Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: COY Fitness: a Trinity page 22

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Good for you Di! Seriously, two days off is great for you. Plus you did a lot on Friday (I would consider it very intense).

Ci, yeah I've also been meaning to do a table to see how often I'm working out / what kinds of workouts. I think it's prob 5 days a week atm.

Today:
    6 x 100 metre sprints
    Some jogging.
    1 hour walk

Definitely getting stronger!!! Usually I;m wrecked after sprinting, but last week my sprints were longer than usual and this week I breezed through them and even jogged for some of my cool downs! Jogged home, and then I got a stitch
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-15-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

diene is offline Senior Member
    7/16/13

Ring holds: 30-second hold then 20-second hold (getting better at this)
    5 RM push press: 1x5 @ 15 lbs; 1x5 @ 35 lbs; 1x5 @ 55; 1x5 @ 65; 1x5 @ 75; 1x5 @ 80; 1x5 @ 85; 2x3 @ 90

WOD: "Devil's Heat" (I guess it's cuz it's 666--I JUST noticed that! Yeah, I'm slow sometimes. )
    6 box dips
    6 banded pullups
    6 squat cleans @ 55 lbs
    6 rounds for time--did it in 11:56. There was a 12-minute time cap so just barely made it.

2:30 hollow hold -- this was hard, had to scale a whole bunch. Hollow holds are weird. Some days, I can hold it forever; other days, not so much.

Frisbee is great exercise!

Di, I can never comment on your cross fit stuff, cos I have literally no idea what any of it means...

Tues, 16th July

30 min walk (to look for my keys. Found them!)
    75 min teaching yoga class (prob 30 mins of poses)
    1 hour power pump class: this was like a step class with weights, and then some floor work. Tbh I lifted much lighter weights than I did on Saturday cos' I really struggled with the co-ordination of the stepping and the lifting..! Also, the instructress was a bitch. She was literally on my back from the start of the session - I started to get upset (cry baby that I am ) but eventually I realised she could get bent. Then weirdly, she left me alone and started being nice.

Really hoping now that I've started lifting I might start to see tangible results soon.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Well, I didn't know what any of it meant until I started crossfit either, and I'm still learning too.

7/17/13
    Crossfit Endurance - long intervals
    1x10-min interval, 6-min rest; 1x8-min interval, 3-min rest; 1x3-min interval, 3-min rest; 2x1-min interval, 1-min rest.

Had to pee the whole time!! Hate it when that happens.

Ci, nah the instructor thought I was trying to sneak into the class initially cos I didn't have a ticket, and she was just aggressive and defensive. Get over yourself woman.

Was exhausted today due to lack of sleep. Thought i wouldn't manage to do anything, but I:

cycled for 20 mins, and
    went for an hour walk, with some climbing on the jungle gym and walking the tightrope

- Ray Peat

Driedmango is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=CiKi90;1254379
    Speaking of "progress" ... I stepped on the scale today, and it said 114! That's +2lbs from the last time I checked. I'm not upset about it, but I'm just hoping that it's because I'm gaining muscle, and not getting fat or something. Although, my boobs have been feeling heavier from the Fenugreek extract supplementation, but could that really add 2lbs?! Maybe I should use the food scale to weigh my boobs. That's not weird, at all ...[/QUOTE]

Ci, you dont eat nearly enough to gain any fat! It would be muscle, if not just random fluctuations (PMS?).
    The image I got in my head of you weighing your boobs on your food scale killed me. I can't stop laughing even as I type this.
    Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching.

2 lbs could easily be fluctuations or muscle! Or if you had a hard workout the day before the weighing, it could be water retention from the workout.

7/18/13
    Hollow hold: 2x30 seconds
    Kipping pull-up progression: Try (and fail) to do kipping pullups
    Max effort strict press: 1x5 @ 15 lbs; 1x5 @ 35 lbs; 1x3 @ 55 lbs; 1x1 @ 60 lbs; 1x1 @ 65 lbs; 1x1 @70 lbs (1RM)
    Barbell pendlay row: 3x20 @ 65 lbs
    Barbell shrugs: 3x20 @ 65 lbs

Short workout today. We were supposed to do the prowler but really didn't have time.

Edited to add: Also went to a 45-minute pilates class after work.
    Last edited by diene; 07-19-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Yeah, for the last few years I don't really weigh myself: the measuring tape is much more accurate.

That was an early workout Di! Do you go to Crossfit before work?

Thursday, 18th July

Very short interval run: 3 x jogs, 3 x sprints (50 metres, 100 metres, 200 metres). Walk.
    10 Jumping Chin ups
    10 hanging chin ups

5 mins swinging on swing (soooo therapeutic and relaxing! And good for the backs of the legs )

Swimming: 12 x 330 metres. 4 warm up, 6 sprinted, 2 cool down.
    Had a really cool experience swimming today: I totally got into the zone! Normally it's a bit of a struggle to swim 12 lengths in a row, but today I ploughed through them, and totally lost myself in the movement and the breathing. I've actually never swum so fast!

Which brings me to a question I have:

It's not what you do, it's how you do it?

How important do you guys think a positive attitude when you're working out is? As I"m getting fitter, I'm feeling how I respond differently to exercise now. Instead of dragging myself through a workout, I'm seizing it. I feel my body working in tandem to achieve something. I can only imagine that this has a more beneficial impact on the body than forcing yourself through it?

What do you guys think? Could this possibly be why some people get no benefits from exercise, and other people will be affected by very little?

- Ray Peat

Driedmango is offline Senior Member
    Having a positive attitude towards exercise is really important to me. Personally, now that I'm enjoying exercise, I find that I'm just more willing to try new things, and to push myself further.

When I was in the middle of my ED, I'd have 'okay two hours of jogging at blah mph, burn so and so calories, and that's it' playing through my mind. So I'd do that, and it was impossible that I would change up the exercise. But now, I might do my lifting workout, then really feel like I want to go for a jog or do some sprints. Or I'll even feel pumped enough to work out twice a day. And i actually like feeling like I'm going one step further with each workout, instead of just trying to burn a set number of calories, and hating every moment at the gym.

I also never felt like my body/strength/state of mind was ever improving when I was forcing myself. Now i know my body's getting better, i know i'm getting stronger and i feel so much more relaxed about exercise.

I think that's really the key to it, because if you're just going through the motions to lose weight/burn calories etc, you aren't pushing yourself, you're just trying to get it over with and you're bound to give up at some point.
    Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

That was an early workout Di! Do you go to Crossfit before work?
    Yup, I go before work.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it?

How important do you guys think a positive attitude when you're working out is? As I"m getting fitter, I'm feeling how I respond differently to exercise now. Instead of dragging myself through a workout, I'm seizing it. I feel my body working in tandem to achieve something. I can only imagine that this has a more beneficial impact on the body than forcing yourself through it?

What do you guys think? Could this possibly be why some people get no benefits from exercise, and other people will be affected by very little?
    I think your attitude is definitely important when doing very heavy lifts. I know when I approach the bar with the belief that I'm not going to make it, I often end up not making it. My crossfit coach this morning was just telling us to visualize completing the lift before we do it because when it gets really heavy so much of it is in your head, in the sense that you have to have good form and really drive the motion all the way through. A moment of hesitation or a split second of relaxation of a muscle that needs to be tensed, and you lose it. (He also likes to get on my case for having a bad attitude, but that's kinda just my persona. I like to complain a lot, but I actually really like it inside despite complaining the whole time. )

But as far as benefits from exercise goes--I don't know if it depends on attitude. I worked out for years just to lose weight, and it really took a few years before I started to really like working out. But back when i did it just to lose weight was when I lost the most weight from doing it. Now, when I need to take a break, I'm more worried about my endurance getting worse than I am about not losing or gaining weight. My attitude is 100% better, but my results are worse (if by results we mean weight loss).

Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast