Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor circulation, so it is true page 2

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the others, if you're not feeling right, no need to be so low carb. Perhaps cycle 2 days LC, 1 day reefed if you want. But it sounds like your body isn't responding well to consistently LC. I'm exploring this myself right now because I get depressed VLC for too long. Just have to figure out what that "too long" window is.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I went very low carb a few years back and felt OK for a short while - also lost weight fast and got to about 144 lbs for a 6 foot male. Felt it was too little!

Anyway, I started feeling really tired, cold, shaky and began adding back some carbs in the form of white potatoes occasionally, or white rice, and some fruit. I now regularly eat more carbs, weight has stayed stable at around 144 lbs so not going to move from there I fear, and my energy / brain focus / body temperature are fine. It has now been about 3 years of eating some carbs with most meals - usually about 120 / 140 grams per day.

I don't believe VLC suits everyone.

Looking at a recent FitDay days entry, fat represented 52%, carbs 26% and protein 22%. I don't know if that is considered good, average or way out of kilter - but I feel good on it!!
    Last edited by breadsauce; 05-14-2013 at 07:15 AM. Reason: adding fitday info

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint is not a high fat diet and it's not a low carb diet. Mark even had a blog post about this common misunderstanding a couple months ago. The misunderstanding is that the common wisdom is that your diet should be 20% fat and when you eat real food your diet will be around 50% - 60% and for some people even 70 - 80%. That's calories, not volume. The other CW is that you need at least 60% carbs in your diet or you'll practically keel over from malnutrition. Not true. Carbs are optional but you can still eat them and you SHOULD eat them (Mark says) if you are young, insulin sensitive and/or physically very active.

Just eat the real food. Have as much sweet potatoes and fruit as you like. If you are very active doing stuff like weight lifting you might try a little rice as well. And more protein might make you feel better as well. Stop drinking so much water. Read Waterlogged for more information (there are a couple of really extensive reviews out there that will save you the trouble of buying the book).

The acne probably cleared up because you quit eating wheat so don't necessarily credit the low carb.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I went very low carb a few years back and felt OK for a short while - also lost weight fast and got to about 144 lbs for a 6 foot male. Felt it was too little!

Anyway, I started feeling really tired, cold, shaky and eventually began adding back some carbs in the form of white potatoes occasionally, or white rice, and some fruit. I now regularly eat more carbs, weight has stayed stable at around 144 lbs so not going to move from there I fear, and my energy / brain focus / body temperature are fine.

I don't believe VLC suits everyone.
    Did you reduce your fat intake when you added back the carbs?

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Primal Blueprint is not a high fat diet and it's not a low carb diet. Mark even had a blog post about this common misunderstanding a couple months ago. The misunderstanding is that the common wisdom is that your diet should be 20% fat and when you eat real food your diet will be around 50% - 60% and for some people even 70 - 80%. That's calories, not volume. The other CW is that you need at least 60% carbs in your diet or you'll practically keel over from malnutrition. Not true. Carbs are optional but you can still eat them and you SHOULD eat them (Mark says) if you are young, insulin sensitive and/or physically very active.

Just eat the real food. Have as much sweet potatoes and fruit as you like. If you are very active doing stuff like weight lifting you might try a little rice as well. And more protein might make you feel better as well. Stop drinking so much water. Read Waterlogged for more information (there are a couple of really extensive reviews out there that will save you the trouble of buying the book).

The acne probably cleared up because you quit eating wheat so don't necessarily credit the low carb.
    So what should my ratios look like if I'm eating 2000 calories a day? I'm aiming for 50g carbs, 120g protein and 100g fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    To get my appetite and binging under control after months of struggling. Lowcarb has helped me lose weight, clear up my acne, improved my concentration, I've tried everything and lowcarb feels right for me. I'm just scared of incorporating fruits and more carbs back into my diet and the weight will come back. I think I need to tweak my diet a little or give it time, but I'm not consuming any hidden sugars, starches or gluten and it seems like this isn't common and shouldn't be happening.
    was it low carb that did this, or just cleaning up the diet in general?

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    I had (still have) cold feet and sometimes hands. I wrote to Mark a few months ago and he did a "Dear Mark" post. I took some ginkgo biloba supplements and they helped a little but I'm still cold a lot of the time. I'm also upping my carbs as I suspect I have low thyroid. LOTS of raw fruit mostly and sweet potatoes.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    a uk gallon is 4.5 litres which is quite a lot. Potassium is lost in urine as well as sweat. You cant be eating much veg and fruit's on such a low carb diet so you aren't replacing what you've lost. early symptoms of slow potassium are muscle weakness, tiredness, poor concentration. the symptoms get more serious the lower the potassium gets. You could do with getting a test for U&Es from your GP. you say you make sure you get enough salt ( but neglect the potassium); if your sodium levels are high this also pushes the potassium down. Id suggest lowering your water intake (especially if you are taking other fluids as well) increasing your dietary potassium or taking a supplement.
    Also you aren't eating low carb at 25g you're eating very low carb
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-14-2013 at 07:39 AM.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    It might not even be the carbs at all causing this. It could be the toxins being released into your blood stream both as a result of the weightloss (excess fat gets used as energy, releasing all the stuff with it, into your blood stream) or simply just because your are cleaning up your diet big time.

Just another possibility. I felt like utter CRAP for a few weeks while my body was detoxing, and now I feel 5000x better since my body long ago finished detoxing the nasty stuff it doesn't need.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    Potassium is lost in urine as well as sweat.
    Mostly potassium is lost in urine. Perhaps a little bit is lost in sweat as well, but as I understand it, proportionately, it's mostly sodium lost when we sweat.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast