Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The sandwiches, the pizza, and the damage done page

Sick Man Talking is offline Junior Member

The sandwiches, the pizza, and the damage done

Primal Fuel
    Hello all

I am a bread addict. As a teenager I used to eat six slices of white, buttered bread as a snack. As a young adult I became heavily interested in pizza and all types of sandwiches.

Delicious.

The only problem is that in my late twenties, this lifestyle seems to be catching up with me. I'm 6ft 2in and I weigh a soft, increasingly round 225 lbs. I have dry skin, aches and pains, and I seem to be becoming more vulnerable to colds.

I bought Mark's book a number of weeks ago and have tried to follow the Primal eating once, but I gave up after a few days because I felt so tired that I didn't want to do anything. I'm guessing this is just my body being shocked at the lower blood sugar, so I am going to give it another try from today.

My first observation is that it is really difficult to overeat when you're just eating plants and animals. I typically don't eat my first meal of the day until the afternoon, and when I do I am ravenous and will stuff my face with large piles of starchy carbohydrates. Today, I ate three chicken breasts with some raw spinach and some mustard and found myself feeling so stuffed that I couldn't contemplate the idea of more food later.

If this continues, I will have to add a lot more fat to my diet just to stop myself from wasting away.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Go ahead and eat some fat. It doesn't always have to be lean meat. Eat chicken thighs with the skin.

Yeah, I'm going to give that a try. I have some walnuts and macadamia nuts as well.

I tried some skinless chicken thigh fillets, and found that I didn't like the texture so much. Perhaps if you have a whole roasted chicken and eat the thighs with the skin on as you said, that might do the trick.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    You may not end up on a higher fat version of primal, but at the start, particularly for us carb addicts, more fat is a great way to reassure your body you're not starving it.

If you feel great on a late meal - that's fine. But if you're 'starving' by the time you do actually eat, you might want to try having some eggs and bacon for breakfast. You might also want to try adding some starchy vegetables to your evening meal. (One trial showed fat loss occurred just by moving carbs from breakfast to dinner. No other changes.)

Another way to nuke carb cravings is get lots of sleep!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    You may not end up on a higher fat version of primal, but at the start, particularly for us carb addicts, more fat is a great way to reassure your body you're not starving it.

If you feel great on a late meal - that's fine. But if you're 'starving' by the time you do actually eat, you might want to try having some eggs and bacon for breakfast. You might also want to try adding some starchy vegetables to your evening meal. (One trial showed fat loss occurred just by moving carbs from breakfast to dinner. No other changes.)

Another way to nuke carb cravings is get lots of sleep!

Good luck!
    Thanks! I think I will find the having breakfast thing to be quite inconvenient because I'm used to not bothering with food in the morning. I'll give it a try if I'm not able to follow the eating method without binging on the high carb stuff.

I ended up feeling really sleepy today and craving some kind of lift. I totally went back to eating bread and all the other stuff that makes me feel lethargic and causes me to put on weight. It seems ludicrous that my choice of solution for a drop in energy is something that ultimately will make my energy drop even further. It's probably my body crashing again after being used to all of those starchy, grainy treats.

I will try again tomorrow...

Consider having some fruit and boiled eggs handy in case you need a snack. Or maybe a very dark chocolate bar.

It takes a different sort of planning to eat this way successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Consider having some fruit and boiled eggs handy in case you need a snack. Or maybe a very dark chocolate bar.

It takes a different sort of planning to eat this way successfully.
    Thanks. I'll probably give at least one of those a try. I think you've identified my problem, that I don't do any kind of planning with food. I'm used to eating quite bland food and being satisfied because it's wedged in between two slices of bread.

Who needs to make a salad dressing when you can just order a pizza?

People who want to be fit and healthy, I suppose...

For just a salad for me I sprinkle over it (on my dish) salt, pepper, a bit of vinegar, and plenty of olive oil, then stir it around and eat it like that. I never make a dressing unless I am serving multiple people.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    For just a salad for me I sprinkle over it (on my dish) salt, pepper, a bit of vinegar, and plenty of olive oil, then stir it around and eat it like that. I never make a dressing unless I am serving multiple people.
    I think salt and pepper might be the key there. I have used extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, but still found the salad to be a bit bland.

As far as dressings go, I saw Jamie Oliver make one where he just put three parts olive oil and one part lemon juice in a jar, added a spoonful of Dijon mustard and shook it for a while.

You could put a simple dressing made from oil and vinegar, salt and pepper in a bottle and leave it on the counter to shake and serve. A dressing containing perishable components should be refrigerated, which would congeal the olive oil so it wouldn't be ready to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast