Thread: Wieght loss and fruit page

rcav8r is offline Senior Member

Wieght loss and fruit

Primal Fuel
    I'm just starting out on this lifestyle, and right now my goal is weight loss.

The book says to take it easy with the fruits when weight loss is the goal. But how much is too much, especially when I'm still in the early stages and get cravings to eat?

I have apples, oranges, and banannas available right now.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Fruits and fruits are different things with respect to weight loss, like grapefruit versus mangos or berries versus banana etc. Fruits high in sugars or starches should be limited if your goal is losing weight...

Harpua is offline Member
    I had much better success w/ weight loss after I cut out the fruit. I make the occasional banana pancake but that is about it. The fruit did help transition me into this lifestyle though.
    M/35/5'10"
    SW: 325lbs
    Paleo start: 2/6/2013 @303lbs

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Hi, i started about the same weight as you 4 weeks ago and am eating to control my blood sugar and hopefully slow down a cancer. so far i've lost 20+ lbs, losing weight is an added bonus!. Ive cut out all grain based foods and processed carbs.
    I eat fruit 3 portions each day (30-50 carbs). I have found berries (strawberries, blue berries,blackberries raspberries and cherries), nectarines and peaches best. I don't eat oranges, bananas, pineapple or melon but do have the occasional apple or pear. I eat eggs daily and meat or fish once or twice a day. I'm also not eating a large amount of fat but am not low fat. Since cutting out all the grains and processed carbs i am losing around 7lbs a week. I also find I'm enjoying the veggies more now my palates clean of sugars and processed foods.
    i currently count carbs and calories on fitday and will continue to do so until I am more used to this way of eating.
    good luck
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-14-2013 at 11:15 AM.

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    As a side note, yesterday, I tried the pork stuffed peppers from the user contributed cookbook for dinner. I could only eat a few bites, didn't really care too much for the taste, and then no longer felt hungry, except for a strawberry. I didn't feel any hunger for a couple of hours, when a snack of a boiled egg and a piece of jerky satisfied the small hunger I had. Then a couple of hours later, some nuts and a few bites of jerky.
    Went home, went to sleep, then didn't feel hungry for a few hours after waking up.

Strange, I thought I'd be "starving" for something to eat, since I'm new at this.

Today, I had flank steak, maybe 6oz pre-cook weight, with a little regular ketchup, another strawberry, a baby carrot, and nuts again. I've got a salad waiting in the lunchbox right now, not sure if I'm going to going to be feel hungry enough to eat it. Maybe as a big snack tomorrow?

Either way, I know I've got to get more veggies in there.

TiffanyHadden is offline Junior Member
    There is no magic food to help with weight loss. All fruits are good for you and along with fresh veggies should be 1/3-1/2 of what you eat daily. Replacing processed foods with more natural foods is what is best for weight loss

Deadpedal is offline Junior Member
    I stopped all fruit completely for first few months - now fruit = cheat

Now I only eat a handful of berries once a week tops

I count the carbs and keep the berry net carbs 10 - 20

Deadpedal is offline Junior Member
    Get more mileage from few berries by topping with whipped cream cheese or plain carb free whipped cream with vanilla

Sweeten your carb free homemade whipped cream by blending in a few blueberries

----

Once I was fat adapted my taste perception changed -- different nuts, spices and olive oils opened a whole new world of flavor when eating salad greens -- salad greens daily, usually with cheese and red wine is my new 'dessert' - completely satisfies my sweets cravings.

Finn Felton is offline Junior Member
    Some fruits contain enough sugar in them that you can't count on them for weight loss. You must do workout also. Stop eating junk food. Try drinking green coffee. Chew your food properly. These little things can contribute a lot in reducing the weight.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't know your current size or goals, but my approach was to limit fruit to one piece per day, and probably not a banana as they are exceptionally high in carbs.

Even now for weight maintenance I would probably only eat 1-2 pieces per day maximum, just because I am usually so satisfied with my other foods and also because I don't want to bring back the sugar cravings.