Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw nutritionist today... page

trigirl85 is offline Senior Member

Saw nutritionist today...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    With not great results. Apparently in two weeks I gained 2 #'s of fat. I find this hard to believe as I don't feel bigger and in fact was feeling slimmer. I also am smack at the beginning of my meses so if anyone out there has any information on the possibility of your body holding onto extra fat during menses to ease my mind please share! I thought I had also read something about your body holding onto extra fat right before it drops it but I may be imagining that to give me peace of mind.

The only thing I can think of was that I had some cow's milk dairy about 3 different times in those two weeks. So that and my goat butter are out the door entirely. I am also eating <30 g carbs and am now wondering if this is too low as mark recommends 50-100g for the sweet spot. I stopped keeping track this past weekend as my ratios were right on target (70F/25P/5C) and I have been in deficit the entire time by 500 or more, ate the same, and did an IF Sunday morning so I am so confused now. Do I go back to keeping track or just throw it all the wind and just say what will be will be (which I would love to do but scares me to death especially with these results). Any help or advice would be appreciated!
    Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm. ~Ambrose Bierce

(R)evolutionary Cuisine

My Journal

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    How do we know it's not water?

Because she uses I believe an impedance test that measures the amount of water, fat, and lean mass by attaching electrodes to my feet and hands and she calculates the changes based on the numbers it spits out. I am not clear on it, but she has been seeing me for 2 years so it's consistent at least. I wish it were water!
    Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm. ~Ambrose Bierce

(R)evolutionary Cuisine

My Journal

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I did the same testing with my nutritionist through my doctor (BIA, bioimpedence analysis). Even my doctor said that the results can be off a bit, so not to take one reading as the be all/end all (you should use them as a basic idea instead). For example, if you're dehydrated, your lean muscle mass will read lower than it really is because the muscles aren't hydrated.

That said, dairy could be an issue. I know that I didn't lose any weight at all until I did an elimination diet and got rid of all dairy (also grains, alcohol, sodas, the whole 9). I lost 5 pounds in a month (all fat, my muscle mass went up a bit) ... and nothing before, but that's just me.

I'm also hypothyroid so it was a bit dicey anyway as my body is still working on getting regulated. Have you been checked for any other issues?

My first thought would be to just eliminate dairy for the next period of time and see what that does. Unfortunately a lot of us are just super sensitive and any dairy stops weight loss. I'm still looking for a 12 step program for cheese :-) And also make sure you're adequately hydrated before the testing. But I wouldn't change everything based on one odd result. If the next one shows the next thing, then adapt again from there...

Hope that helps some!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trigirl85 View Post
    Because she uses I believe an impedance test that measures the amount of water, fat, and lean mass by attaching electrodes to my feet and hands and she calculates the changes based on the numbers it spits out. I am not clear on it, but she has been seeing me for 2 years so it's consistent at least. I wish it were water!
    As per Robb Wolf, those impedence tests are garbage. I can try to digg up the actual post he had about them, but the short version is to not trust them. Even the high quality tests are flawed. Remember Mark and his gold standard test results putting him at 18% body fat or something ridiculous like that? I stopped using impedence and started using a pair of $3 calipers. They're not great, but they're fine for showing trends over the weeks. The best guage I've found though is just how my clothes fit and what belt notch I'm on.

Now, with all of that being said, if you are trying to lean out, milk isn't doing you any favors. Even with the milk, if you're diet is otherwise solid, then you shouldn't have gained that much. How is your sleep? Elevated cortisol levels from poor sleep or excess stress could be throwing a wrench into the mix as well. And finally, if you're continually running a 500 calorie deficit, it might not be a bad idea to throw in a little binge day. Ideally keep the calories quality, but have fun and give your body a nice feast instead of famine.
    Last edited by Mike Alzen; 05-13-2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Clarity

Thanks for the info on impedence. I know they aren't the most reliable but it can be pretty hard to hear bad news like that. I have thought about the re-feeding, but honestly I'm the sort of person that gets in routine and gets set. I.e. I am intolerant to grains so there is no maybe i'll have some, it's just no and I am anal retentive about it because of health reasons. So now that I'm eating <50 g carbs per day only veg, no fruit, no tubers, now no dairy (really only goat milk butter) it can be pretty hard to just up and eat a sweet potato one day. Good point about sleep, yesterday I was completely zoned out all day which is unusual even for my first day for me and I literally could have eaten all day long I was not getting full or satisfied with usual food although I didn't.
    And by "throw is all to the wind" I meant just not count on myfitnesspal.com anymore and just see what happens in 2 weeks- which is scary! I mean, I know I eat under 40 grams of carbs no problem because I only eat low-carb veggies and not a ton. Now I am thinking I will go on an elimination diet and see if eggs/nightshades (bell peppers) are having an influence on me. I wish it were simple for me! Oh and yes I have been tested for everything under the sun, I have lupus for a DX as of now but not on steroids anymore and I lost 6.5# of fat the first 4 weeks so this just seems odd in comparison.

(R)evolutionary Cuisine

My Journal

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Is this nutritionist down with your way of doing things? How were they trained? Sorry if I missed that in your posts, and you explained that already.

When I went to the doc he said "You're doing South Beach, and I don't care so long as you are losing weight, and your blood's good." I tried to correct him, but he told me he didn't care "It's South Beach, I don't care." LOL.

I don't micro-examine my weight from week to week. But I'm steadily losing so, maybe I can afford not to worry. Good luck.

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you're on the right track, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

I didn't mean to eat a carb heavy meal or anything, but just more of what you're already eating for a day or so.

Good luck

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Can you get the test re-done in like another 2 weeks? That way you would be much closer to the same point in your monthly cycle as you were at the last measurement. It seems like that would have to be more accurate.

I don't know a lot about the impedance test, but it seems awfully far-fetched that it's measuring THAT many things accurately at once. It seems much more likely that something else is throwing it off. You can't possibly have put on 2 pounds of fat in 2 weeks if you're feeling slimmer.

Good luck.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member
    Most bodyfat measurement techniques are going to have flaws/variations - calipers, electrical signals, etc. By far the best tool to use is the mirror - take some before/after pictures. Also, your clothes (how tight/loose) they fit.

Plus, 2 weeks is a pretty short time to gauge oneself on weight loss or weight gain. PB is about LIFEstyle, not fad-diet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast