Thread: Does Hormonal imbalance = depression? page

dacec is offline Senior Member

Does Hormonal imbalance = depression?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a 19 yr old daughter who has had trouble regulating her period over the last 8 -10 mos. finally she got off the pill and has her first normal cycle is a long time.

She also is depressed, which is new in the last year.

Could a hormonal imbalance be to blame here? Any advice n what testing to get or what we could do to help her balance out?
    She eats a mostly primal diet (but with dairy) and is gluten intolerant.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    It can cause depression, but is not always necessarily the cause.

It can take 3-4 months for the body to normalize hormone production after being on the pill. Give it some time and it may sort itself out with a good diet, but make sure she is talking to someone about her depression. She should not have to suffer needlessly. If her moods ever get to the point of her being a danger to herself, someone needs to know.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Thanks for responding Namlesswonder. We do not have insurance right now, but I am working on it finding her a counselor that we can work with.

I know that exercise and vit D are important. I had her taking GABA and 5htp + tyrosine but she was not very consistent with it. I am just trying to figure out what the next step would be...aside from getting her consistent with the sups. and exercise.

She has always been a happy go lucky girl so this is a definite turn and I am wondering what else can be done nutritionally to perk her up.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    I agree, monitor her spirit and emotions over 3 consecutive cycles. This amount of time may be the minimum allowed to measure if cycles are indeed normal. With the proper nutritional plan combined with this allotted time, should give her body a chance to catch up.

Depression involves many aspects, could be hormones, could be brain chemistry, could be just overall lack of energy.

Exercise can help with depression, but if a person lacks physical or mental energy, the ability or the motivation to exercise just isn't there.

Maybe also try have her eat more egg yolks, omega oils and some more nuts if she isn't allergic to any of those things.

I find it more fun to have these things incorporated in a morning green drink/smoothie.

Thank you Stephan,

She does like eggs, and has a small handful of almonds near daily.

She does have the energy to be active, her depression is not severe, but it is there and we are trying to help her map out a nutritional path out of it.

I will have her start keeping a log to help her see how her cycles relate to her mood.
    Every morning she has a smoothie but the spinach that we usually add seems to be triggering stomach aches, perhaps the oxalates? I need to find something green to slide in there.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Be sure she's getting enough carbs. I get super depressed if I go VLC for too long.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dacec View Post
    Thank you Stephan,

She does like eggs, and has a small handful of almonds near daily.

She does have the energy to be active, her depression is not severe, but it is there and we are trying to help her map out a nutritional path out of it.

I will have her start keeping a log to help her see how her cycles relate to her mood.
    Every morning she has a smoothie but the spinach that we usually add seems to be triggering stomach aches, perhaps the oxalates? I need to find something green to slide in there.
    I forgot to mention that supplementation with B Complex for the proper B Vitamin ratio may also help with depression symptoms and helping to support neurotransmitters.

Your daughter may or may not have had recent blood work, but I would check to see on her recent labs if they did any testing for B12 and or Folic Acid. (Increasing egg yolk ingestion/digestion will support these 2 along with a slew of other goodies).

Also, I know most of us look and focus nutritional approaches first and foremost and that is not wrong, but if somethings are still lingering even when proper modifications are made then most likely it isn't the food plan that's the problem or the solution.

People need to dream, have fun, get away from the boring life, achieve spiritual and romantic fulfillment etc.