Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: COY Fitness: a Trinity page 21

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I second pilates, Di. My mama has been doing it for a while and it's not just for core strength; damn that woman has guns! She could punch a dude out.

Second day of jump rope. I kept my head up and my shoulders relaxed. My neck held out for a bit longer than yesterday but still ended up hurting. I'm going to start doing neck exercises again - they were "prescribed" to me by a physical therapist years ago but obviously I didn't keep it up. I bet they would help. They hurt like hell though D:
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

diene is offline Senior Member
    Okay, you've convinced me to go to the pilates class this afternoon.

7/10/13
    60-minute elliptical

7/11/13
    Max effort close grip bench press: 1x5@45 lbs; 1x5@65; 1x2@75; 1x3@70; 1x1@75; 1x1@80 Then kept failing. I tried 85 lbs, failed. Tried 85 again, failed. Tried 82 lbs, failed again. Tried 82 again, failed yet again. *Sigh* It definitely looks like my bench press 1 rep max has gone down (although I think the close grip is harder than the normal grip and I did screw up earlier and work to failure with the 75-lb weight--I was trying to do 3 reps with 75 lbs and failed twice ).
    Pushups: 3 reps regular, 7 reps on box; 3 reps regular, 7 reps on box; 1 rep regular, 9 reps on box. (This is how pathetic I am. I can only do 3 regular pushups, wtf?!)
    Ring rows: 3x6 with pause at the top, feet on floor.
    Prowler with partner @ 180 lbs: 2 minutes for distance

9-minute jog (had to jog to the gym to get to the pilates class on time)
    45-minute pilates
    Last edited by diene; 07-12-2013 at 06:15 AM.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Om, glad your neck felt better!

Di, honestly... if your reps are going down, that lends more credence to the theory that you need a break. Maybe you feel okay, but if you're gaining weight, losing strength, and still working out / eating the same way then it's a sign that you're coming down with something, or you simply need to rest.

Would you consider taking 14 days off exercise and see how you felt after that? As your PT I will still allow you to do pilates

11th July, 2013

12 x 33 metre lengths of pool (4 front crawl, 8 breast stroke).
    40 min cycle (fast).

I hated swimming today. I found it really hard and boring compared to running. EVen though I noticed that I was a lot fasted in the water. I'm also noticing that I'm pedalling much faster on my bike. I think the running is improving my fitness!

Also, question folks:

Looking worse before you look better

So, I looked in the mirror today while in the swimming pool. Big mistake. I feel like my body looks worse than before I seem to build / lose muscle quite easily, but not lose fat, so I'm noticing a lot more muscle on my body, but my fat level is probably the same, but now the fat is... more bulky?! lol. Whereas before I was just doughy all over.

Has anyone else noticed that they looked worse before they looked better (or is it in my head)?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Di, honestly... if your reps are going down, that lends more credence to the theory that you need a break. Maybe you feel okay, but if you're gaining weight, losing strength, and still working out / eating the same way then it's a sign that you're coming down with something, or you simply need to rest.

Would you consider taking 14 days off exercise and see how you felt after that? As your PT I will still allow you to do pilates
    What, 14 days?! #^@$%!@#&! Haha! You must be kidding (nudges YB with elbow). Sorry, ain't gonna happen. My mental illness won't allow it. Barring debilitating injury or serious illness, there's no way I'm going to take 14 days off. I could consider taking 2 days off though, maybe.

But, yeah, it's possible that something is wrong with me, and that's why my bench press has gotten worse. It's too early to jump to conclusions and apply such a drastic measure as taking a 14-day break though.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Also, question folks:

Looking worse before you look better

So, I looked in the mirror today while in the swimming pool. Big mistake. I feel like my body looks worse than before I seem to build / lose muscle quite easily, but not lose fat, so I'm noticing a lot more muscle on my body, but my fat level is probably the same, but now the fat is... more bulky?! lol. Whereas before I was just doughy all over.

Has anyone else noticed that they looked worse before they looked better (or is it in my head)?
    What you're describing can happen, but I don't know if it's actually happening to you without seeing pictures. But, yeah, if you gain muscle without losing fat, you could look bulkier because you have all this extra muscle underneath the fat. My arms, for example--I've always had too much fat on my upper arm. I've not lost any of the fat, but I've built a lot of muscle underneath. And now my arms look worse/bigger because you can't see the muscle when my arms are relaxed (though you can feel it ) because they're covered in a layer of fat. But, what are you gonna do--c'est la vie!

7/12/13
    Warm up: 10 squats, 10 good mornings, 5 walk throughs, 5 dive-bomb pushups? (3 rounds)
    Lift:
    1 clean deadlift
    3 hang power cleans
    1 power clean
    3 push presses
    1 round @ 35 lbs, 1 round @45 lbs, 1 round @ 55 lbs, 2 rounds @ 65 pounds

WOD: Grace
    30 clean & jerks @ 45 lbs for time
    Did it in 3:05.
    The 45-lb weight was really too light, and I felt kinda bad about it. Should have used at least 55 lbs. Oh well! Next time. At least I can compare this workout to the first time I did Grace at the end of April. I used 45 lbs that time too but remember it being a lot harder. And it took me 6:22 to finish. I did it in less than half the time this time. So that's something, I guess. Still, should have done 55 lbs.

Dumbbell Side bends: 3x15 per side @ 40 lbs
    Reverse hyper: 2x15 @ 70 lbs

How about seven days then?

Seriously though, I bet you'd be amazed by what would happen if you took seven days off. I've heard of people taking breaks and losing weight! And it's not like you'd be sitting on your ass - you could still go for walks and stuff.

Did you go to pilates?

Also, I think I figured out what's happening with my body. I looked in the mirror today and realised that the lower part of my hips has drastically shrunk! Everything else is the same except for the one part, so in comparison now my thighs look even more disproportionate...! Oh well, at least something is happening

I'm not sure if I'm going to exercise today. Feeling really exhausted. WEnt to the gym for a pilates class but I got eh time wrong! I might try to go for a run later, I just took an hour nap and feel a bit better.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Yeah, I know people take deload weeks and come back stronger. I don't feel ready for it though. (I'm telling you--mental illness.)

I did go to pilates yesterday! I got so sweaty! (That room in that gym is always really hot--I don't think the AC works very well there.)

Yay for shrinking hips! And I'm sure your thighs look fine. My thighs are one of the few areas on my body that I don't worry about.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Diene, don't feel bad. I can't imagine taking a break from exercise longer than three days and it will take some sort of emergency, not just because. IDK about mental illness but it's definitely at least mildly addictive.

Sorry but I disagree! Di is showing signs that her body is overly stressed (gaining weight, reps going down), and I think in this case a few days off would really help her.

I do understand how stressful the idea of not exercising must be though. My addiction with exercise is in its infancy, but already if I miss a day I feel like a lazy oaf and imagine that my "muscles" are atrophying with every passing minute...

Speaking of which, did nothing yesterday except a mild walk, and 10 minutes on a swing...

Sat, 13th July

Went to a 65 min weight lifting class!!! Jeeze louise - how do people cross fit?! it was fucking intense. Don't think I've ever been so red Really liked it though - and it's nice to finally know what dead lifts are
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-13-2013 at 04:12 AM.

- Ray Peat

Sun, 14th July

Taught a three hour yoga workshop... prob did 60 mins of poses?
    Bits of cycling here and there.

- Ray Peat

7/13/13
    45-minute pilates (it was a one-hour class, but I was late)
    1-hour yoga
    500-m row (really just wanted to see what my time was--it was 2:40, which is definitely too slow and explains why I can't get my heart rate up rowing)
    25 box jumps (onto the "safe" box at the globo gym)
    Tabata box jumps (not high intensity cuz high intensity would require me to jump up and down quickly, which would increase the risk of injury)

7/14/13
    Had planned on doing HIIT on the rowing machine (or trying to) but didn't end up going to the gym at all. The bf had relatives visiting so we went wine tasting and walked around Longwood Gardens. So did some walking. It was way too hot to be doing things outdoors, IMO. And the wine just made the heat even more intolerable.

SO....Saturday was an easy day and Sunday was a rest day. It's almost like a 2-day rest day. I'm taking your advice, YB! (Note: mental illness prevents me from resting any more than this.)

7/15/13
    Max effort pause front squat (the pause means a two second pause at the bottom--eeek): 1x5 @ 45 lbs; 1x5 @ 65; 1x3 @ 75; 1x3 @ 80; 1x1 @85; 1x1 @ 95; 1x1 @ 105; 1x1 @ 110; 1x1 @ 115 (1 RM).
    Single-arm overhead walking lunges: 3 x gym length (one way each side) @ 15 lbs
    Band kneeling lat pulldowns : 3x10
    Medicine ball Russian twist: 3x10 each side @ 14-lb ball
    Band hamstring curls: 50 each side
    Last edited by diene; 07-15-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast