Thread: IF and kettlebells page

Muppet is offline Senior Member

Cool IF and kettlebells

Primal Fuel
    So I am getting back into working out after a long hiatus. I am really enjoying my Kettlebell workouts. I do them approximately 3 to 4 times a week. I'm starting to gain some muscle - yeah! For the past year I've been doing intermittent fasting, where I usually finished dinner around Seven and then I fast until lunchtime, which is usually around noon or one.

So here's my question: I work out in the morning, usually around 7 AM. I've heard that to get the best muscle game once you have some protein about 30 minutes to an hour after working out. Is this true? What do people do if they usually intermittent fast and the workout falls in the middle of the fast? Am i sacrificing muscle or reducing the help my body needs by not giving it some protein right away? or is that BS? Just wanted to get everybody's personal experiences. Thank you

Dignan is offline Junior Member
    Bumping this because I have the same question!

Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    So I am getting back into working out after a long hiatus. I am really enjoying my Kettlebell workouts. I do them approximately 3 to 4 times a week. I'm starting to gain some muscle - yeah! For the past year I've been doing intermittent fasting, where I usually finished dinner around Seven and then I fast until lunchtime, which is usually around noon or one.

So here's my question: I work out in the morning, usually around 7 AM. I've heard that to get the best muscle game once you have some protein about 30 minutes to an hour after working out. Is this true? What do people do if they usually intermittent fast and the workout falls in the middle of the fast? Am i sacrificing muscle or reducing the help my body needs by not giving it some protein right away? or is that BS? Just wanted to get everybody's personal experiences. Thank you

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    you might want to read Martin Berkham's leangains approach as he talks about this in great detail

in short he recommends BCAAs
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

kansas-klx is offline Member
    From what I have read in Mark's fasting info here on the site and Brad Pilon's site, it probably won't hurt anything at all. May even be helpful. Your IF interval is too short for anything negative to occur and energy that would be used in digestion is diverted to other important functions, such as autophagy and GH release. If you like your routine and are comfortable with it, keep it up!

FreddyW is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another solution would be to move your workout close to lunchtime if that is possible with your current schedule.