Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tap / Shower water + toothpaste = Possible thyroid connection? page

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member

Tap / Shower water + toothpaste = Possible thyroid connection?

Shop Now
    Hey guys, I've been thinking about this recently as a possible cause of my fatigue, depression and brain fog. I'll outline what I mean here. For reference, I'm talking about London's water supply here, and I'm 17, Male if those details are important.

Years ago, before making the switch to the PB style of things, I decided to give up soft drinks and make the switch to tap water. I can't remember the reason why, but I was obviously hoping to improve on my health somewhat!

When I gave up the drinks and started having tap water on a regular basis, I immediately noticed the first effect; I was extremely thirsty and drinking large amounts every day! I remember that my throat always felt dry, and right after having a big gulp of tap water, I felt the need to have another drink straight away; it was almost as if the tap water was dehydrating me! My saliva was 'stringy', and the excessive thirst combined with the resulting excessive urination made me worry a whole lot. However, after a couple of weeks, my body seemed to have adapted. My thirst was more controlled and satisfiable, and I finally thought that I had made it past the disturbing 'adjustment'.

Recently, after contemplating to myself as to why I always feel foggy, glum and just downright depressed, I recalled some of the members' advice (from this forum) on a topic I posted previously, where I suggested all the possible reasons that I could think of to explain why I'm consistently in this foggy state. Here's the topic I made before:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...t-s-my-problem

In a nutshell, I've narrowed down the possibilities down to hypothyroidism and nutrient deficiencies. For the deficiencies, I've done a great job in having a greater variety of whole foods, and I supplement daily with Omega 3's and multivitamins. All that leaves is the water!

With that figured out, I switched from tap water to bottled water literally 3 days ago. I noticed certain effects straight away:

1. The water was 'lighter', and tasted superb despite tasting of nothing (as it should)
    2. Just like the transition from soft drinks to tap, I've been drinking a whole lot more water since making the switch!

As for my mood and energy, I've noticed something. When I'm consistently drinking bottled water and remaining hydrated, I feel pretty good! I manage to find enough motivation to exercise vigorously (not to the point of burnout; I feel energised and pumped afterwards!).

However, in the morning, this is a direct contrast. I've noticed that I was perfectly fine this morning, but after I had breakfast, brushed my teeth (flouride in toothpaste) and had a shower (chlorine and other metal exposure through the steam in condensation and skin exposure?), I felt like I hit rock bottom again. I was irritable, moody and just 'urgh'.

I've had these symptoms for years, and have spent the majority of the time in trying to make the connection. It seems like I've finally come across an answer, although my dad is getting pretty annoyed at me drinking over 2L of water a day. For the life of me, I can't understand why the transition is making me thirstier, more often, but I'm confident that this issue will go away in a couple of weeks.

Any thoughts, feel free to discuss!
    Thanks!

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like an iodine deficiency. Fluoride in the water (shower, tap, toothpaste), chlorine in the water (tap, shower) and the bromine in the sodas and everywhere else block iodine. I'd go to a holistic practitioner and get it checked out.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Drinking tap water is definitely asking for it -- not only do you get fluoride, chlorine and other toxic additives, but you get pharmaceutical remnants, estrogens, and heaven knows what else. I suggest running your tap water through a reverse osmosis filter. It's a little expensive at first, but far cheaper than drinking bottled water (and possibly even healthier, considering the additives in some bottled water).

If the steam from your shower is bothering you, maybe try cold showers instead. There is no steam at all and the cold water is good for your hair, skin, muscles etc. That might sound uncomfortable, but it only takes about a week to get used to it, and personally I have been taking only cold showers for the past couple of months.

KG
    Quote Originally Posted by EGYnutrition View Post
    Sounds like an iodine deficiency. Fluoride in the water (shower, tap, toothpaste), chlorine in the water (tap, shower) and the bromine in the sodas and everywhere else block iodine. I'd go to a holistic practitioner and get it checked out.
    Would the iodine deficiency explain my sudden increase in thirst, though? Also, unfortunately I don't think I can see a holistic practitioner any time soon, simply because I haven't got a clue as to how to find one! I'd rather try and apply different tips to get rid of the fog. It's seriously getting to me, it's pretty persistent!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Drinking tap water is definitely asking for it -- not only do you get fluoride, chlorine and other toxic additives, but you get pharmaceutical remnants, estrogens, and heaven knows what else. I suggest running your tap water through a reverse osmosis filter. It's a little expensive at first, but far cheaper than drinking bottled water (and possibly even healthier, considering the additives in some bottled water).

If the steam from your shower is bothering you, maybe try cold showers instead. There is no steam at all and the cold water is good for your hair, skin, muscles etc. That might sound uncomfortable, but it only takes about a week to get used to it, and personally I have been taking only cold showers for the past couple of months.
    Would a regular filter (such as a Brita water filter) be sufficient? It's not possible for me to buy a reverse osmosis filter any time soon, to be honest. I'll definitely try the cold showers though; I've heard of all the benefits from one of Mark's articles, if I remember right.

One 'clue' that might help is the fact that my brain fog is always there. Unlike with some people, where the fog lifts after having a meal or something, my fog is constantly there. I literally haven't felt clear-headed in years, so it's obviously a downer. I won't complain about it, I just need to put these things into practice, and the fact that it's an on-going, consistent state of mind must be some sorta hint as to what's causing it.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Flouride is not added to Thames Water: http://www.thameswater.co.uk/cps/rde...hs.xsl/900.htm

That's not to say there mightn't be a good reason to filter it. For my shower I bought one of these:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Sh...098645&sr=8-30

Not as good as a proper osmosis filter but a cheaper substitute. My hair and skin are a lot softer. Great if you want your cheeks to feel soft as a baby's bum!

emmie is online now Senior Member
    If your water is the problem (and I don't know that it is), only the reverse osmosis filter will help. However, I am hypothyroid and asked my endo about that because the filter is so expensive, and his advice was to ignore all the dire warnings about tap water because at least here in my town in the U.S., the water quality is monitored, and I get a quarterly report.

If you have thyroid problems, it could be due to iodine deficiency because, although relatively rare in developed countries, there are people who fail to process iodine well. I have a friend who was just diagnosed with severe iodine deficiency, and now it's possible that her already diagnosed hypothyroid condition was caused by the lack of iodine.

You need to get checked by a competent medical doctor. Unfortunately, it's not easy to get a doctor who is competent in testing and diagnosing thyroid problems. If your thyroid is the problem, regardless of the cause, you won't improve without Rx meds. Nothing OTC really helps.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Im not sure what the thirst is, could be something with the sympathetic nervous system... But from what I see and have read of yours, it's a thyroid/iodine problem. And it sounds like it's the water...

You need to get something that filters out fluoride, so maybe go to the local grocery store and ask around...

I don't agree that the tap water is safe, regardless of what any doctor says, but that's just my opinion.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Wngdwolf is offline Junior Member
    Because of the whole fluoride (yes, this is the correct spelling) issue, I decided a number of years ago to make my own toothpaste: I combine iodized salt and baking powder, with more salt than baking powder, in a small spice jar (used to have allspice in it). I wet my toothbrush , and just dip it in, and brush. It doesn't taste as bad as you'd think,and if you must ameliorate the taste, add a dash of cloves to the mix. But be careful - cloves are very strong!

Believe it or not, I saw this in the newspaper! It's so much more effective than regular toothpaste. You know that squeeky clean feeling your teeth get after you've been to the dentist? My teeth feel like that all the time now.

- Wngdwolf

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    I believe thyroid problems tend to be more chronic than acute. However, it definitely sounds like SOMEthing is going on. A shower filter sounds like a great idea!

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

KG
    I've thought this over and am listing all the symptoms I can think of that started alongside the brain fog. Thanks for mentioning the possibility of an iodine deficiency guys, because that is probably the issue here. Up until last week, I never ate seafoods, ever. Unless it was processed fish alongside my mashed potatoes back in the pre-primal days, I never even thought about touching anything from the sea. Speaking of last week, what I mean is that I ended up buying two halibut fillets, and they were pretty damn good. During that week, I saw some improvements in mood and had enough energy and motivation to do some calisthenics at home (body-weight workouts), with high intensity. This was a gradual change, and has only tapered off lately as well. I also switched to bottled water around this time, so perhaps it's a combination of both.

. Brain fog
    . Fatigue
    . Sleep is never refreshing (I researched extensively on this, and I'm doing everything right; no circadian rhythm disorders, no electronics after 9, etc.)
    . Apathy (I lack emotions, yet I still react to situations as I'm supposed to)
    . Hair loss (VERY recently and in very small amounts. I only noticed this after washing my hair in the shower, and saw a few strands of hair had fallen out)
    . Feeling cold (this is very rare. What I mean by this is that, regardless of the environment and weather conditions, at very sporadic times I suddenly feel chilly, and even get goosebumps even if it's a small breeze through the window. In fact, this happened yesterday for a brief amount of time, and eating food seemed to have stopped it. I wasn't actually hungry at the time, though).
    . Acne (I'm listing this to mention that, during my adolescence, at first I had regular pimples from time to time. Now it's severe acne, but I'm not saying that this is a symptom, but just making a mention if it happens to count).
    . Muscle weakness (eg. getting out of bed in the morning is actually physically difficult. Definitely not over-training, and exercising regularly enough when I can, but for the majority of the time I'm simply lacking the energy to do much).
    . Depression (result of these symptoms)

If it IS an iodine deficiency (which seems way too likely now), how can I correct it? There's loads of iodine supplements, so if I take those every day will my problem be corrected? Here's an example of one supplement I can get:

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...=35&prodid=440

I've also looked on Amazon.co.uk; there's more supplements there, but frankly I need to evaluate whether they will help, and how long it may take to correct the issue.

Once I have the money, I'll also buy the shower filter, make a switch to a non-fluoride toothpaste, and either continue to buy bottled water (leaps and bounds better than tap) or buy a BRITA water filter. A reverse osmosis filter doesn't seem necessary when our water supply has no fluoride.

Thanks for the help guys. Mentioning iodine has been a real eye-opener!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast