Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where do we get all the carbs we need? page 2

Shop Now
    That's why im so confused when i hear people who eat nothing but meat and greens all day... they cant be going over 15g carbs, and mark suggests a 50g minimum... ???

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ForgotMyOldUsername View Post
    That's why im so confused when i hear people who eat nothing but meat and greens all day... they cant be going over 15g carbs, and mark suggests a 50g minimum... ???
    Different strokes for different folks...
    Some people are very comfortable at those low levels.
    Others aren't.
    Everyone has to find their own groove.

The way I see it the only thing of real importance is the part about sticking to real, whole, natural foods.
    The rest has to be fine tuned to the individuals needs, and that is going to vary a lot.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Different strokes for different folks...
    Some people are very comfortable at those low levels.
    Others aren't.
    Everyone has to find their own groove.

The way I see it the only thing of real importance is the part about sticking to real, whole, natural foods.
    The rest has to be fine tuned to the individuals needs, and that is going to vary a lot.
    Thanks cori! do you mean these people have better luck losing on lower carbs, or they generally just feel better that way? im just curious because my body composition is excellent right now, but i dont feel good... id like to add more carbs but im nervous ill see gains.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks cori! do you mean these people have better luck losing on lower carbs, or they generally just feel better that way? im just curious because my body composition is excellent right now, but i dont feel good... id like to add more carbs but im nervous ill see gains.
    Some people lose better lower for various reasons... appetite control being one for people who struggle with binge eating, cutting weight/building muscle "steak n' eggz style".
    Others have reasons to go/stay Keto like brain issues(Me and Paleobird for instance.)... others just feel great sticking to mostly meat(Kinfegill for instance).
    As long as eating high fat/low carb is not blunting your appetite so that you under eat if you are at your ideal weight you'll be fine. But I think that is where some people might get into problems. An already thin person going HFLC and then getting the reduced appetite could under eat easily IMO if not paying attention the calories being consumes and making some effort to track and maintain for a while to establish an eating pattern.

But if you should not fear eating carbs from good whole food sources. Lost of people here also lose weight better eating higher carb lower fat because their satiety/satiation mechanisms are different. They are bulky and hard to over eat compared to processed foods. Plus they are good for you. No reason to avoid them really unless you want to or because they produce some effect in you that is undesirable such as some people find they are intolerant to white potatoes/tomatoes/peppers(nightshades).
    N=1 and all.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Some people lose better lower for various reasons... appetite control being one for people who struggle with binge eating, cutting weight/building muscle "steak n' eggz style".
    Others have reasons to go/stay Keto like brain issues(Me and Paleobird for instance.)... others just feel great sticking to mostly meat(Kinfegill for instance).
    As long as eating high fat/low carb is not blunting your appetite so that you under eat if you are at your ideal weight you'll be fine. But I think that is where some people might get into problems. An already thin person going HFLC and then getting the reduced appetite could under eat easily IMO if not paying attention the calories being consumes and making some effort to track and maintain for a while to establish an eating pattern.

But if you should not fear eating carbs from good whole food sources. Lost of people here also lose weight better eating higher carb lower fat because their satiety/satiation mechanisms are different. They are bulky and hard to over eat compared to processed foods. Plus they are good for you. No reason to avoid them really unless you want to or because they produce some effect in you that is undesirable such as some people find they are intolerant to white potatoes/tomatoes/peppers(nightshades).
    N=1 and all.
    You're the best... thanks for taking the time to write all that!!

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    I'm a "meat and greens" guy, it's more like 50g carbs, or 35g net. Very easy to hit that with small sides of asparagus, spinach, or kale with each meal, plus eggs have carbs. Munch a cucumber for a snack. Bam 50g.

What I don't get is 100g, that's extremely challenging for me. Only exceeded it once or twice in 4 months. Basically requires eating a truck load of sweet potatoes, and I get exhausted after the second potato.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    One cup of cooked plantain slices has about 50g of carbs.

One cup of cooked sweet potato has like 40g.

One medium banana has about 30g.

This isn't rocket science.
    Eat some food for those carbs.
    wait.. it isn't rocket science? hahaha

seriously though, 1 cup of cooked rice is 45 grams and a large potato is 63 grams. wtf is wrong with people?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    ^ because we don't eat rice and potatoes.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    sucks for you. do you eat bananas? other fruit? plantains? peppers? tomatoes? various squash? if you arbitrarily choose not to eat perfectly healthy foods, then you need to figure out how to substitute for the lack of that macro. again, this isn't rocket science
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Who is we? I do. Most people on this forum do, actually.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast