Thread: Facebook question page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Facebook question

When I trying to view a recipe, not on this site, there is a link to click that states "click to see Facebook post". I see this on a great many websites. I'm annoyed that the poster can't just show me what they offer. I spent a lot of time removing myself from Facebook, not that I actually believe they let me go, but, by clicking on the above quote and I still safe from being tracked down and re-initiated as a Facebook member? Am I misunderstanding this?

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Can you give an example of a site that does this? I don't really know what you're talking about. You will probably not be able to view the pages unless you are logged in as a Facebook member.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Follow the money. By forcing you to like facebook pages or tweet something, people are using you to market the money-making end of their business for them, click ads on their site, or buy a product they sell as an affiliate. It's the same here, where someone starts a recipe thread that doesn't contain a recipe, only a link to their blog where they actually posted it.

There are lots of people who create plugins to force these actions. I'm on all sorts of mailing lists that sell them.

Actually, I have taken a chance and gone to the Facebook site and was able to view the entire recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Follow the money. By forcing you to like facebook pages or tweet something, people are using you to market the money-making end of their business for them, click ads on their site, or buy a product they sell as an affiliate. It's the same here, where someone starts a recipe thread that doesn't contain a recipe, only a link to their blog where they actually posted it.

There are lots of people who create plugins to force these actions. I'm on all sorts of mailing lists that sell them.
    When I have a minute I look for a website example to show you.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Can you give an example of a site that does this? I don't really know what you're talking about. You will probably not be able to view the pages unless you are logged in as a Facebook member.
    An example of this is Splendid Low-Carbing. It seem all the recipes refer you to the Facebook link.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    An example of this is Splendid Low-Carbing. It seem all the recipes refer you to the Facebook link.
    It looks like they link to their Facebook page for tracking purposes, but then the Facebook page links back to the blog anyway (for the actual recipe content). They also have their posts set to public, so you don't have to have an account to view the content. The only way you could get re-initiated onto Facebook is if you specifically set up an account, it's not something that could happen automatically.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for clearing that up. Our church has a Facebook page and I've avoided it just so I don't get dragged in or hounded to re-sign up.