Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: COY Fitness: a Trinity page 3

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by CiKi90 View Post
    YB, do you feel better doing things at your own pace, or do you benefit more from having a structure and watching a video? I always have to have instruction to keep me from being distracted, so I use various websites and videos to keep me on track at home. I know I've said it a few times already, but FitnessBlender on YouTube really kicks my ass. Not sure if I just like the way that it's set up, or if it'll work for you and ombat too, but it's worth checking out. They've got plenty of different vids!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Cool stuff goin on in here.

YB, Convict Conditioning is a book by a convict named "Coach Wade". It basically shows you how to get superhuman strength using only your body weight and a linear type progression. Its a great book for the demonstrations alone. I also have CC2 if anyone wants it.

Im not fan of linear progression at all for a few reasons. One, if i have a certain amount set exercises, reps ands sets to do i get easily bored and start to loathe the workout. Also your body does not adapt linearly. Some days you may not hit your reps and that can leave you feeling like your not making progress.

I much rather follow a loose structure and have in mind what id like to accomplish that day and then go entirely by body feel. That way you will always be using the correct weight and doing the right amount i work on that day.
    I'm on Zach's wave length with this. I don't mind going to classes where they tell you what to do and you keep with their rhythm, but when practising at home I much prefer to do what I feel. I did Zach's workout today, but I interspersed it with yoga poses cos' my body wanted to move in those ways. In a nutshell: I like having a structure as a guide that I can deviate from!

Zach, is there any point in me looking at CC2 or should I check out CC1 first? Or do I even need it - would internet vids suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    I play in parks! Except that I go at night when no kids are around and play on the swings. Too ashamed to do in during the day when there are kids there.
    Ha - I go in the morning when they're all at school Although there's one tiny playground beside my house with a tightrope, swing, trampoline etc. I've gone there so much that the kids know me and we've all made friends (they coached me on how to walk the tightrope). They don't even mind when i hog the swings...
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-15-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Sorry, got cut off before i could finish that thought on linear progression. Some people like om said, need a set routine to stay on track. Thats totally cool, just dont get discouraged if some days you feel weaker then others. Strength progress takes weeks to adapt, not days. How strong you are at any given time will depend greatly on sleep, food, energy, etc.

Zach is offline Banned
    YB, no real need to read either unless calisthenics really interest you. CC2 is certainly interesting as it expands on the first book. You can google "convict conditioning cheat sheet" and "progressions" for a cliff notes version of the first book since its really long.

When i get home tonight i will post some good videos for progressions. Gymnasticbodys.com and beastskills.com are both good resources. Those might be the wrong addresses but just google.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, got cut off before i could finish that thought on linear progression. Some people like om said, need a set routine to stay on track. Thats totally cool, just dont get discouraged if some days you feel weaker then others. Strength progress takes weeks to adapt, not days. How strong you are at any given time will depend greatly on sleep, food, energy, etc.
    Absolutely, I know that some days I can do 20 pushups in a row without blinking and others I can barely push open a door.

Thanks for the links!

Quote Originally Posted by CiKi
    I'm getting the feeling that ombat and I are on the same wavelengths in the sense that we like to have a lot of structure for our workouts, to make sure that we are doing enough/getting better. I love it when I do a routine over and over, and notice the way that things get easier for me when I can take less breaks, do something without shaking, do more reps, etc.
    Yeah, I just don't trust my own judgment right now.

Great news about feeling stronger!

Zach is offline Banned
    Ciki, post a body pic if you wouldnt mind. I have my doubts that you are 13%. Not that bodyfat % really matters. Still, thats extremely low!

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Tuesday, May 14

Tried to come back from my day off.
    - Jump rope (100 x 6)
    - Jumping squats, leg lifts.
    - Fell asleep on the floor. Woke up extremely nauseous. Decided to cool it.

Wednesday, May 15
    Still taking it easy. I awoke this morning with a serious wrench in my neck and I don't want to aggravate it.
    Morning:
    - CC progression: pushups (10 x 3), flat leg raises (20 x 2)
    - Jumping squats; pulled myself into a couple of headstands (only 2 because of my neck)
    Afternoon:
    - Jogged about a mile to the park (up and down hill)
    - sprints (only 2. Asthma)
    - Wanted to use the jungle gym but it was raining and I didn't want to slip and die.

Wednesday, May 15: CiKi

I'm getting the feeling that ombat and I are on the same wavelengths in the sense that we like to have a lot of structure for our workouts, to make sure that we are doing enough/getting better. I love it when I do a routine over and over, and notice the way that things get easier for me when I can take less breaks, do something without shaking, do more reps, etc.
    Personally I need both. I've been free forming since last August, and I haven't made many gains in strength (though I have in flexibility). I realise I need structure to make gains, but I also need freedom to improvise. The routines Zach put together are perfect for me: they have a structure that I can implement according to how my body feels.

Im gathering the courage to do something like this. It's nerve-racking for me! You're right, though, that does seem too low. However, it used to read 5-6%, so it's at least better than it was.... I think I just need a little bit more time to feel okay with posting something, even if my face doesn't show. Also, I haven't brought up the idea of posting these photos to my SO, and I don't think he'll approve. :/
    Does he have to know?

I suspect that the electronic scales you're using is taking your weight as a bloke. Here's what 12% bf looks like on a woman...

Based on this, I'm probably under 25%. But sometimes I feel like the 45%chick

YB, no real need to read either unless calisthenics really interest you. CC2 is certainly interesting as it expands on the first book. You can google "convict conditioning cheat sheet" and "progressions" for a cliff notes version of the first book since its really long.

When i get home tonight i will post some good videos for progressions. Gymnasticbodys.com and beastskills.com are both good resources. Those might be the wrong addresses but just google.
    Thanks buddy! I'm going to c+p all the links into the initial post with your workout outline, so it will become an exhaustive resource.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-15-2013 at 11:39 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Fitness 2

Already did my workout today - you guys are going to be jealous of it!

Walk, play, ABWE.

Walk: 20 mins
    I always walk in this beautiful park, that has an *amazing* playground. After all our talk yesterday, today I said fuck it to walking, and went for a proper play.

Started with some balance beam. It helps mobility, co-ordination, also works the legs and gluteus in a dynamic way. These ones wobble as you walk, which doubles your efforts.

This one wobbles too! Nearly snotted myself when I fell off. Got half way after a few tries.

Climbing time. THis was SO much fun! I'm a bit afraid of heights (it's my one phobia, apart from wrinkles, and getting fat ), but there's no way of hurting yourself really, so I went right to the top. Brought me back to my tree climbing days... Felt amazing when I got down.

Next did some jumping. Think this was actually my favourite part! Spent about 10 minutes just jumping up and down off rocks.

A bit more climbing, with some hanging upside down, and then I got bored.

Was probably playing for half an hour in total. Don't know if I'll make it a regular thing (it might wear thin quickly) but for today, it was amazing, and filled me with energy and... joy. Seriously.

Adults were staring at me, but I sensed they were looking cos they wanted to do it as well. I bet lots of people want to play, but don't let themselves go. But just in case, I pretended to be taking it really seriously so they might think I was an athlete training for something, instead of just an eccentric, lol.

ABWE: Legs/pistol/bridge

Practice:
    Pistol; sitting onto low coffee table (too weak to do full ones), 10 reps each side.
    Man, these are bloody tough!! I felt muscles in my ass that I've never felt before...
    Also remembered why I've been afraid to do things like this til now: it's so easy to injure yourself. The first few reps I had my knee is the wrong place and would have strained it if I wasn't so aware of my body.

Strength:
    Split squats; 10 reps each leg; 3 sets
    Found these quite easy actually. I'll do more reps next time.

Accessory:
    Bridge; 3 times; held for 32 secs, 27 secs, 23 secs

Feel really positive about these ABWE! The chin ups and handstands are going to be really hard but my housemate said he'd help me with them at the weekend. Thanks again Zach!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-16-2013 at 07:20 AM.

- Ray Peat

Oh, and here's the slide I went down yesterday... and again today

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    PrimalCon New York
    Great first day! I cant believe that park! We have nothing even close to that around here.

What does AWBE stand for? Also you put chest day instead of legs. Yea definitely go slow with the practice exercises. I dislocated my sternum from too much handstand practice.

Weird that gymnasticsbodies.com website changed and they dont have tutorials anymore.

Heres a good tutorial on Pistols. One Legged Squat (The Pistol) Bodyweight Strength Training Beast Skills I really like the deck pistols for learning the technique, allows you to go through full range of motion.

Heres a good planche progression. I believe he has good info on levers and handstands as well. Planche Progression Guide - YouTube

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast