Thread: If and kettlebells page

Muppet is offline Senior Member

Cool If and kettlebells

Excuse the double post - I wasn't sure which forum to post this under...

So I am getting back into working out after a long hiatus. I am really enjoying my Kettlebell workouts. I do them approximately 3 to 4 times a week. I'm starting to gain some muscle - yeah! For the past year I've been doing intermittent fasting, where I usually finished dinner around Seven and then I fast until lunchtime, which is usually around noon or one.

So here's my question: I work out in the morning, usually around 7 AM. I've heard that to get the best muscle gain once you should have some protein about 30 minutes to an hour after working out. Is this true? What do people do if they usually intermittent fast and the workout falls in the middle of the fast? Am i sacrificing muscle or reducing the help my body needs by not giving it some protein right away? or is that BS? Just wanted to get everybody's personal experiences. Thank you

Rosencrantz1 is offline Senior Member
    I've done KB workouts for the last few years, and have also done IF (8 hour fed/16 hour fast). I would work out in the morning fasted, and usually not break my fast until about 1 p.m. I've tried ingesting BCAAs before/after my workout, and also done it completely fasted.

Recently, I stopped IF to do a Whole30. I'm now eating a little protein pre-workout, a protein/carb meal post workout (usually a turkey-sweet potato hash), and a fat/protein focused breakfast about an hour after my post-workout meal.

For me, switching from IF to eating has vastly improved both my workouts AND my body composition. Although I've enjoyed my experiments with IF over the past year or two, I would say that for me, I'm getting better results without the IF.
    “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You're supposed to eat after working out, eh?

Maybe not always: Post Workout Fasting | Mark's Daily Apple