Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Poor circulation, so it is true page 5

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Dietary cholesterol will have little effect on your cholesterol level, if at all. Don't worry about chol. There is something else at work here and the fact that it is your left arm is cause for concern, I agree. But unless someone is qualified in this forum to give a proper diagnosis, I really encourage you to go and check it with your GP at least.

By the way, don't be afraid of the carbs, it is a matter of which carbs and when. Prefer "safe" starches and eat them in the evening. 100g to 150g / day will do you good probably. I have been upping my carbs lately and I can tell you,, I am definitely not binging. Coming from VLC for 7 months, so I would not sweat it. And if you find yourself binging once, then you'll know whether adding these safe starches is good or not.
    Thanks for the reassurance. I think I'm gonna visit my doctor today but they'll blame the diet and my decisions. I'm definitely planning on adding more carbs eventually since 25g is not a realistic lifestyle commitment.

Every one on this forum has been really helpful. Thanks every one.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Eating more=/=binging. One is controlled rational behavior. The other is turning in to human vacuum cleaner until the pantry is empty.

We don't really know how much is or is not enough for this individual. The only clues we have are "young, male, and healthy".
    Uh, the sum total is exactly the same. You're not even making sense. Binging is eating more, doesn't matter if one is controlled and the other is some psychosomatic problem. Unless you mean eat more, but not too much more, just until that magical number where your circulation improves.

Young men don't need to be on low carb, period. When I was eating low carb, I had exactly this same problem as OP, except, I wasn't even able to break 1.5k calories on any day. No appetite whatsoever. When I wasn't eating low carb, I rarely, if ever, passed 2380 calories as well, and I'm 6'3. Felt perfectly fine, even walking and biking everywhere.

I use to binge a lot on fruit and not necessarily refined sugar or carbs, but like the high sugar fruits like grapes, bananas etc. which probably messed up my insulin levels because it was so excessive, they were just the 'healthier' or more 'nutritious' replacements for my old binge foods so I've decided to stay clean of fruits for the time being.
    Fructose doesn't stimulate insulin, and fructose alone decreases blood insulin and glucose levels. There is glucose present, but the effects aren't nearly as pronounced as starch(pure glucose alone).

It's all in your head, or possibly, because you needed the fruit in the first place. Believe me, binge enough, get it out of your head that it's going to kill you or whatever, stop feeling bad, and eventually you'll get bored and won't do it again. Everyone, even the most healthy minded people binge, they just don't view it the same way. I "binge" all the time.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post

I'm a male, 5'9, 23 and 130 lbs. I've already lost 10 lbs and I wanna maintain now, but adding back the carbs might trigger hunger pangs and cravings again so I'm planning on doing it gradually and as painlessly as possible. The issue I'm having now is really unpleasant and I know it's diet related.
    you are drastically underweight, and it sounds like you have an eating disorder. scrawny 23 year old men who use terms like "binge" and "cravings" and are scared of fruit need therapy
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    you are drastically underweight, and it sounds like you have an eating disorder. scrawny 23 year old men who use terms like "binge" and "cravings" and are scared of fruit need therapy
    I have to agree. My DH is 5'8" ~135 and quite skinny himself. Another inch and 5lbs less and I'd be piling his plate even higher to put weight on him.

Eat more!

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I missed that piece of info (your weight) - I am 5'9'' and 147 lbs, I can tell you that I am not big at all these days, I would say a healthy thin. There was once in my life when I weighed ~ 135 lbs, that was a very bad time and I was definitely under-nourished. If I went below 145, I would start to be very careful.

So to sing along with the last posters, eat man! just do it and thicken up!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hey dude,

It sounds like you are in the throes of an eating disorder You've got a lot of neurosis about food, and it seems to be effecting you a lot.

I know lots of people (myself included) who have overcome EDs, and there are a plethora of approaches. If you want any info just PM me, I'm happy to help!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    Thanks for the reassurance. I think I'm gonna visit my doctor today but they'll blame the diet and my decisions. I'm definitely planning on adding more carbs eventually since 25g is not a realistic lifestyle commitment.

Every one on this forum has been really helpful. Thanks every one.
    If your doctor tries to blame the numbness in your arm on your diet, there's two problems.

1. You told the doctor you've changed your diet, thus suggesting it is the cause of the problem.
    2. Your doctor is an incompetent ass for not checking this out.

Number 2 here would mean your doctor is utterly incompetent and should be fired, whether or not number 1 happened.

I suggest not bringing the diet up, and if you are asked, say you're eating mostly natural whole foods.

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    If your doctor tries to blame the numbness in your arm on your diet, there's two problems.

1. You told the doctor you've changed your diet, thus suggesting it is the cause of the problem.
    2. Your doctor is an incompetent ass for not checking this out.

Number 2 here would mean your doctor is utterly incompetent and should be fired, whether or not number 1 happened.

I suggest not bringing the diet up, and if you are asked, say you're eating mostly natural whole foods.
    I want to believe that, I really do but it's just too coincidental to just have these issues with a sudden and pretty radical diet change, especially one that is not recommended or encouraged by doctors or nutritionists etc. I just don't know if its related to the low level of carbohydrates or the high amounts of saturated and overall dietary fat that I have shocked my body with. It might be some kind of deficiency, but I am consuming adequate pottasium, sodium and magnesium through supplements. I can't see the doctor until Tuesday so I'm gonna go lean meat and increase carbs until then to see if it's diet related. I'm extremely disappointed and I feel so discouraged right now, especially since low carb felt like the answer I've been looking for for so long.

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post

Do not do this. The easiest way to be misdiagnosed and/or waste time, money and medical resources is to lie to your doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5
    I'm gonna go lean meat and increase carbs until then to see if it's diet related
    Yes, do this.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 05-15-2013 at 12:04 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Do not do this. The easiest way to be misdiagnosed and/or waste time, money and medical resources is to lie to your doctor.
    The OP has said that if he tells his doctor exactly what he is eating, he thinks the doctor will not follow up on any of his symptoms, and will simply blame him for no longer eating a CW diet.

Is that an adequate response, in your opinion? Should he be satisfied, go home, and hope for the best? Or should he then, having wasted a bunch of money, begin doctor-shopping for a physician who is willing to take his complaints seriously?

How many primal doctors are there really out there to choose from?

Many people say they are vague about exactly what they eat when they are asked by their physicians. Do you insist to every one of them that they should make sure their doctors know exactly what their diets consist of? And then take the statins which the doctors insist they take?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast