Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Study: eating less at breakfast will not make you hungrier at lunchtime page

Erik W is offline Member

Study: eating less at breakfast will not make you hungrier at lunchtime

A study by the Medical Research Center in Cambridge found that reducing one's breakfast could help in losing weight, as test subjects did not eat more at lunchtime to compensate.

Those who eat primal will have less use of this I think, since our food intake is healthy, but it is good to know for family members who eat sandwiches for breakfast.

Academics served cereal, milk, scrambled egg, ham, brown toast with butter and orange juice to 33 overweight people in the study.

However, they covertly reduced the portion sizes for some of the participants, and then counted their calories over the rest of the day to see if it had any impact on their eating habits.

They found that the difference in size did not affect the amount of food the participants ate over the rest of the day.

Breakfast portion size was reduced by up to 40% in the study by the MRC Human Nutrition Research Unit, resulting in up to 269 fewer calories consumed over the course of the day.

WIChuck is offline Member
    I've never found breakfast did anything except make me hungrier for lunch. Now, if I am actually working hard in the morning, it helps, but with the intense physical effort required of an office worker, breakfast feels like empty calories.
    Last edited by WIChuck; 05-15-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: incompetent spelling

Erik W is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WIChuck View Post
    I've never found breakfast did anything except make me hungrier for lunch. Now, if I am actually working hard in the morning, it helps, but with the intense physical effort required of an office worker, breakfast feels like empty calories.
    It is good to eat breakfast, it makes your body function better, whether you know it or not. And it is good to eat regular meals over the day. A typical way to gain weight is when especially guys skip meals - skip breakfast and only eat something quick for lunch - then binge when it is time for dinner. With less meals your body gets the signal that it is starving and must save calories, and so you gain weight and have a hard time reprogramming your body from that state.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Say, if you do reduce cereals and toasts, you actually reduce wheat consumption, therefore ingestion of the gliadin protein which induces more hunger (that's one of the side effects of gliadin when it gets to your brain: it makes you more hungry).

If I ate only primal or so during breakfast (eggs, high quality ham, a couple of fruits maybe, butter, etc), I tell you: I would skip lunch altogether!!

Moreover, after experimenting with various IF protocols, I can say that (in my case), the morning breakfast is completely unecessary. My need for eating in the morning was actually a habit and that can be totally "reprogrammed".
    Last edited by dkJames; 05-16-2013 at 02:13 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If I eat breakfast, I need three meals. If I don't, I need only two meals, or maybe even just one sometimes. I ate breakfast religiously for years and the weight just crept up on me.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    If I eat breakfast, I need three meals.
    Really ?? I should think if you ate tons of proteins and fat, it would be hard to be hungry around noon but maybe that's just me.

If I don't, I need only two meals
    Is it because you are tied to a meal schedule influenced by your daily work activities ? I would think that skipping breakfast would force many people to two meals as well because of time restrictions.

I ate breakfast religiously for years and the weight just crept up on me.
    Were you "primal" during those years ? Over-consuming calories maybe ? It's hard to draw a precise conclusion from your experience.

My weight crept up because of excess grains in my meals (a lot of oatmeal, bread, pasta, etc, at each and every meal, with lots of fat usually). When I started primal, I kept the 3 meals / day but I tell you, I lost 25 lbs in ~ 2.5 months. It's therefore tricky to draw conclusions on the breakfast influence in weight loss / gain. I think it has more to do with the kind of foods you have, as my experience has shown to me.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I agree with eKatherine...I always ate breakfast religiously. Even after going primal I would eat a huge protein and fat breakfast and still struggle to get through to lunch. These days I have coffee with a little coconut oil and do well right through to lunch at around 1:15pm.

Interestingly, I experimented again with this yesterday as I'm concerned I'm not eating enough on days after heavy workouts. I had four eggs scrambled in butter and a load of mushrooms for breakfast and was famished by 11am.

As far as I'm concerned around breakfast - less is more.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    As a woman I don't need that many calories. I was hungry at noon whether or not I ate breakfast. I just decided long before I ever heard of IF that I'd rather eat 2 good meals than 3 smaller ones.

I wasn't Primal at the time. I started that a long time ago, about the time I gave up gluten.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    It is good to eat breakfast, it makes your body function better, whether you know it or not. And it is good to eat regular meals over the day. A typical way to gain weight is when especially guys skip meals - skip breakfast and only eat something quick for lunch - then binge when it is time for dinner. With less meals your body gets the signal that it is starving and must save calories, and so you gain weight and have a hard time reprogramming your body from that state.
    You have been lied to on so many levels, it may take months for you to rehab and learn the truth.

Edited to remove accidental inclusion of post to which quote was response to.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 05-16-2013 at 03:38 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    You have been lied to on so many levels, it may take months for you to rehab and learn the truth.
    yeah, completely agree. The excerpt you quoted here is so full of crap, I can only grin ... or cry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast