Thread: HELP! Thyroid & Hormones page

irongirl2181 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy HELP! Thyroid & Hormones

I have read a lot of research and posts but could use an outside opinion. I am a 32 year old female. Have always been in shape and healthy.

Went to the doctor last December for a physical and mentioned weight gain and fatigue.

Results: almost non-existent T3, Progesterone, & Testosterone. Was given cytomel (generic) and my OBGYN gave me testosterone and progesterone.

Fast forward to today: New labs ordered show now my T3 (I was on 25mg) is in range and my T4 has tanked. My testosterone is still non-existent and progesterone is normal. All of my other hormones are also extremely low including IGF and prolactin. My cortisol was also extremely low (but I know blood doesn't mean much).

All other tests are normal (iron, cholesterol,vit D, etc.)

My doctor now wants to add synthroid to the cytomel and I want to wait and make that a LAST resort if I do it at all. Has anyone had a similar experience? Did the cytomel shut down my T4? I plan on doing the saliva cortisol test which he gave me to take home. What else should I be doing?

Also, I keep thinking that maybe its a hypopituitary situation.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I don't know how true this is, but here you go. I am on T3 only also.
    Do I need* T4 at all?
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Not sure about the other homones, but if you take t3 your t4 is MEANT to tank. It's a feedback mechanism, and because you have plenty of t3, your body doesn't need to release any t4. I guess it could be an indication of taking slightly too much t3 - depends on what the reason for low t3 was before. Did you have a high rt3? In which case taking t4 now might be no good - it will just turn straight to rt3 and block the t3. If this wasn't the problem then maybe adding some t4 would be ok. It's not essential though. T4 is there to make t3. T4 itself is inactive. So long as you have enough t3 you should be OK. To the best of my knowledge.

I take t3, no t4, and in my blood tests t4 is supressed.

Are you feeling better? Less fatigue? Any weight loss?

I also had low cortisol in the am, high in the pm, and started supplementing cortisol in the morning. This was because I was having trouble with the thyroid meds getting into my cells. Which we judged from the fact that in spite of taking t3 I still felt like crud and couldn't lose weight.

I am not feeling better whatsoever. I gained 10 pounds before the medicine and another 10 while on it. I eat a near perfect diet and work out as much as I can with the energy I can muster up. Using a Nike Fuel and tracking calories I should be losing but I am not at all. I also feel horrible literally all day long.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    You need to fix your adrenals first before treating your thyroid because of the relation between your adrenals and your thyroid.

Read Amazon.com: Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome (9781890572150): James Wilson, Jonathan V. Wright: Books by Dr Wilson.

Do not go on Synthroid - you need to feed your thyroid and adrenals with huge doses of vitamin b, c and adrenal herbs. The Wilsons adrenal supplements have got me back on my feet and feeling much better.

You need to find a different doctor - he/she is only looking at one part - you need full saliva panels and liver function tests as your liver is crucial to converting different hormones into the correct ones you need..

Find an integrative doctor who will prescribe you bio-identical hormones (what progesterone and estrogen did your OBGYN prescribe you?) and look at the full picture - but educate yourself as well, so you have the knowledge to challenge your doctor when you know they are not doing their job, or not looking at it the right way.

I can't tell you the difference its made in my life to find a Doctor who knows what he is talking about,..

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    I also wanted to say that your energy levels point to Adrenal fatigue - you sound exactly like I was a few short months ago...

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Yes get the 24 hour saliva cortisol test, which is what I did, and showed mild adrenal fatigue, which is why the t3 meds didn't appear to be doing ANYTHING! I was in the same situation, a calorie level that SHOULD have led to weight loss and didn't. Tired ALL the time. Demand a wider range of tests. Don't go back on t4 yet, as nothing has been fixed or healed and you will get worse.

Good luck and DO NOT give up. You need to push and push until the docs find the right solution for YOU

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Are there any other tests I should be asking for besides the cortisol test? My doctor just based on symptoms told me
    I have stage 4 adrenal fatigue and to stop drinking coffee and sleep better but not much else. The problem is I gave up coffee once before and was let go because I couldn't get to work on time and was falling asleep at my desk... And that was by tapering. If I even have one half less cup I can't do more then stare at my screen the rest of the day. Yes... I am a mess.