Thread: Minimalist Shoes and Ankles Swelling page

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member

Minimalist Shoes and Ankles Swelling

Shop Now
    I recently purchased a pair of Merrell minimalist trail shoes and have noticed that when I wear them my ankles swell really badly. It does not seem to matter if I am hiking, walking, standing or just wearing them for everyday use within an hour on being on my feet in them my ankles get huge! I have not had this problem with any of my other foot ware including my VFF's. I have switched foot ware from the Merrells to other types of standard shoes and the swelling goes away quickly but as soon as I put the Merrells back on it comes back. Anyone else have this issue or know what could be causing it?
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Poor circulation? I'd say don't wear them for an hour at a time to start with, and make sure you are walking with a toe-strike, not a heel-strike.

Are they too tight?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    That's just strange. I've been wearing Merrells for 3 to 4 years and have never had a problem. My right foot does swell occasionally, but it's done that for years, before I had the Merrells.

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Poor circulation? I'd say don't wear them for an hour at a time to start with, and make sure you are walking with a toe-strike, not a heel-strike.

Are they too tight?
    Hey nameless,
    I don't think it is poor circulation as it does not happen any other time than when I wear the Merrells as for being too tight maybe - I'll try them a little less tight next time.
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    My thought is that Merrell's Barefoot line has a discernible arch in them. Maybe the arch is hitting in the wrong spot, which throws your balance off and makes you work the ankles more or in an odd way or irritates the tendons?

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Merrell barefoot shoes do to have an arch support. The sole is somewhat formed to the foot, but it doesn't actually support it. I also have a pair of Altra Eve's and they too have a similar concave shape in the sole of the shoe.