Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bring on the Beef! (grass fed ofcourse) Alexa85's PB Journal page

alexa85 is offline Senior Member

Bring on the Beef! (grass fed ofcourse) Alexa85's PB Journal

Primal Fuel
    i thought i'd jump on the band wagon of journal'ers.
    my name is alexa, i'm 25 years old and live way down south in mobile, al - a big small city near the gulf coast of alabama. here's the quick story of how i got to where i am now with PB. i was an athelete all through highschool and on into college. but, after quitting the soccer team i began slowly but steadily plumping up. graduated college, continuing to plump up...into a new and happy relationship even plumper...i found myself 5'1 and probably 180lbs or more. i began counting calories, working out six days a week and learning about all things fitness. a year later i was down 50lbs to a respectable 130lbs. i ended up becoming certified in personal training and dabbled in that for a while. but, after my struggle and defeat of my weight issue i felt entitled to eat however much and whatever i wanted to. after creeping up about six pounds i decided to try p90x which ultimately led me to PB.
    i have been at it about 7 weeks now...i am 127.2lbs today. i probably weighed somewhere around that in high school but did not have the muscle definition or body composition that i do now. my partner of three years is bravely joining me on my primal quest and has lost about 12lbs to date, and has lowered her bp and heart rate to normal levels. she probably has about 30lbs to go to reach her goal. i think she's lost several inches, makes me wish we had taken measurements.
    yesterday we both did our first 16hr IF. today is day number 2 (and also happens to be my day 60 of p90x). i'm less hungry today than yesterday, thankfully i feel very alert and energized despite having had nothing to eat.
    in short, i love the primal lifestyle. i talk about it every chance i get to whoever will listen. i have converted a few people already and probably sold mark at least three books i'm excited in a nerdy way about journal'ing
    i will maintain the truth
    i knew naturally as a child
    i won't forfeit my creativity
    to a world that's all laid out for me
    i'll look at everything around me
    and i will vow to bear in mind
    that all of this was just someone's idea
    it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the tribe, Alexa!

thanks!

i really blew it this weekend as far as alcohol goes on friday night. i only had five beers but judging by the way i felt on saturday morning i might as well have drank a whole case! in my college days, i could drink an 18pk at night wake up in the morning go to class and work two jobs. oh how times have changed!
    until about february of this year i had not done much to cut back on my drinking. i had tried a few times and it would work for a while and then inevitably i'd end up getting completely snockered again, waking up and asking my girlfriend questions to see if i had said/done anything stupid. after mardi gras this year i decided that i would cut back on my drinking, which i have successfully done since then. three or four (with one or two being the norm) beers are my max. i found out this weekend why. if i have any more than that, i have the woooorrrrsssttt headache and am on the verge of vomitting for the entire next day. since going primal, my system cannot tolerate that level of alcohol. four beers is the limit if i want to function at all the next day!
    so, to make up for the carb damage of beer (and get the toxins out, blah!) i have decided to do more fasting this week. i completed my third 16 IF this afternoon at lunch time. (my first two were last week, wednesday and thursday). i like IFing and after doing it only two times last week i went from 127ish to 125ish on friday. it's definitely helping my girlfriend with her weight loss goals also. i've noticed that we actually end up skipping meals inadvertently on the weekends. i plan to continue that this weekend while we are camping. eating breakfast and dinner and skipping lunch, but continuing our low level exercise (swimming, play, hiking, and biking) to really boost our fat burning skills.

i'm fasting on monday, wednesday, and friday of this week. feeling good about it so far today. on monday during my morning 16 hour fast i started feeling kinda out of it, which was strange. i wasn't nauseated or light headed...really more foggy than anything it lasted even after i ate my lunch. haven't had that feeling yet today so that's good.
    last night my girlfriend and i, in preparation for a weekend camping trip, made homemade turkey jerky and the fruit/nut/protein energy bars. i haven't tried the jerky yet but the bars were awesome. my girlfriend is choosing to call them brownies instead of primal fruit nut energy protein bars today we are going to dry some more fruit for snacks on the trip. we have decided to have only breakfast and dinner since we can't really eat sandwiches and chips like everyone else and i don't intend to stop what i'm doing and grill something.

i have been taking the week off from my normally scheduled p90x workouts. instead, i have been riding bike a lil bit (very lil), walking dogs three times a day, and gardening. i plan on starting BJJ next week two times a week so obviously my p90x workouts will have to change and be reorganized, which i don't mind. i'm ready for unstructured.
    right now, i am trying to be mindful of when i am actually hungry versus feeling compelled to eat through boredom or schedule. last night, we hadn't had dinner we pulled up at moe's for our weekly butt naked homewreck and we got off the motorcycle i told melissa i wasn't hungry. she said, hmm, neither am i...so we went home. i'm trying to work on more flexibility with meals...lunch doesn't have to include a meat and veggies kinda thing. i often end up literally grazing because i didn't have time or leftovers to pack for lunch.

camping went really well this weekend. for the first time in my short camping history we brought just the right amount of food and absolutely none of it was wasted. i took extra time to prepare all primal snacks for us to take with us. i dried apples and bananas, melissa made turkey jerky, made trail mix, mixed berries, and the primal nut, protein energy bars were amazing! primal food lends itself really well to camping (duh) and i was very pleased with our time outside and in our tent. being away from the computer and television was great. next time, iphones off!
    i have come down a couple of ounces since our camping trip to an even 126.0 this morning, but melissa went back up almost three pounds. i'm not really sure what to make of it. maybe we ate too much fruit, although i don't think we ate any more than we normally ate. maybe it was the beers? we didn't over drink and have certainly had more to drink on other occasions without subsequent weight gain. i still haven't figured it out.
    i took my first BJJ/self defense class yesterday evening and really enjoyed it. i look forward to incorporating this into my fitness plan post p90x...which i have kinda given up on in it's purest intended form. i've gotten to tired of the regimentation.

yesterday i was in the worst mood pretty much all day. i decided to skip bjj/self defense class and went for a date with my girlfriend instead. we had some great seafood - steamed royal reds and oysters for me. i tried to be the best lil primal soldier i could be as the normal side with seafood down here is red potatoes and corn on the cob. we ordered salad and broccoli instead, but they were out of broccoli! so i did induldge in a couple of baby red potatoes and a mojito...
    i'm going to my friend's house tonight and she's cooking pasta. i'm to bring a salad which i will make extra big and pack some salmon, feta, balsamic, and EVOO for my salad as i will be abstaining from pasta. i'm heading to the store after work to stock up on some new snacks, ideas that i got from the nice folks on the forum
    i haven't been working out for the past two weeks...last week we gardened a few nights out of the week and i did some super woman tilling so that counts as a work out! we walk our dogs three times a day around the culdesac. not much of a distance, but better than nothing. over the weekend, there was swimming and biking while we were camping. i need to get back at it, and i know it. i will do better next week

i'm back on the band wagon this week after taking a couple of weeks off from training. i cheated a lil at a memorial day party with some homemade icecream and peanut butter pie! yummo. i did a total jump rope interval work out on tuesday that went well. i was impressed with my cardio stamina after being on such a long break. jumping rope in my vibrams for the first time on a concrete floor wasn't the best idea, but i'll get used to it i'm sure. i went to my second bjj class yesterday evening and had a blast. i had almost talked myself out of going due to some heavy duty all day cramps but decided to suck it up and go. i'm so glad that i did. i tend to talk myself out of workouts if they're later in the day. so i want to remember this..."don't try and squirm out of bjj class b/c you like it and you will be glad you went and will regret not going." i always am nervous about trying new things especially when i don't know anyone etc...i was nervous that i would be in over my head. i guess i was thinking i would be in a class with some giant mma women, but that isn't the case at all. it's a small class, but my fitness level seems to be better than most of the other women. that was one thing i was nervous about. i can't wait to continue and go ahead and get my gi for class.
    i'm thinking of doing a yoga tape tonight to kinda wind down and maybe soak in a bath. i need a lil relaxation in my life right now.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i'm excited about all the changes going on in my life right now! next friday my partner and i will pick up our share of a fourth of a grass fed cow and half of a pastured pig. should be enough meat to feed us for almost a year. we are also finding local farmer alternatives to produce. i've also started BJJ twice a week and am loving it. i was very nervous about going to it. i didn't know what to expect. i've noticed that my fitness level is better than most of the other women. i just wish i had started class at the same time as them. right now my problem is that my fitness is much better than the others but i don't know as much BJJ as the others so i'm behind. i picked up a kettlebell and was looking for someone in my area who could train me and show me how to use it properly. i turned to my old go to trainer who is a boxer by trade. after him not returning my texts and irritating me i just happened to do a google search and found out that a man in my area actually trained with pavel and has the rkc certification. i will start training with him tomorrow and couldn't be more excited. he talked about using the heavy ropes as well. he is actually cheaper than my old trainer and is less than five minutes from my house

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast