Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: COY Fitness: a Trinity page 16

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    just cruising past and spotted this
    leg press machine, single leg: 90lbs 3x10, 80lbs 2x15
    i always single leg leg press and also laying hamstring curls. i also try to do things like chest press with dumbbells instead of a barbell. i always start with my weakest side first.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CiKi90 View Post

Also, not to sound like I'm bragging or anything... But a lot of men lift the same weights as I do. I don't necessarily think I'm strong, I just think that the guys don't believe they can lift heavy weights for whatever reason. I feel really bad when it's my turn on a machine and I increase the weights with the guy standing right there... Sometimes they give me weird looks. Ah, well. C'est la vie.
    I know what you mean. We only have one bar for deadlifts at my gym. I had to ask a guy if he was done with it, then I deadlifted the same weight as he did. Awkward! I can also tell that when I am lifting, after about 5-10 minutes the guys seem to start working harder. lol

I think sometimes, we can't tell how hard we can really go in the gym, with weights, running, whatever. So it takes seeing what somebody else can do to help push performance up a notch or two.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i always single leg leg press and also laying hamstring curls. i also try to do things like chest press with dumbbells instead of a barbell. i always start with my weakest side first.
    Yeah, I feel like I'm cheating sometimes when I use a barbell for certain exercises. I like doing one at a time so that one side doesn't carry the other.

Driedmango is offline Senior Member
    Tuesday, June 25

Didn't go to the gym today, and I did this workout instead:

60 Minute HIIT Cardio and Abs Workout - Fitness Blender Tabata HIIT, Abs and Obliques Workout - YouTube

I stopped it a few times, and I even skipped one of the exercises (The big jumping one, with three little backward jumps) just because I run pretty regularly and my joints were kind of hurting already. I think I did okay, overall. Even the chick in the video was like, "shit!" a couple times. Haha.

Today, after my workout, I took some "progress shots" in my undies just to see where I'm at, physically, compared to about a month ago. Some of them are blurry, and I'm not too sure if I've made very much progress... but I don't hate my body when I look at the photos, so at least I'm making mental progress, right? ^__^
    Ooh i did that one yesterday! I actually really liked that one. And i loved that jumping move, lol! I'm definitely going to be doing it again. And i'm really glad you aren't hating your body !
    I saw your post in my journal btw, and i'll reply asap!
    Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Heeey! So I'm back (again :P) with some new goals.

I think I need a more regimented fitness programme. I've had this revelation recently that my life is too unstructured: I designed it like this intentionally cos' I needed the freedom, but now I think the lack of routine is actually holding me back. I think of how young plants and trees often need a structure to lean on before they can grow...

Anyway, after that philosophical tangent: fitness regime!

I'm still figuring it out. Part of the the reason I fall off the exercise bandwagon is cos' my energy crashes, but I've realised that it's also cos in my own time I prefer doing stuff that occupies my mind: like reading, or being creative. So I need to do exercise that boosts my energy, and that I can see results with.

I've discovered that for energy boosts, nothing works better than interval running. Sprinting is too taxing for me, and so are long jogs. But alternating walking, jogging and sprinting puts me on a high! So I'm going to do that a few times a week. How often do you think I should do it?

I also realise that I really like burpees. They also give me a boost when I do them.

I don't know what to do about Yoga and ABWE. Progress is so slow that I'm thinking of starting to lift weights! I really like Kettle bell swings, but there's no kettle bell at my gym. Sooo, yesterday I did them using a cast iron pot! It wasn't quite heavy enough, but it definitely worked to some extent.

Anyway, yesterday I did:

Interval running: half an hour. I actually needed to do some chores (go to the bank etc) so I just ran to all the places, threw in a few sprints when there was grass around, and then walked when i was tired. Felt amazing after it!

Later, did two sets of kettle bell swings with the pot, lol.

then did some BWE: 15 burpees, 20 pistols, some strengthening yoga poses: plank, locust etc.

So, kind of all over the place. Need to figure out what I enjoy doing and work from there!

Do you have a set time of day that you work out?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I do best with a definite time-- first thing in the morning-- fitness routine. It helps with finding excuses.

I also set different goals and rewards for myself. For example, I set a goal to put 1000 miles on my treadmill between January 1 and June 30, 2013. As of today I have put 1010 miles on the treadmill and am rewarding myself with a "free" weekend of food and drink.

My next goals will center around my son's wedding in September. I want to do my best to look good in the pictures. No easy feat given my limitations-- I have cerebral palsy, bone on bone knee arthritis... and have to modify a LOT.

And to second CiKi90's recommendation of fitnessblender.com, I have been using some of their videos to target stretching, abs, arms...

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

I've discovered that for energy boosts, nothing works better than interval running. Sprinting is too taxing for me, and so are long jogs. But alternating walking, jogging and sprinting puts me on a high! So I'm going to do that a few times a week. How often do you think I should do it?
    Depending on how much sprinting you do--maybe every other day? But you can also do some other form of interval training instead of running....such as...Tabata burpees!! Since you say below that you like burpees.

I also realise that I really like burpees. They also give me a boost when I do them.
    You're the only person I know of who really likes burpees! I really hate them. i can never get used to them for some reason.

Do you have a set time of day that you work out?
    Yes! On weekdays--it's usually in the morning (crossfit). Weekends, it's not as set. Saturdays I usually also go in the morning for a pilates class and a yoga class and then run after that. Sundays may be morning or afternoon.

Hey, do you have any experience with getting over learned fear? So I've gotten injured on box jumps twice, and, unfortunately, they were consecutive times. And I've developed a kind of fear of box jumps, and the fear actually makes it even more likely to get injured. It also makes it really unpleasant even though I otherwise really like box jumps. Not really sure what to do...

I know that you said you dislike doing structured fitness videos, but since you said you like doing interval stuff, I want to suggest checking out fitnessblender again. They have so many videos with HIIT, tabata, cardio, kickboxing, and even target toning workouts. They're great if you don't wanna go to the gym and plenty of them require no equipment.

Also, don't worry about using an iron pot as a kettle bell! I once used my huge nail polish "caboodle" with my ankle weights thrown inside. Ha! Worked, though.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't stand doing videos at home! If I do a fixed workout I prefer to go to a class.

And HAH - I've kept up the "kettle bell" practice, and you should see how it's evolved: today I used a spiderman bin filled with a bottle of champagne, a bag of potatoes and two free weights

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I do best with a definite time-- first thing in the morning-- fitness routine. It helps with finding excuses.

I also set different goals and rewards for myself. For example, I set a goal to put 1000 miles on my treadmill between January 1 and June 30, 2013. As of today I have put 1010 miles on the treadmill and am rewarding myself with a "free" weekend of food and drink.

My next goals will center around my son's wedding in September. I want to do my best to look good in the pictures. No easy feat given my limitations-- I have cerebral palsy, bone on bone knee arthritis... and have to modify a LOT.
    You're right - I think I need to have a specific time of day that I work out. Mornings are best cos that's when I have most energy.

Congrads on your treadmill progress!! That's an amazing number of miles. I'm sorry to hear you have so many health difficulties... how do you modify your exercise to adapt to them?

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Depending on how much sprinting you do--maybe every other day? But you can also do some other form of interval training instead of running....such as...Tabata burpees!! Since you say below that you like burpees.

You're the only person I know of who really likes burpees! I really hate them. i can never get used to them for some reason.

Yes! On weekdays--it's usually in the morning (crossfit). Weekends, it's not as set. Saturdays I usually also go in the morning for a pilates class and a yoga class and then run after that. Sundays may be morning or afternoon.

Hey, do you have any experience with getting over learned fear? So I've gotten injured on box jumps twice, and, unfortunately, they were consecutive times. And I've developed a kind of fear of box jumps, and the fear actually makes it even more likely to get injured. It also makes it really unpleasant even though I otherwise really like box jumps. Not really sure what to do...
    tabata burpees??! Woah, slow down there tiger - "like" is subject to interpretation

That's a good suggestion to run every second day. Then I could swim / do strength training on the alternative days.

Jeeze louise - how much exercise do you do?? You should start posting here - I'm really curious! Plus you'll be keeping Ci company...
    I've gotten over my learned fear of life, if that helps?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Last few days update

I realised that if I sit for too long I get tired, so for the last few days I've been on my feet as much as possible!

Saturday: kettle bell swings, and a twenty minute interval run.
    Sunday: Short jog (10 mins), three hour yoga workshop (teaching... probably did poses for 90 mins).
    Monday: Short jog (10 mins), kettle bell swings, 5o minute body weight class at the gym, 40 minute cycle.

- Ray Peat

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

tabata burpees??! Woah, slow down there tiger - "like" is subject to interpretation

That's a good suggestion to run every second day. Then I could swim / do strength training on the alternative days.

Jeeze louise - how much exercise do you do?? You should start posting here - I'm really curious! Plus you'll be keeping Ci company...
    I've gotten over my learned fear of life, if that helps?
    Haha, tabata burpees suck! You can basically do tabata anything, you know. Tabata kettlebell swings--I've never actually done kettlebell swings. Apparently, you can increase your running speed by doing kettlebell swings so I'd love to do some. Anyway, back to tabatas, you can download a tabata app on your phone, and it will whistle at you to stop and start. And you can do tabata jump rope, tabata box jumps (the thing I'm most afraid of), tabata hollow holds, mountain climbers, the list goes on...

I think I have a learned fear of life too, and I don't think I've gotten over it. I'm afraid that I'm becoming more and more afraid of everything due to bad experiences. Oh well!

I'm a borderline compulsive exerciser. That's the price, I think, of getting over an eating disorder even though people are now classifying compulsive exercise as an eating disorder, wtf! I have gotten to the point where my theoretical schedule has me working out 7 days a week, which is ridiculous and I rarely actually do it. I usually only do 6 days a week, but then I feel guilty about taking one day off. I always have a mental argument with myself where I yell at myself for feeling guilty for taking one measly day off and tell myself that everyone in the world takes at least one rest day a week. Haha! Maybe I will start posting in here for a bit.

Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast