Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Healthy pans?

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post
    We use a cast iron skillet that we think is over a hundred years old. It looks positively ancient. Works as good as new. Found it at my gf's grandmother's house. I keep it properly seasoned, and add a lot of butter. Don't usually have problems with sticking foods, though scrambled eggs are always a challenge. Not worth buying a nonstick pan over.
    That's interesting. Eggs are my "is this seasoned well" test. If I can put in some butter and slice an egg around, it's perfect. I would think that your heat isn't right for the eggs (I always pre-heated for a few minutes on a very low flame before cooking anything) if they stick.
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    That's interesting. Eggs are my "is this seasoned well" test. If I can put in some butter and slice an egg around, it's perfect. I would think that your heat isn't right for the eggs (I always pre-heated for a few minutes on a very low flame before cooking anything) if they stick.
    It works for fried eggs just fine. As well as Teflon, really. I find with scrambled eggs the cooking fat mixes with the eggs and everything ends up sticking if I'm not careful. I combat this by warming the eggs in warm water first and cooking the eggs over a very high heat. Honestly it really isn't an issue for me anymore, but it's the only area in which the skillet can't completely outperform teflon. Cooking scrambled eggs in a Teflon pan is brain-dead simple and, in my experience, can't be matched by the most perfectly seasoned skillet. It's like magic.

Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post
    It works for fried eggs just fine. As well as Teflon, really. I find with scrambled eggs the cooking fat mixes with the eggs and everything ends up sticking if I'm not careful. I combat this by warming the eggs in warm water first and cooking the eggs over a very high heat. Honestly it really isn't an issue for me anymore, but it's the only area in which the skillet can't completely outperform teflon. Cooking scrambled eggs in a Teflon pan is brain-dead simple and, in my experience, can't be matched by the most perfectly seasoned skillet. It's like magic.
    I used a fried egg in my example, but the only way I have the problem you described with scrambled eggs is if I don't heat the pan for long enough before applying anything (even fat). I use eggs straight from the fridge, too. Whatever works!
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

Shop Now
    You have to be careful with iron:
    Iron's Dangers