Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accidentally glutened at weekend, feel so ill. Anything I can do? page

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member

Accidentally glutened at weekend. UPDATE + extra Q on pg 2

Primal Fuel
    To speed up my recovery, I mean.

Am taking loratadine during day and can have Piriton at night but not during day as it makes me drowsy. Am eating very very clean, drinking green tea and resting as much as I can but previous glutenings have shown me that this can go on for a very long time and I am so so miserable!

I won't be making that particular mistake again.
    Last edited by freerangepiglings; 05-15-2013 at 02:52 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately no. You have to wait it out. Sorry. Just drink plenty of fluids and eat when you feel able again.

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Do you have gluten intolerance or some other sort of digestive problem? Sorry to hear you don't feel well.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I try to fast as long as I can after a meal that makes me feel like crap. Especially if it's something like gluten that you need to get out of your system. This fast can be as long or short as you need based on hunger levels, but your body needs to get rid of the crap to feel better and fasting is extremely useful for that.

Without competing food sources, your body can concentrate completely on elimination and detoxing the bad stuff.

oliviascotland is online now Senior Member
    I find that a small daily quantity of a bio yoghurt (2 - 3 tbpsns) can help a lot for me - it doesn't seem to speed up that horrible feeling, but it does "mellow" it a bit, which might make it more bearable?

Thank you both. Am on laptop now as opposed to phone so can type better (well, as well as the brain fog allows!).

I don't know. I have EDS type 3 aka Hypermobility syndrome, which predisposes people to gastric issues and damaged guts. I always thought I just had a wheat allergy but that I could tolerate spelt, barley and rye (I probably do have a wheat allergy but there is obviously more going on) because when eating grains my symptoms were not as bad avoiding wheat, even though I ate spelt etc.

When I went fully primal but had several accidental grain episodes, I realised that the biggest for my EDSflare ups was any form of grain - and that it was not just wheat that made me ill, but that spelt, barley and rye had the same effects. So although I possibly do have a wheat allergy (some symptoms are very instant), it seems I have some other issue to. I don't know whether it is gluten snesitivity or celiac. I don't know how I could ever find out because I can't countenance the thought of eating gluten at meals twice a day for six weeks which is necessary before being tested for celiac!

So whether it is an intolerance, and allergy or celiac I don't know. But that gluten is the devil incarnate and I don't ever want it to cross my lips again I do know!

Symptoms are:

Immediate: tight throat, mucus/postnasal drip.
    Short term: foul temper, brain fog, shakiness, photo-phobia, heartburn, indigestion, post-nasal drip, muscle inflammation, headaches and joint pain.
    Longer term (eg 6-48 hrs) - alternating constipation and diarrhoea, wind, painful bowel spasms. Sometimes itching and urticaria type rashes, eczema.

The heartburn and indigestion pass first (they are easing now - it was Saturday morning that I was glutened), but everything else continues for days if not weeks.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It is quite possible to have both a wheat allergy and gluten intolerance. Looking at your symptoms, I would guess that's what you've got, both.

Cross-posted - I should have said thank you all, not thank you both!

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Drink green tea to help flush the toxins out of the body, lots and lots of water and eat really clean.

oliviascotland is online now Senior Member
    Definitely sounds like an allergy as well as an intolerance to me. It might be worth seeing if you can get a skin pin-prick test done - my daughter had one done a couple of months ago and tested allergic to wheat and corn. Other grains are fine for her - although the rest of the family are either coeliac or non-coeliac gluten intolerant! So you might well get away without having to do a gluten tolerance test. If you were to mention the hives, post-nasal drip and the throat tightening to your GP, they should refer you to an allergy clinic fairly quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast