Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Healthy pans? page

Drlove is offline Senior Member

Healthy pans?

Shop Now
    Hey,

I'm really trying to get my family into the whole concept of primal eating, sadly we have some logistic matters:
    First, If I want to cook a lot of meat, we need good pans (with a lot of other things).

Till now we've been using the good old fashioned pans, but the meat sticks to them like hell.
    I thought of getting a good non-stick pan, but so many of them are so damn dangerous.

I heard of a few trusty companies who make safe non-stick pans, like Woll and Swiss Diamond, but they're quite expensive, so I wanted to get a few recommendations before proceeding with the matter.

I'd really appreciate if you can recommend a brand of good, safe pans.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    what do you cook meat in now?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Cast iron. If meat is sticking, they either aren't seasoned properly, or you aren't using the right amount of heat/oil.

Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-To
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    We use enamel coated cast iron.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    We have stainless steel pans. They're very heavy. Steak and other things stick to it a bit but we use Barkeeper's Friend to get the stuck-on stuff off.

The non-stick stuff actually off-gases toxic chemicals that can kill pet birds and we have 4 of them.

I wish we had a cast iron pan. Maybe someday I'll get one from the thrift store.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I wish we had a cast iron pan. Maybe someday I'll get one from the thrift store.
    Check out HomeGoods or TJ Maxx. We get all of our cooking utensils there for way less than retail.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Are you using the Non-Stick improperly? The teflon out-gassing only happens when you scorch them, boil them dry. Or are you just trying to be as safe as possible?

Look into OrGreenic or other green pans. Properly seasoned and cared for cast iron, stainless, etc..
    Last edited by pyro13g; 05-13-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Drlove is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the answers, I'll discuss this with my family, and we'll decide.

paleodutch is offline Senior Member
    I just got 2 lovely cast iron pans with blue enamel outsides from Ikea, in the bargain corner

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    We use a cast iron skillet that we think is over a hundred years old. It looks positively ancient. Works as good as new. Found it at my gf's grandmother's house. I keep it properly seasoned, and add a lot of butter. Don't usually have problems with sticking foods, though scrambled eggs are always a challenge. Not worth buying a nonstick pan over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast