36 ounces beef stock
    2 chopped green onions
    6 tomatoes or 1 can
    2-3 tsp arrowroot
    3 tablespoons red wine(optional) but tasty
    1 bouquet garni
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
    1) Dry Fry the oxtail pieces (or you can use dripping or butter if you want). when browned on all sides add the vegetables to the pan and cook them in the fat from the oxtail for a few minutes until they are lightly browned.
    2) Pour the beef stock into the pan with the fried oxtail and vegetables, add the bouquet garni.
    3) Bring to the boil and then transfer to a crockpot and cook on high for 5-6 hours (or longer if necessary; you cant easily overcook this) until the meat is tender and falling off the bone.
    4) Strain the stock, and remove all the bones and the bouquet garni then return the stock, meat and veg to the pot.
    5) Puree with a hand blender to the consistency you want (smooth or rough).
    6) Mix the arrowroot and the wine (if using, if not use liquid from the pan but allow to cool,or just mix with a little water) and add to the soup. Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes to thicken. * you can omit this step if you prefer it un-thickened
    Freeze what you aren't using straight away in portion sizes

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Interesting timing- I saw oxtails at the supermarket yesterday and was wondering what I would do with them if I bought them. I had no idea, so didn't buy them.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    next time get them, its a wonderful filling soup, rich and flavoursome and somehow luxurious. I'll be taking it to work with me for lunch for a few days. incidentally oxtail is a superb addition to any slow cooked beef dish giving them added depth and a more complex flavour. it also makes a brilliant stew on its own

Pillow is offline Member
    Yummy!

Ox tails are delicious, but very expensive in our area, $4.99 lb... Which is a lot for ox tails IMO. So we rarely buy them.

... Granted this sounds even better served on top of slow cooked grits! (no no no not primal)
    Full on Primal family and loving it!!!
    This is going to be a big year for vitamins and minerals!

I have one on the slow cooker right now - 12 hours in and 12 to go - I pick the meat off the bones and add it back in small pieces after reducing the stock and taking off the fat ( to be used another day ).
    I get my meat from Hockeys Farm in the New Forest CarbDodger. I also add a beef tendon from my local chinese supermarket for extra gelatinousness - mmmm !!

thanks for that tip alison - it looks good
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-14-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Thanks CD, I have it cooking now. What approx weight would 4 oxtails be? I bought a package 1.75lb and it seems fine with the proportions of the other ingredients. Having it tonight...I'll let you know how it goes!

mike is offline Senior Member
    How much are 2 oxtails in kilos? I see them all the time here but I haven't bought them because my wife doesn't eat beef (and she's from Argentina!!!) But as cook of the house I have resigned myself to cooking two meals - one for her and one for me and I'm especially up for ones that can be frozen. Its full on summer here so I'm not thinking too much of soups and stews but those ox tails look so tasty I may have to give it a try...

around 1-1.5 kilo per tail ; you don't need to be exact but if your buying pieces use 2-3 kilos.
    wife might like it actually; in my opinion it the taste isnt beefy oddly enough more savoury- definitely not at all like a beef stew taste for example
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 07-02-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    It was yuuummmmy! Kids liked it too. (Blending up the cooked veggies is key for the kids.). So I only had about 1 oxtail--sounds like I should have about 4 lb. of meat instead of the 1.75 I had, and it wasn't very meaty, But very flavorful. I put in more carrots, added some garlic, and at the end, instead of wine I added herbs (oregano, dill, thyme). Thanks again for the recipe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast