Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things I wish my doctor had told me but didn't... page

KotikBegemotik is offline Senior Member

Things I wish my doctor had told me but didn't...

...that the annoying little sebaceous cysts could have been cured with regular application of iodine. As opposed to telling me not to worry about them until one of the suckers got infected and now I'm dealing with it myself. With iodine. Bloody doctor.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill

"Keep Calm and Carry On"-British Wartime Poster

"Don't Panic"
    -H2G2

And now I'm going to stand quietly in the corner and pretend I didn't say anything embarrassing.

Anyone else have gripes with their doctor/s?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill

"Don't Panic"
    -H2G2

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I have a lot of doctor gripes but your post about the sebaceous cyst caught my attention. I have one on my index finger that is really annoying, while I was in seeing the doctor for some other reason I showed it to her and her suggestion was to refer me to another doctor to have it cut open, it sounded expensive so I didn't pursue it. So what I want to know is how often did you apply the iodine and was it just topically or did you open the cyst first and then apply the iodine?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Youtube has loads of cyst-draining videos. It's a popular genre.

So yeah....I tried iodine, hydrogen peroxide, drawing salve, and, lastly, castor oil and turmeric paste. I don't know if that was what ultimately did it, but the infected sucker is now draining. *shudder*

Still went to the physician. The doc said it looked good for something that's infected and oozing. She said it probably would have resolved itself in the next few days, but she still gave me antibiotics, both oral and topical. So I'm looking forward to a really messed up digestive system for the next 10 days.

I'm being proactive about the other 2-3 bumps I have and dosing them 2 times a day with iodine. Just painting it on. Will see what happens.

"Don't Panic"
    -H2G2

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    I had one surgically removed from my neck. Woke up half-way through the surgery to find out that my face was covered in a blue cloth and being used as a platform for all of their tools. They couldn't see that my eyes had opened so I said "Uhh, I'm awake under here btw..." I heard some scrambling and then got about 10 shots of local anesthesia in my neck in rapid succession. The fire I was feeling died down and I waited patiently under my cloth for them to finish.

The punchline? It's growing back.

I'm so sorry! These little buggers are the worst!

And waking up during surgery sounds absolutely terrifying. *shudder* Do you get nightmares about that?

I read that either iodine or castor oil would be your best friend. Dunno. I'm just glad that the doc didn't have to use sharp objects. I have a strong fear of anyone approaching me with sharp objects. Especially after the dentist told me that the numbing syringe really does go several inches into your cheek and jaw. I thought it only felt like that!

"Don't Panic"
    -H2G2

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    I wish I'd known about iodine back when I had a cyst that got infected. I went to a new doctor (a plastic surgeon), and that masochistic woman cut it out without anesthetic! It wasn't until afterwards when I talked to other people, including my derm, that I found out that's not the way it's done! And afterwards I had to pull out the gauze and repack it on a daily basis while the hole healed. Torture.
    Iodine is great stuff though. Since I've been taking it internally, I've had 2 stubborn warts clear up on their own. Apparently if your immune system is strong, it can take care of things like that, and iodine strengthens the immune system. One of them I'd had my derm burn off, and it came back. No sign of either of them now!

Speaking of derms, and things you wish your doctor had told you - I wish that back when I had horrible cystic acne in my early 20s that my derm (any one of the many that I saw during that time) would have suggested cutting out dairy and gluten. But they all were emphatic that what you eat has nothing to do with your skin! So I suffered for years, and eventually went on 2 courses of Accutane. No more acne, but who knows what kind of lasting effects that drug has had on my health.

Another lie I was told was by my general practitioner when he put me on medication for high blood pressure when I was 27. He said I'd probably have to be on it for life. A few years later, I was supplementing with coconut oil and started eating paleo and was able to stop taking my medication.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    I wish I'd known about iodine back when I had a cyst that got infected. I went to a new doctor (a plastic surgeon), and that masochistic woman cut it out without anesthetic! It wasn't until afterwards when I talked to other people, including my derm, that I found out that's not the way it's done! And afterwards I had to pull out the gauze and repack it on a daily basis while the hole healed. Torture.
    Iodine is great stuff though. Since I've been taking it internally, I've had 2 stubborn warts clear up on their own. Apparently if your immune system is strong, it can take care of things like that, and iodine strengthens the immune system. One of them I'd had my derm burn off, and it came back. No sign of either of them now!

Speaking of derms, and things you wish your doctor had told you - I wish that back when I had horrible cystic acne in my early 20s that my derm (any one of the many that I saw during that time) would have suggested cutting out dairy and gluten. But they all were emphatic that what you eat has nothing to do with your skin! So I suffered for years, and eventually went on 2 courses of Accutane. No more acne, but who knows what kind of lasting effects that drug has had on my health.

Another lie I was told was by my general practitioner when he put me on medication for high blood pressure when I was 27. He said I'd probably have to be on it for life. A few years later, I was supplementing with coconut oil and started eating paleo and was able to stop taking my medication.
    What a great testament to the benefits of proper nutrition. Outstanding!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by KotikBegemotik View Post
    And waking up during surgery sounds absolutely terrifying. *shudder* Do you get nightmares about that?
    I don't remember my dreams (or nightmares) very often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast