Thread: Hello I'm Veggie page

Veggie is offline Junior Member

Hello I'm Veggie

Shop Now
    Hello!

I have not come here to fight anyone about vegetarian vs omnivorism! I am veggie for personal reasons, and I do not judge those who eat meat.

I am an lacto vegetarian looking for diet guidance, ideas, and recipes. I read that the founder of this site has vegetarian family members so I am hopeful that there will be a subculture here in Primal world who are vegetarian.

I have been reading some books on carbohydrates and I am coming to the conclusion that I am particularly sensitive to the bad effects of Carbs. Can anyone recommend forums, or books to help vegetarians and vegans be low carb?

ps I workout nearly every day, I think I have good energy and good health. I have no complaints other that weight management. I constantly battle pounds creeping onto my middle. I may seem healthy or normal to many people, but I am not happy with my current weight and maintenance of any loss.

-Thank you

Nebbie the Veggie
    Last edited by Veggie; 05-13-2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: wanted to add a ps

paleodutch is offline Senior Member
    Hi, I don't exactly know what a lacto vegetarian is so excuse a dumb question. Do you eat fish, seafood and eggs? If so it should be very possible to go primal.
    Save food will in any case be coconut oil, coconut milk, plain coconut, olives and olive oil to get healthy fats in your diet. And avoid soy.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Paleodutch, quick glossary for you!

Lacto = dairy

Ovo = eggs

Pescatarian = fish

I do not eat fish, eggs or meats. I have read conflicting information on soy, so I am uncertain on that. Soy, legumes, nuts some vegetables and dairy are my main sources of protein. I have made a decision to eliminate bread, noodles, rice and chips from my every day diet in an attempt to lower my carb intake from now on. I have a lot more reading to do on the subject. I am currently reading Good Calories - Bad Calories. I have been compelled to try lower carb to see what happens. I am also very curious about so called good carbs bad carbs... and how they integrate into the low carb equation.

I use olive oil primarily.. I do enjoy coconut milk in veggie curries... not having rice will be hard for me.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Google cauliflower rice

Baconoholic is offline Junior Member
    The Paleo Network just came out with a vegetarian/vegan recipe book. You might want to look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconoholic View Post
    The Paleo Network just came out with a vegetarian/vegan recipe book. You might want to look into that.
    Thanks.. I will look into it

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Your PS was very revealing! Excess mid-section fat is a common symptom of overtraining. Hook yourself up with the free downloads from this site which include 'primal' exercise plans. (NB. Many of us, including me, don't follow these exactly, but they're a good starting point.)

Primal is more than just food - exercise, stress management, adequate sleep and play.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Food-groups for a Primal lacto-vegetarian:
    -Dairy: Try and do any frying or roasting in butter, as it's very heat-stable. Have some source of dairy every day, preferably alongside a serving of nuts (they're very compatible!). Cottage cheeses and yoghurts are very good, but some cheeses have a lot of additives, so keep an eye on the ingredients list!
    Shopping list: butter, cottage cheese, cheddar, greek yoghurt.

-Nuts and seeds: Eat some nuts and seeds daily too. Almond butter and tahini are great adds for Paleo-cereal or smoothies and will give you a fat+protein boost. You don't need to eat a lot of them to get this boost, though! Nuts are very nutritionally dense. Avocados also count, although they're a fruit.
    Shopping list: avocado, coconut, almonds, nut and seed butters, seed mix.

-Sweet fruit: Eat some sweet fruit or some starchy tubers every day, in smaller amounts if you're trying to lose weight or fat adapt, in larger amounts if you do endurance or fast often.
    Shopping list: seasonal fruits, bananas, apples...etc

-Non-sweet fruit: Eat some of these often enough to keep your vitamins up. They aren't essential for every day, but it's important to eat some over the week.
    Shopping list: bell peppers, courgette, tomatoes, pumpkin...etc

-Starchy tubers: If you haven't had sweet fruit on a certain day, have some starchy tubers. Try and go for ones with better nutritional profiles. So, for example, go for sweet potato over white potato, as sweet potato is more vitamin-dense. White potatoes are fine, but, if you want to maximize micronutrients, go for other varieties.
    Shopping list: white potato, sweet potato, yam...etc

-Leafy greens and flowers: You can have them daily or two times a week, but no less. Also, no limp salads! Have a good-sized serving of leafy greens and flowers to add extra calcium and other minerals into your diet.
    Shopping list: spinach, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower...etc

-Oils: Have some every day, but only use olive-oil and coconut-oil. These oils are more natural and have more favourable fatty-acid profiles.
    Shopping list: olive oil, coconut oil.

-Other: Have these on hand, but consume in moderation. Some are just VERY calorie-dense, so you don't need much, others are good in small amounts, but maybe not for everyday.
    Shopping list: dried fruits, high-quality chocolate (look for a high cocoa content), honey (if you consume it), maple syrup, green peas.

Example meals:
    greek yoghurt with mixed nuts and a banana
    peppers stuffed with cauliflower-rice, chives, garlic and goat's cheese (seasoned as you wish)
    potato-cubes, courgette, pepper, spinach and onion pan-fried in coconut oil
    yoghurt, coconut, almond butter, banana and strawberry smoothie
    carrot and pumpkin soup with cinnamon-chili seasoning and olive-oil mixed into it at the end
    baked sweet potato with coconut oil/butter mashed into it and cheddar cheese melted on top

Example snacks:
    1 apple with 50g almond-butter
    veggie-sticks with tahini-olive-oil mix (1 part olive-oil to 3 parts tahini, with a bit of salt and pepper)
    veggie-sticks with cottage-cheese
    dark chocolate
    any fruit

Apart from that, of course, you can treat yourself to non-Primal foods once in a while too, but I'd keep it to a minimum. Unless you're DYING for a veggie-pizza with all the toppings and a pile of chips, it's best to steer clear.

Also bear in mind that removing stuff like fortified grains and not eating eggs means you may still need a B12 supplement, as your main sources would be removed. You can get injectable and pill-form supplements at a pharmacy, but you may need to consult a doctor first and confirm that the supplements are not animal-derived.

Hope that helps give you an idea of what your diet would be like.

................................../\
    ................................/....\
    ............................../........\
    ............................/.OTHER..\
    ........................../-----------\
    ......................../..FLOWERS +..\
    ....................../..LEAFY GREENS..\
    ..................../-------------------\
    ................../..............................\
    ................/......OILS AND FATS.......\
    ............../---------------------------\
    ............/......DAIRY......|.....NUTS +.....\
    ........../......................|.....SEEDS........\
    ......../-----------------------------------\
    ....../....SWEET FRUIT....|.....STARCHY........\
    ..../........BERRIES.........|.....TUBERS............\
    ../______________________________________\

Food-pyramid style!
    If you become more fat or protein adapted, swap the dairy, nuts and seeds layer for the sweet fruit and starchy tubers layer. However tribal societies that lean more towards vegetarian diets tend to eat a lot of slow-release carbs, moderate fat and moderate protein.
    Last edited by Kochin; 05-14-2013 at 10:31 AM.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...