms of getting "tore up" I do have callouses on my hands and often have a lot of bruises on my legs.

I think anytime you "move up" athletically in what you are asking yourself, it will be a little scary and intimidating. I think it's a sign you are pushing yourself. I like seeing a WOD and being kind of nervous because I know it will make me better. If you go in and watch the class or read the WOD and are like "boom, easy", the you probably aren't undertaking a program that will improve you that much.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post

There is also the occasional missed box jump.
    We had two that I saw personally, that required stitches to close the wounds on their shin(s) when they missed a box jump.
    The key to preventing these sort of injuries, is wearing the proper gear (gloves for instance), and allowing your hands to properly get used to the added impact of crossfit, and concentration!
    As soon as you lose your focus on the box jumps, that's about the time you'll scrape the first few layers of epidermis off the front of your legs!
    Oh, box jumps. I've gotten injured on box jumps twice already. Not serious injuries, thankfully. The first time I lost my balance on top of the box and fell over forward, ended up on the other side of the box. Banged my knee.

Just last Friday, I missed the stupid box, and banged my shin. There was a bit of blood too. And it hurt. A LOT. It hurt all day too. I had to ice it all weekend.

Both times I was lucky in that it wasn't worse. Both times it happened when I was tired and rushing. I need to remember to NEVER rush through box jumps. Too dangerous.

I actually really like box jumps. I like the jumping motion and how it feels. But I'm always afraid that I'm going to develop a box jump phobia because of the number of times I've gotten injured on it. Eck!

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Terrified? Settle down; it's a workout, not a battle to the death with a grizzly bear.
    yes but I bet battleing to the death with a grizzly bear once a week would get you in far better shap then CF ever could
    04/23/2012 Max Weight : 448 lbs
    01/01/2014 Initial Weight : 438 lbs
    10/20/2014 Current weight : 328 lbs
    12/31/2015 Goal weight : 228 lbs

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I did not start as a complete beginner, but I injured myself rather seriously after a month of doing scaled down (weight, not reps) + modified version of exercises that I simply cannot do. I was doing double-unders after 150 ball throws, misjudged how tired I was, fell and twisted my knee.

That's not why I stopped doing scaled-down WODs. Following that schedule gave me inferior results than a combination of lifting with some cardio and sprints.

I really do not think Cross-fit is effective unless you are a super-duper athlete, and can do the WODs with the weights indicated. Cross-fit is basically a sport once you achieved an elite level of fitness.
    Last edited by Leida; 06-17-2013 at 09:34 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Injuries are bound to occur when you are sacrificing form for the sake of attaining a certain number of reps within an allotted time. Many of the exercises done within a Cross fit gym are great and the whole idea of circuits is also good, however, watching some of the cross fit video's on You tube just make me cringe when they break form in an attempt to finish their required reps.

Cartoon captions like this one didn't appear without good reason !

For anyone that likes the idea of ' Functional training ' and would like to do it on their own without joining a Cross fit gym, this You tube channel has some of the best workouts I have come across, the man is an animal ! :

https://www.youtube.com/user/getitdonefitness
    Last edited by OldSchhool; 06-17-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast