Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flour alternatives primal or not...? page

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member

Flour alternatives primal or not...?

Primal Fuel
    I have been planning a carb reload day... That day.. I want to have pizza.. I found a great recipe that has no nuts it in (trying to cut back on them), but it's made from Tapioca Flour, Coconut Flour, and Arrowroot. I'm just not sure how I feel about tapioca flour... is it really "Primal". I would not eat it everyday or even every other day.. but I could be open to using it on my re load day (I stay primal, but just a higher carb day). The only thing I'm worried about is eating tapioca flour and it hurting my gut like wheat does!! **GULP**

To the point:
    What do you all think about this list of kind-a-primal ingredients. Obviously, if you think all of these are bad.. I totally get that.. but I'm asking for people who have done a lot of research on these products to give a thought out answers... I think this would be helpful for a lot of people... So please.. if you just are against this, post somewhere else, please! thank you.

1. Arrowroot - The root of the arrowroot plant is ground into flour. Arrowroot flour is a bland and fine powder that becomes clear when cooked. Used mainly as a sauce thickener but used in some bread recipes Great thickening for clear sauces. Arrowroot is a herb

2. Tapioca Flour -Made from the root of the cassava plant. Ground is a light and fine white flour. Adds a chewy texture and thickening agents.

3. Green Plantain Flour (I here is stuff is awesome- obviously only if you eat bananas)

4. Amaranth Flour
    Made from the seed of the Amaranth plant. The Amaranth plant is a green leafy vegetable. The seeds are rich in protein. Amaranth flour is a wheat flour alternative used in baking. Alternative names: African spinach, Chinese spinach, Indian spinach and elephant ear. Not allowed in Paleo Diet

5. Maize Flour *(I found this on a paleo website and I thought it was interesting...)
    Maize flour is heavier than corn flour. Maize flour is ground from corn. Corn not allowed in Paleo Diet.

Will tapioca flour hurt my guts like wheat?

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    I'd go with the Tapioca flour, I regularly eat Yucca (Cassava) and its a very harmless starch... Excellent for a refeed. There's also white rice flour..I use it to make pancakes on occasion. And no, Tapioca definitely should not hurt your stomach its basically pure starch.

Quote Originally Posted by TCates190 View Post
    I'd go with the Tapioca flour, I regularly eat Yucca (Cassava) and its a very harmless starch... Excellent for a refeed. There's also white rice flour..I use it to make pancakes on occasion. And no, Tapioca definitely should not hurt your stomach its basically pure starch.
    Ohhhh really? I like what i'm hearing..

So, tell me about "starch" people complain about it... ? educate me! haha. I read and read and read.. sometimes i don't find the answers! (or I don't look at the right places for the right answer)

personally I can't do rice (stomach issues), but good to know

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I consider all flours to be decadent/celebratory foods due to the low-H2O/portion hazard but lack of seed toxins is definitely a plus. Blending them tends to mask their individual drawbacks:

Coconut flour is nice and low-cal so I always include it but the fiber absorption can get out of control so I limit it to 25% of the blend.

Almond, golden flax, hazelnut and other tree nuts/flower seeds have great flavor and texture but the calorie/polyunsaturate load adds up quickly so I also try not to use them alone.

Ground chia adds a nice spongy "chew" factor (I use white chia so it doesn't discolor the product), again around 25%.

Tapioca/potato/arrowroot starch are good if you want more carb/less fat with no flavor.

Chestnut/plantain/lucuma flours add carbs and a subtle sweet flavor, but are expensive.

Oat fiber comes up a lot as a GF baking boon but I haven't tried it yet. I'm generally unenthused about seed fibers so maize and amaranth wouldn't be my first choices either.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

I like nut flours... but it can't be good to eat that many.

nice run downPickle!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    "Maize" is the British word for what we call "corn" in the US. In the UK they use "corn flour" to mean what we call "cornstarch". I would definitely skip that one. No way is it paleo.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    "Maize" is the British word for what we call "corn" in the US. In the UK they use "corn flour" to mean what we call "cornstarch". I would definitely skip that one. No way is it paleo.
    I've never heard anyone use the word maize in the UK. I actually thought it was the other way around!

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, if you ate one serving of pizza dough once per week for the rest of your life, you'd be totally fine. Your health and longevity would be identical to someone who was 100% paleo (all other things being equal). But you'd be a happier person 'cause you get to eat pizza every now and then. Contrary to what paleo/primal people parrot, your body is perfectly capable of digesting gluten (except for when it isn't and you actually have gluten intolerance or Celiac). It's in the chronically high amounts that most Americans consume it when it becomes a problem. Just like with charred red mean (carcinogen), mercury in fish, artificial sweeteners, phytic acid, and the like - the dose is the poison. You can eat each of those every now and then and your body is perfectly able and willing to deal with these toxins and antinutrients.

Wheat flour makes superior dough because gluten is awesome at making dough. Every time I've tried baking with one of those "other" flours, I end up just regretting it and craving the real thing anyway. The baking products come out spongy, or flat, or just plain tasteless. If you eat 90-95% primal during the week, then just eat your damn pizza.

Edit: I reread your OP and noticed this sentence:

"The only thing I'm worried about is eating tapioca flour and it hurting my gut like wheat does!!"

Sorry I missed it the first time - if you actually do have GI issues then OK, probably steer clear of the gluten. BUT! If you're only not eating gluten as a once-in-a-while treat because you think it will cause problems in your otherwise healthy tubes, then don't be afraid! Gluten (in small amounts) is awesome! It won't kill you! It won't even make you sick!

Sorry for the rant. For some reason I'm something of a wheat crusader on here, even though I eat it sparingly and occasionally myself. Just trying to keep everyone honest
    Last edited by ajm422; 05-14-2013 at 08:17 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post
    I've never heard anyone use the word maize in the UK. I actually thought it was the other way around!
    I don't think you consume as much corn as we do here. But isn't it true that the word "corn" can be a general term that includes any cereal grains?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Yes, it confused me to no end when I first read Tolkien back when and when I saw references to Egypt supplying corn to Ancient Rome etc.

I make a substitute flour from rice flour, potato starch and tapioca. For 1 cup wheat flour substitute it gets the proportion of 2/3 cups of rice, 1/4 cup potato flour and 2 tbsp of tapioca. I also add about 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum if I need dough to stick together instead of being crumbly.

I have never tried substitute flours with yest dough, like pizzas, because Chaco mentioned they all need gluten to develop.

But Cook's county mentioned once that the nut-based dough will develop as well if left alone for longer when they showcased they cranberry-hazelnut muffin's recipe.

Freshly ground coconut meal (from dry coconut) makes a great base for any pie/cake recipes that has liquids poured over a crust.

To be honest, meatzza is the best sub for pizza and doesn't need to be had on the carb-up day.
    Last edited by Leida; 05-14-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast