Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please Help: Husband died recently from heart attack page 2

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Traderjodie View Post
    Here is my question: If you knew your children had a very very strong family history of heart disease and obesity, what would you do? What would you feed them?
    Easier to say what not to feed them -- sugar and white flour.

Traderjodie is offline Junior Member
    Thank you so much everyone for the sympathy and the suggestions. The idea of whole foods, minimally processed seems right. But how do you all feel about meet, especially red meat and chicken with skin. My kids love it. I absolutely do not have the funds for grass fed anything, especially now. What would you do?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Yes on the red meat, the chicken with skin on. Plus yes on pork chops, lamb chops, and all other creatures of the air, sea or land with any parts of their bodies fit to eat (i.e. not beaks and hooves.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    OP, I am so sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Yup. That's the top thing to battle obesity/metabolic syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjodie
    Thank you so much everyone for the sympathy and the suggestions. The idea of whole foods, minimally processed seems right. But how do you all feel about meet, especially red meat and chicken with skin. My kids love it. I absolutely do not have the funds for grass fed anything, especially now. What would you do?
    Do the best you can. Both red meat and chicken skin are awesome, even when not grass-fed.

Organ meat is awesome, and cheap. Eggs and tins of fish are cheap high quality protein sources too.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    My deepest sympathy. Please remember Jung said it takes 7 years to get over the loss of a parent. Don't push yourself. Mourning is natural.

I also think that, although CW science considers it significant, your parents were probably propagandized into a bad diet that could easily have caused heart disease. Risk factors are statistical only, thus not pertinent to any single person. It might be somewhat more applicable to know the causes of death of all 4 grandparents.

I'd choose a primal diet with plenty of dairy for the children and try to get as natural foods as possible, i.e. organic, grass-fed, wild, etc. with NO added chemicals or processing.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Midge is offline Junior Member
    So sorry for your family's loss! Keep the kids away from as much processed as possible! Sending prayers to you and your kids!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    I would add processed oils to that and then be satisfied with that list.

To the OP - I am so very sorry for your loss. But I find it amazing that you are already trying to make something good come from the tragedy. Keeping yourself and your children healthy would be a lovely honor to your husband.

For the children, I would allow them to eat any unprocessed foods they want. Meat, veggies, fruit, potatoes, nuts....all healthy and satisfying for children and adults. If you can keep them off the fast food-doritos-sugary snack every five minutes- diet that most kids are on you will be doing them a great service.

For testing, it is a big black box for kids. Doctors are now testing the cholesterol of small children and some are even recommending statins for teens. Personally, I would hold off on that stuff until they are older and then request a coronary calcium scan (or whatever new test is available to assess inflammation/blockage in the arteries).

Remember, the tests and strategies for dealing with this stuff will get better and better with time. So do you best to take care of your family, but don't feel resigned to fear this your whole life.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I would avoid nut and seed oils, processed sugar - especially corn syrup, and processed foods in general. Those three things will keep you healthy.

Stress reduction is huge with CHD, so teaching your children how to cope with anger and stress and how to take time out to rest and care for themselves will give them the tools they need to get through their grief as well as stay healthy for the rest of their lives.

Hugs and love to you and your family.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I try to feed my child a wide variety of meats and seafood, so there is no overload on the same kind. I think she regulates the intake naturally. Some days she can't have enough meat, others - she will only take a few bites. She does not like skin and fat on meats, so I do not insist on her eating it. I think it is important to have a lot of seafood available along with meat.

I do load freezer every year with grass-fed beef, heritage raised pork, source chickens from the farm that do not use antibiotics and force-feeding. The decision about red meat is hard when you are concerned about heart disease. However, to be honest, poultry seems worse to be honest in the grand scheme of things than grass-fed beef. Fish and seafood for me are ideal foods, but they are awfully expensive and I can't see my child doing only sea-food, though she LOVES shrimp, will eat some salmon or tilapia if it is a whole fish (no fillets)

Lately, the rule of thumb seems to be: less red meat UNLESS it is grass-fed. Because of the grass-fed clause, I would not eat pork very often. I consider not ordering a pig this year, and instead just have beef and lamb. It is a hard pick because I make lard and bacon myself from the pig. But the O3/O6 worries me where pork is concerned. I do not eat it myself, but my folks love it. So, hard choices.

I also think that it is important to source O6 eggs if you are not in the part of the country where the chickens can forage on grass a year long.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12