Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: COY Fitness: a Trinity page 8

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yeah, crossfit is awesome, and you should definitely try it. Being flexible actually gives you a big advantage.

You guys are awesome! I can't even get into a handstand right now (not even against a wall). I used to be able to as a kid, but I guess I lost that ability?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    I second Ci looking into crossfit.

Well, it seems I am the foil of the group: a mere prop to illuminate your already triumphant efforts.

I did nothing yesterday. First time I haven't even tried to do anything. I was only home for an hour the entire day. I might try to do some bodyweight exercises later today, but wonder how that would pan out on 1.5 hrs of sleep.

In other news my mom has a Pilates cadillac so I anticipate using it a bit when i'm there!
    LOL. Dude, this is why we started the thread - to motivate each other. We're all going to fall off the wagon at some point. Well no, actually - me and you will fall off the wagon repeatedly! Ci's good influence will get us back on In the interim - YOU CAN DO IT OMBAT!!!!

Maybe having a more regimented plan would work for you? Like, I have to do those bodyweight exercises 4 times a week, and sprint twice a week. Makes it easier to force myself when I have this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    You guys are awesome! I can't even get into a handstand right now (not even against a wall). I used to be able to as a kid, but I guess I lost that ability?
    Ha, don't speak so soon - my legs are bent against the wall for support! My upper body strength is shit.

Serenity, feel free to post your workouts as well if you like! The more the merrier
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Fitness 5

Sprinting, Yoga, Cycling

Sprinting:
    Oh yeah baby - first time sprinting in about 3 months! Felt pretty good, and I'm sooo happy I made myself do it.
    6 x 100 metre sprints with a nice cool off in between, plus a little jog to the park ("little" as in: 2 mins!)

Yoga
    90 mins Partner Yoga

Did this pose today. So sensual.

Cycling
    30 mins

Observations
    Noticing a difference in my butt already! And my biceps are more muscular again... that always happens to me when I work out - people start to comment on my "guns"! But the rest of my arms are still loose. Are the biceps usually the first thing to tighten up?

And - I am SORE! I'm taking glucosamine sulphate and gelatine. Is there anything I can do?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-20-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Ha, don't speak so soon - my legs are bent against the wall for support! My upper body strength is shit.

Serenity, feel free to post your workouts as well if you like! The more the merrier
    I have trouble getting up into a handstand against the wall. I think it's psychological. I'm just scared, and that's why I can't do it. My crossfit coach said that it's because I moved my hands when I try to get into a handstand. I didn't feel them move, but when I looked at where they were, they did move. What I feel is that I swing my legs up too quickly, and they bounce against the wall and bounce off. I don't know. If anyone has any recommendations on how I can learn to get into a handstand, please do advise.

Can I just post my injuries? I opened up the barely healed scrape on my knee today. (All I did was go down on one knee accidentally on the gravel, but I guess because it's barely healed, it was really easy to tear it up again.) People talk about bleeding at crossfit. I'm proud to say that I was doing that today. Er!

Are the biceps usually the first thing to tighten up?

And - I am SORE! I'm taking glucosamine sulphate and gelatine. Is there anything I can do?
    My biceps are the first to tighten up too. Not sure if it's universal.

I find that taking branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) after a workout helps with the soreness, but they taste gross, only dissolve in oil (I make a paste with coconut oil, unsweetened chocolate, and maple syrup; you can also mix with yogurt), and are kinda expensive. I mean, if I only took BCAAs, it would be fine, but all the supps kinda add up. Another thing is to take cold showers or baths. I take warm showers then rinse for a while with cold water at the end, but I'm not sure if it actually does anything.

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    I have trouble getting up into a handstand against the wall. I think it's psychological. I'm just scared, and that's why I can't do it. My crossfit coach said that it's because I moved my hands when I try to get into a handstand. I didn't feel them move, but when I looked at where they were, they did move. What I feel is that I swing my legs up too quickly, and they bounce against the wall and bounce off. I don't know. If anyone has any recommendations on how I can learn to get into a handstand, please do advise.
    Would you feel comfortable trying this?

You walk your feet up the wall, it's actually quite easy.

More tips on how to get into a full handstand here: http://www.athleta.net/2013/02/15/on...der-handstand/

I find that taking branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) after a workout helps with the soreness, but they taste gross, only dissolve in oil (I make a paste with coconut oil, unsweetened chocolate, and maple syrup; you can also mix with yogurt), and are kinda expensive. I mean, if I only took BCAAs, it would be fine, but all the supps kinda add up. Another thing is to take cold showers or baths. I take warm showers then rinse for a while with cold water at the end, but I'm not sure if it actually does anything.
    Thanks for the tips! Those things are impossible to get in this part of the world though...
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-20-2013 at 05:40 PM.

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member
    LOL. Dude, this is why we started the thread - to motivate each other. We're all going to fall off the wagon at some point. Well no, actually - me and you will fall off the wagon repeatedly! Ci's good influence will get us back on In the interim - YOU CAN DO IT OMBAT!!!!

Maybe having a more regimented plan would work for you? Like, I have to do those bodyweight exercises 4 times a week, and sprint twice a week. Makes it easier to force myself when I have this thread...
    THANKS YB! Haha I don't feel like I'm falling off the wagon - it's all relative. I'm still exercising more than I ever have before, I've just been so busy this past week. I agree that setting weekly goals for myself would beneficial. I'm too careless otherwise.

I'm SO EXCITED that you're noticing changes in your body *throws confetti* Seriously that is awesome.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Monday, May 20th

After my 45 minute nap, I was up to about 2.5 hours of sleep for the day (you might have to check my math, I'm having trouble remembering what year it is). Anyway, that's enough to fuel some exercise, no?

- Pushups (15 x 1, 10 x 2) feel really strong today. Weird.
    - Leg lifts (20 x 3) very difficult to do with a menagerie of animals swarming your body on the floor. Kitties are not good fitness buddies.
    - Sprints (5 short-ish ones. Sweating buckets, though, due to the SoCal heat)
    - Some "gymnastics"/yoga in the backyard. Front and back walkovers, headstands, etc.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    has anyone ever had an orgasm while doing sensual yoga?
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Yes, do tell.

Serenity, a few tips for handstands.

1. Make sure your hands are slightly wider then shoulder width apart. Make sure your arms stay locked out the entire time.
    2. Look at your hands through the whole movement, looking forward(back through your arms) will mess with your balance.
    3. Plant your hands on floor about a foot from the wall or from standing just shoot your hands to the floor and get ready for kick up in one motion (preferred method).
    4. When hands are planted, use one leg for momentum and the other to kick off the ground. Practice just this part over and over to get the feeling of putting your weight onto your hands. Eventually you will kick high enough to where you feet touch the wall without a ton of force. Its momentum, not a hard kick that should get you up.
    5. Once your up, keep your feet together and tighten your abs, tuck your pelvis in and extend your shoulders. Hold this position as long as you can. Slightly kicking away from the wall when your ready and trying to find your balance. If you start leaning back towards the wall, press your tips of your fingers into the ground as hard as you can. If you start leaning away, press your palms as hard as you can and you can also untuck your pelvis for a quick second to realign yourself.

Once you can do this with ease, its time to learn it away from the wall. Ideally you would learn that fairly quickly and then stop using the wall as a crutch. You will need a soft place to land to learn it without a wall because you will fall a bit but the setup is exactly the same. Just keep practicing the kick up until you find that sweet spot where you dont kick to far over but just enough to balance. To learn how to come out of a handstand without crashing or rolling, as soon as you are up, take a quick step forward with your dominant arm and swing your body to that side, lift your other arm off the ground and land on both feet with your dominant arm still planted. i believe its called a round off in gymnastics.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Well, some women can come just by thinking about it, so I guess it depends how much you fancy the person you're lying on top of!

Saying that, I fancied the guy I was with and no orgasms were had. It is an undeniably sensual experience though.

Quote Originally Posted by CiKi90 View Post
    I checked out some crossfit in my area, and oh my gosh.... expen$ive!!!! The cheapest one was $95/month! I like going to my current gym, and have been a member for long enough, it really just doesn't seem worth it.
    Do they offer an intro class or something, or a pay-per-attend?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-21-2013 at 01:17 AM.

- Ray Peat

Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast