Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Company pub lunch page

amyeek is offline Member

Company pub lunch

Primal Fuel
    So, tomorrow my head of dept is taking the team for lunch as an out of office colleague is popping in. However, we work in a business park, and the only option is a chain pub. I'm not going to go for one of the meat or fish options, because they're not going to be exactly sustainable. Realistically, all there is on the list of foods I could eat are the sides - mixed leaf side salad, seasonal vegetables, and crispy potatoes, all at 1.99 each, so they're going to likely be quite small portions. I also know there'll likely be a great deal of vegetable oil involved too.

Does this sound like a feasible lunch option - all three sides above? Or would you skip the potatoes? I know it's only a one off, but I've only been primal a couple of weeks and ideally wouldn't be off course so soon!

Thanks guys!

Techie is offline Member
    Just get flat out drunk, flirt with the boss's wife and you won't have to worry about any future company excursions.

Excuse me for my bad typos,
    Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Really, it's one meal and it's not going to hurt your progress in any huge way. Order fish or meat, what's wrong with that? What do you not sustainable? If you're worried about wild-caught fish being a species in danger of being over caught, print out a sustainability guide from the Monterey bay aquarium and choose a good option. I'm sure the restaurant will have more than one type of fish. As for meat, who cares if it's not organic, grass fed, and massaged daily? Screw the bad omega 3-6 ratios. It's ONE meal.

The stress will kill you before the food will.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

amyeek is offline Member
    Hah, thanks guys.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I sympathise - I had a huge number of weddings, christenings, birthday dinners etc in my first three months of primal - don't go into the event too hungry (e.g. proper breakfast etc) and make the best choice you can at the time.

Re the actual menu: If they have lamb, choose that as it will be grass fed (all UK lamb is). For keeping vegetable oil consumption down, anything fried ('crispy') will be cooked in vegetable oil (don't even bother asking what kind of fat), so veg or a salad is probably a better idea.

But yeah - Damiana is right: worrying is as physically bad for you as eating less-than-optimal food.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Really, it's one meal and it's not going to hurt your progress in any huge way. Order fish or meat, what's wrong with that? What do you not sustainable? If you're worried about wild-caught fish being a species in danger of being over caught, print out a sustainability guide from the Monterey bay aquarium and choose a good option. I'm sure the restaurant will have more than one type of fish. As for meat, who cares if it's not organic, grass fed, and massaged daily? Screw the bad omega 3-6 ratios. It's ONE meal.

The stress will kill you before the food will.
    This.

amyeek is offline Member
    Thanks both. I'm a pretty relaxed person, believe it or not, but have colleagues with eyes on stalks whenever I eat anything because my diet is heavily influenced by ethics (an ex-vegan right here) so being able to explain my choice is important to me. But hey ho, I eat junk like everyone else sometimes too! I can't see any lamb on the menu, but there may well be specials. Thanks!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    These situations are what the 20% rule is for. I'd get a basic meat and potatoes or meat and salad option if they have it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Get a salad, get it with steak or fish, have them put the dressing on the side, and ask them for olive oil and vinegar as a dressing instead, if you don't like naked salads.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Get a salad, get it with steak or fish, have them put the dressing on the side, and ask them for olive oil and vinegar as a dressing instead, if you don't like naked salads.
    This is my plan A. It works well in small restaurants but US chains almost never have olive oil on the premises. Boo chains.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast