Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat only diet page

s0meguy is offline Junior Member

Meat only diet

Primal Fuel
    Two Brave Men Who Ate Nothing But Meat for an Entire Year

According to that website, they did a study where 2 people were fed solely meat for a year and they came out healthier than they came in. They report no health issues at all, no worse, physically and mentally. All they ate was meat during that year, no fish. This is very intriguing to me. But how can it be? Afaik not even paleo/primal people argue for this as a healthy way of life. Shouldn't they have all kinds of issues from lack of vitamins and minerals from veggies? They did eat a large variety of meat.

What do you think? Is it a hoax or possible?

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness

Start on page one and read through the whole thread. Lots of excellent anecdotes and links to useful websites on the subject. I read through the whole thing last week. Well worth it. Paleobird is an indispensable fount of meaty knowledge and experience.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post

Start on page one and read through the whole thread. Lots of excellent anecdotes and links to useful websites on the subject. I read through the whole thing last week. Well worth it. Paleobird is an indispensable fount of meaty knowledge and experience.
    Thanks for the link, will start reading it tonight
    *~Sara~*

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post

Awwwwwww. That is the nicest compliment ever.

To the OP, if I can answer any questions, I would be happy to help.

s0meguy is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for the help and comments. I've made a post in your thread PB. It's a new eye opener(!), since I found the paleo/primal world a few years ago. But I find it difficult to understand how we can live without the nutrients in veggies (1). This diet niche truly leaves all conventional wisdom about nutrition a smoldering pile of ash in its wake.

(1) I doubt that the anti-nutrients you mentioned as a reason for this are so incredibly potent though. If only for the fact that there are many other diets that heavily rely on veggies for nutrition. It also feels strange to think that we'd get all those nutrients we normally get from veggies from the meat, processed by the animals. You'd think that this would be a well known fact since meat (and all other foods) have been under a lot of laboratory scrutiny for nutritional value. Production of the nutrients in our bodies probably has a significant role too. Though between production in our own bodies and extraction from meat it suddenly doesn't sound so far fetched. It's not really a question since I already know it works. It just screws with my mind, having thought I really need veggies all my life.
    Last edited by s0meguy; 05-13-2013 at 01:45 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    The trick is that it's not lean meat. Most of the calories in the diet come from fat.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    this:Mathieu Lalonde, PhD
    is a very interesting AHS presentation about nutrient density you might find helpful.

Antinutrients are not as powerful in our modern day produce as they would have been in a paleolithic salad bar. We have basically bred them to be tame and sweeter and more nutrient dense (but they still can't hold a candle to animal products). Pre-agricultural produce would have been so nutrient poor and antinutrient heavy that it would hardly have been worth the time and effort to collect unless it was as a stopgap measure when the hunting was not going well.

Then there is the whole issue of bioavailability of the nutrients. Spinach may look good on paper but by the time the oxalates bind up other nutrients in your diet, you really aren't getting the full nutritional bang for the buck.

Magic is right that this is not just lean muscle meats. It needs to be nose to tail eating including fat, marrow, offal, bone broth, etc.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Check out the nutrition in 8 ounces of oysters, a dozen eggs and a half-pound of liver. If you keep plugging in other organ meats (goat liver will surprise you!) it doesn't take long to see that you don't technically need to eat plants at all. BUT - don't forget that cats eat grass and the stomach contents of their prey, wolves eat berries, etc.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Check out the nutrition in 8 ounces of oysters, a dozen eggs and a half-pound of liver. If you keep plugging in other organ meats (goat liver will surprise you!) it doesn't take long to see that you don't technically need to eat plants at all. BUT - don't forget that cats eat grass and the stomach contents of their prey, wolves eat berries, etc.
    The moral of this story is that, if you are consuming a good variety of animal products you can eat plant products that you actually like as opposed to feeling that you are "supposed to" eat them.
    I like mushrooms and bell peppers and berries, etc.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Explains how we survive winter.

Additionally, excess fat soluble vitamins get stored in your body fat. If you start shedding that, you reacquire those vitamins.

Paleobird: Not so sure about all pre-ag non-meats being bad. I've found a few wild things around here that were tasty. Not fully disagreeing with you, though. We have had a tendency to make things sweeter as time's gone on. Try wild carrot sometime - you might call it "Queen Anne's Lace". At least, we do here.

Thank you for the video, though, going to watch that when I catch some time.

M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast