Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: COY Fitness: a Trinity page 17

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    how do you modify your exercise to adapt to them?
    I am mainly limited by the cerebral palsy, which is brain damage. It is my left side that is afflicted. The farther from my brain the body part is, the less "use" I have. That means I don't have full use of my left hand and negative flexibility in my ankle.

I can not flex my toes, independently, but they will flex if I flex my right toes. I have other crossover movements. Meaning, for some things, when the right side does it, the left will too, to a lesser degree.

So when I exercise I will use things like broomsticks to help with balance when doing lunges, a book under my left foot to aid squatting with my lack of flexibility. My wrist is pretty fixed, yet collapses easily when I hold more than about 5 lbs-- so I'll use a wrist brace and/or strap leg weights on my arm, bypassing my wrist/hand.

I can walk fairly fast on the treadmill. However, I put my right "good" hand on the rail as it seems to ground me and help with my gait, which tends to be choppy because of my lack of ankle flexibility.

It's hard to think of all the ways I modify because it's just a normal thing for me.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Okay, here we go:

7/1/13
    Crossfit:
    3x30-second bridge holds (scaled--couldn't actually get up on my arms, not sure why)
    Some number of pancake rolls (can't remember)
    Max effort thruster: 1x5@15 lbs, 1x3@35 lbs, 1x3@65 lbs, 1x1@70 lbs, 1x1@75 lbs, 1x1@80 lbs, 1x1@85 lbs (I RM)
    Overhead single-arm dumbell lunge: 3x12 each side @ 20 lbs right side, 15 lbs left side
    Band rows: 3x18
    Reverse hyper: 3x8@40 lbs
    Hamstring curls with band: 25 reps per side

7/2/13
    Crossfit:
    3 x 1-min plank holds
    Ring dip progression (practice holding self up on rings)
    Double-under practice (haha--can't do DUs at all)
    1x10 hang clean high pulls (practice @ 15 lbs)
    3 RM hang power cleans: 1x3@15 lbs, 1x3@35 lbs, 1x3@55 lbs, 1x1@75 lbs, 1x3@65 lbs, 1x3@70 lbs, 1x3@75 lbs (3 RM), 1x1@80 lbs
    WOD: 6-minute AMRAP of 35 box dips, 105 singles (jump rope)
    I became overly enthusiastic during the first round of dips and burned myself out (ugh). Only managed 2 rounds plus 21 dips.
    2-minute hollow hold

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Today, I took an unintended day off, due to mango contamination

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Okay, here we go:

7/1/13
    Crossfit:
    3x30-second bridge holds (scaled--couldn't actually get up on my arms, not sure why)
    Some number of pancake rolls (can't remember)
    Max effort thruster: 1x5@15 lbs, 1x3@35 lbs, 1x3@65 lbs, 1x1@70 lbs, 1x1@75 lbs, 1x1@80 lbs, 1x1@85 lbs (I RM)
    Overhead single-arm dumbell lunge: 3x12 each side @ 20 lbs right side, 15 lbs left side
    Band rows: 3x18
    Reverse hyper: 3x8@40 lbs
    Hamstring curls with band: 25 reps per side

7/2/13
    Crossfit:
    3 x 1-min plank holds
    Ring dip progression (practice holding self up on rings)
    Double-under practice (haha--can't do DUs at all)
    1x10 hang clean high pulls (practice @ 15 lbs)
    3 RM hang power cleans: 1x3@15 lbs, 1x3@35 lbs, 1x3@55 lbs, 1x1@75 lbs, 1x3@65 lbs, 1x3@70 lbs, 1x3@75 lbs (3 RM), 1x1@80 lbs
    WOD: 6-minute AMRAP of 35 box dips, 105 singles (jump rope)
    I became overly enthusiastic during the first round of dips and burned myself out (ugh). Only managed 2 rounds plus 21 dips.
    2-minute hollow hold
    Welcome! Tbh, I have no idea what any of those exercises mean, but I feel lazy just looking at them

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I think I have a learned fear of life too, and I don't think I've gotten over it. I'm afraid that I'm becoming more and more afraid of everything due to bad experiences. Oh well!

I'm a borderline compulsive exerciser. That's the price, I think, of getting over an eating disorder even though people are now classifying compulsive exercise as an eating disorder, wtf!
    I hear you. If it's any consolation, I think many people have a fear of living their lives. It gives rise to inertia. Ray Peat writes about "Learned helplessness". You may find it interesting!

Exercise bulimia is so alien to me cos' I've never been into exerting myself physically. Kind of wish I was, but I can imagine, like anything, it's harmful when it becomes an obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I am mainly limited by the cerebral palsy, which is brain damage. It is my left side that is afflicted. The farther from my brain the body part is, the less "use" I have. That means I don't have full use of my left hand and negative flexibility in my ankle.

I can not flex my toes, independently, but they will flex if I flex my right toes. I have other crossover movements. Meaning, for some things, when the right side does it, the left will too, to a lesser degree.

So when I exercise I will use things like broomsticks to help with balance when doing lunges, a book under my left foot to aid squatting with my lack of flexibility. My wrist is pretty fixed, yet collapses easily when I hold more than about 5 lbs-- so I'll use a wrist brace and/or strap leg weights on my arm, bypassing my wrist/hand.

I can walk fairly fast on the treadmill. However, I put my right "good" hand on the rail as it seems to ground me and help with my gait, which tends to be choppy because of my lack of ankle flexibility.

It's hard to think of all the ways I modify because it's just a normal thing for me.
    Wow, where there's a will, there's a way, right? I really respect that you've overcome so many obstacles.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Yeah, crossfit is super expensive. They practically rob you, lol! But it gets me to do things that I would never do on my own and to push myself harder than I ever would on my own.

7/3/13
    Crossfit Endurance:
    Warm up: 4 rounds of 5 pushups, 10 situps, 15 squats
    Weird intervals: 1x8-min interval, 3-min rest; 1x3-min interval, 2-min rest; 2x1-min interval, 1 min-rest; 3x30-second interval, 15-second rest (She was merciful and only made us do this once.)
    Cool down: Bird dog 20 reps each side; these leg exercises that I forgot the name of

Just looked at today's workout for regular crossfit--box jumps! (Swallows hard.) Glad I wasn't there. Hah!

Today:

30 minute interval run.

Running this morning was seriously tough - got a stitch and got out of breath really quickly. Going to try going for a swim tomorrow.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Lol, what do you hate about treadmills?!

Thursday 4th July

6 x 100 metre sprints
    15 min jog-walk
    30 min cycle

Also forgot to mention that for the last week I've been doing 40 "Kettle Bell" (Spiderman bin) swings per day. Today I noticed that the bin felt lighter, so I guess I'm making progress!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-04-2013 at 02:42 PM.

- Ray Peat

You've got treadmill trauma! I actually might start using one again. I've been running outside, but I want to do incline running but there aren't enough hills where I live...

Friday, 5th July

1 hour pilates class - amazing!!! I LOVED the teacher: a bright, bubbly Italian chick. She had the weirdest body though: she was rake thin, with tons of muscle. Her thighs were literally bigger than her hips! She obviously works hard at lifting, in addition to the pilates. I actually had the thought to ask her to be my personal trainer..! I'll just try and make friends with her first.

Also:
    1 hour leisurely cycle
    60 "kettle bell" swings.

- Ray Peat

I'm sorry your hip joints are still at you. Has the gelatine helped with that at all?

Sat, 6th july

6 x 100 metre sprints
    30 min cycle

- Ray Peat

Ci--yeah, it sounds like you've had a traumatic experience with the treadmill. Whenever I'm doing sprints on the treadmill, it's the fear of falling off that keeps me going!

7/4/13
    Crossfit:
    50 band rows
    25 knee pushups
    50 band rows
    Some high knees and butt kicks over short distances

Maximum effort bench press. My 1 rep max got worse! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! I was so frustrated and annoyed that I snapped at the girl who was spotting me. It was not cool, and I don't know what was wrong with me. I apologized to her after. Basically, my 1 rep max went from 85 lbs to 80 for no reason.

The WOD was block run (not sure how long, I think it was a 4-block radius, approximately), 25 squats, 25 burpees, 4 rounds with a 15-minute time cap. Within the 15 minutes, I managed 2 rounds plus an extra run. I really hate burpees!

7/5/13
    Kipping pull-up practice during which I ripped my hand again.
    1 clean deadlift
    3 hang cleans
    1 power clean
    3 push presses
    6 rounds - 1st round was 35 lbs, 45 lbs for the remaining 5 rounds.

WOD was Karen: 150 wall balls, using the 10-lb ball (Rx is 14 pounds, but I'm only just getting used to the 10-lb ball). Took me forever--about 12 minutes.

7/6/13
    So far--nothing. Been sitting on my ass all day. Might do some pilates or yoga videos later, but might not do anything at all. Starting to get sore from the wall balls. My guess is that I won't be able to move tomorrow (they call it DOMS for a reason--it's delayed!) But I'm supposed to run tomorrow. It will suck at first, but the run will help me recover because it always does!

Ci, I've read a few people say that gelatine really helps them with their workout recovery. I'm already on 2-3 sachets a day: definitely worth considering upping it.

Di, maybe you were tired and that's why your max went down? I don't lift, so I don't know much, but from what I read, progress isn't linear?

- Ray Peat

Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast