Thread: So exasperated with trying to figure this out page

Raskalnikov92 is offline Junior Member

So exasperated with trying to figure this out

Primal Fuel
    I am 150-155 pounds (dont really care, dont really keep track). if i workout vigorously for two hours, four days a week (mostly calisthenics, easy jogging, and planking a bit) then would i be malnourished if i ate 1600-2000 calories a day?

I see all these numbers being thrown around like 2600 - 3000 calories.....i have been so diet obsessed for so long that when i see these numbers i am frankly flabbergasted as to how i would eat that many calories. So do i need to rethink my diet, or can i eat like this (i tend to try and eat around 1700, is this sustainable? Healthy?

Thanks, All!

btw, to put my diet in some context here is a hypothetical day

7Am wake up and have breakfast (3 whole eggs with 1 tbsp of olive oil, about a cup of spinach, and half a cup of broccoli. half of an avocado)

workout (fasted) around 2 - 3, probably eat lunch around 4.

usually this post shake i like to make (about 700-750 calories usually)

1. almond milk
    2. almond butter
    3. cup of coconut milk
    4. scoop of protein powder
    5. serving of full fat greek yogurt
    6. some blueberries
    7. two cups of spinach

Dinner: usually a piece of meat with 2 different kinds of vegetables cooked in olive oil, maybe another half of an avocado

this is ually 1700 cals or so... so how am i doing ? enough fat? too few calories? i am trying to get super lean for the first time... if i had to guess i would say im 11 PBF (granted i have no idea, im pretty lean) but i want to to get to like 8
    Last edited by Raskalnikov92; 05-13-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: more info!

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Eat till satiated then stop. Don't worry about other people.
    Well your edit changes the answer cause now you wanna be super lean rather than simply healthy. I'd check out pklopps IF threads in that case.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-13-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Great... i just hate the idea of thinking i am being malnourished or somehow cultivating some sort of disorder. This is the intuitive answer, and so i appreciate it, and am inclined to think similarly. Im glad you agree!!!!

as long as i get like, lets say .8 grams of protein per pound, and maybe 40-60 percent fat, this level of calories (1700-2000, generally 1700-1750) should not be a dilemma? At least i hope not

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It is a modern first world obsession that if we don't fixate on our diet to make sure we eat enough at all times, we will become malnourished. Because horrors, skipping one meal bar could mean the end of civilization as we know it.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raskalnikov92 View Post
    as long as i get like, lets say .8 grams of protein per pound, and maybe 40-60 percent fat, this level of calories (1700-2000, generally 1700-1750) should not be a dilemma? At least i hope not
    Yeah that mount of protein is generally agreed on to keep lean mass while shedding fat. If you start having issue you can always up the calories. Otherwise just do your thing

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raskalnikov92 View Post
    I am 150-155 pounds (dont really care, dont really keep track). if i workout vigorously for two hours, four days a week (mostly calisthenics, easy jogging, and planking a bit) then would i be malnourished if i ate 1600-2000 calories a day?

I see all these numbers being thrown around like 2600 - 3000 calories.....i have been so diet obsessed for so long that when i see these numbers i am frankly flabbergasted as to how i would eat that many calories. So do i need to rethink my diet, or can i eat like this (i tend to try and eat around 1700, is this sustainable? Healthy?

Thanks, All!

btw, to put my diet in some context here is a hypothetical day

7Am wake up and have breakfast (3 whole eggs with 1 tbsp of olive oil, about a cup of spinach, and half a cup of broccoli. half of an avocado)

workout (fasted) around 2 - 3, probably eat lunch around 4.

usually this post shake i like to make (about 700-750 calories usually)

1. almond milk
    2. almond butter
    3. cup of coconut milk
    4. scoop of protein powder
    5. serving of full fat greek yogurt
    6. some blueberries
    7. two cups of spinach

Dinner: usually a piece of meat with 2 different kinds of vegetables cooked in olive oil, maybe another half of an avocado

this is ually 1700 cals or so... so how am i doing ? enough fat? too few calories? i am trying to get super lean for the first time... if i had to guess i would say im 11 PBF (granted i have no idea, im pretty lean) but i want to to get to like 8
    I'm coming from the same place you are, also a bit overwhelmed by all the calories and fat being thrown around here lol. I've recently started transitioning from actively losing weight to maintenance, and also from IF with SAD, to primal with a bit of IF still thrown in. I've continued to lose weight, past my maintenance comfoet level, so I asked for advice here and the consensous is to eat more, and to up the carbs and protein. Its really hard to mentally shift gears though, and go from 1,600-1,800 calories a day to over 2,000. I'm going to give it a try though and see what happens. Tomorrows my first day at it-wish me luck
    Last edited by mom23kids; 05-13-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    *~Sara~*

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah that mount of protein is generally agreed on to keep lean mass while shedding fat. If you start having issue you can always up the calories. Otherwise just do your thing
    Great, seriously, one of those things where you cant stp thinking about it until you begin to feel feint and concussed... Sooooo not fun place to be mentally. Ok, so i have essentially been waiting for the green light by a knowledgable community before i gave MYSELF the go ahead to eat like this and not feel guilty or misinformed, or idiotic. Great, ill tell ya all how it goes!

Right?! It is enough to give you a panic attack. I come from a super health oriented background, everyone in my family is positively nutty. To my mind, there is a bit of a bell curve trajectory to diet consciousness. Initially, the more conscious the better. However, as you become increasingly conscious you start to OVERTHINK it, at which point it becomes a huge nuisance on your mind. I have gotten to the point where i have forgotten what it means to simply think intuitively about diet. Calories, fat, protein, carbs. Ahhhhhhh! anyway, i start thinking about ways to eat more calories and i just draw a blank... anyways i'm rambling haha. Good luck with your endeavor. Im going to see if i can stay satiated on 1800 calories. I hope i can or else i need to majorly reassess my dietary preconceptions lmao

Quote Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
    I'm coming from the same place you are, also a bit overwhelmed by all the calories and fat being thrown around here lol. I've recently started transitioning from actively losing weight to maintenance, and also from IF with SAD, to primal with a bit of IF still thrown in. I've continued to lose weight, past my maintenance comfoet level, so I asked for advice here and the consensous is to eat more, and to up the carbs and protein. Its really hard to mentally shift gears though, and go from 1,600-1,800 calories a day to over 2,000. I'm going to give it a try though and see what happens. Tomorrows my first day at it-wish me luck

PrimalCon New York
    it must be like 6 months that i have been trying to go a full two weeks of immaculate dieting (1700 calories or so as i outlined above) as well as immaculate workout schedule (mondays: calisthenics (insanely vigorous, i pride myself, none of my friends have ever survived a work out, im a bit loco about them), wednesday and friday same thing) and sunday i do some hiit training on the track. I have a bit of a pattern. i usually make it 6 or 7 days and then burn out and eat bad for two days. Then do it again. But i suspect that i stop not so much because i am incapable of continuing (i believe there is a point where the body wil get used to it...i hope! but because of a subliminal feeling that i am being malnourished......anyways now that i have confirmation that this is okay, i feel i can try again with renewed vigor

THANKS GUYS!