Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Any one else experience this? page

  1. #1
    Mikee5's Avatar
    Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    126

    Any one else experience this?

    Primal Fuel
    Right after a high calorie or large meal I just slump and crash. I know this is common with high carb or sugar meals but even after a steak and some green beans, I just go all dizzy and sleepy and it's pretty extreme, not the usual energy crash. I can barely function or think.

    I've tried eating no carb on meals, low protein, still the same. When I reduce the size of my meals the effect isn't so bad but it's still there. These are medium sized meals and I could handle much larger quantities pre-lowcarb! Does my body have issues digesting fat? This never happened pre-low carb (was on very low fat, low protein). Should I limit or reduce my fat intake? I have a naturally large appetite but I've only been low carb for a month, should I give it time for my body to adapt better to fat? I wake up with so much energy and my workouts are great but after eating I just crash and need to lie down. I'm not diabetic neither am I overweight. I thought the general energy crash after eating only related to the high carbohydrate consumption (I keep it at 10g a meal max). It only started happening on week 2 and has gotten progressively worse. I consume about 200g of fat, 130g protein and 30g carbs. I take Omega 3 supplements, pottasium and magnesium. I have no hidden sugars or starches in any of my food. I drink a gallon of water a day as well.

  2. #2
    dacec's Avatar
    dacec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    297
    I would suspect the high amount of fat. Why don't you ease up on it a little and see how your body reacts?

    Sometimes this way of eating requires some playing around with macros to find what works best for you...every body has different needs.

  3. #3
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    4,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    Right after a high calorie or large meal I just slump and crash. I know this is common with high carb or sugar meals but even after a steak and some green beans, I just go all dizzy and sleepy and it's pretty extreme, not the usual energy crash. I can barely function or think.

    I've tried eating no carb on meals, low protein, still the same. When I reduce the size of my meals the effect isn't so bad but it's still there. These are medium sized meals and I could handle much larger quantities pre-lowcarb! Does my body have issues digesting fat? This never happened pre-low carb (was on very low fat, low protein). Should I limit or reduce my fat intake? I have a naturally large appetite but I've only been low carb for a month, should I give it time for my body to adapt better to fat? I wake up with so much energy and my workouts are great but after eating I just crash and need to lie down. I'm not diabetic neither am I overweight. I thought the general energy crash after eating only related to the high carbohydrate consumption (I keep it at 10g a meal max). It only started happening on week 2 and has gotten progressively worse. I consume about 200g of fat, 130g protein and 30g carbs. I take Omega 3 supplements, pottasium and magnesium. I have no hidden sugars or starches in any of my food. I drink a gallon of water a day as well.
    Yes, and it happens what is physiologically supposed to take place after a heavy meal; a change from the sympathetic nervous system to the parasympatetic nervous system(PSNS) to digest food! Something similar also happens after sex.

    Parasympathetic nervous system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  4. #4
    Navajo's Avatar
    Navajo is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    52
    YES! I went through it for about a month when I FINALLY went all the way Primal. I was fine when eating smaller breakfasts and lunches but soon after eating a larger dinner, I would crash hard. As in, dizzy, voice slurring a bit, simply couldn't keep my eyes open. I was going to bed around 7:30 - 8:00 pm because I just couldn't function. But would wake up at 5:00 am bright eyed and bushy tailed. Sort of worried the kids for a while though.

    As I said, it only lasted about a month and then I returned to "normal". I can only assume it was something internal adjusting to the digestion of the fat and protein in the absence of the higher carbs I was used to.

  5. #5
    Mikee5's Avatar
    Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
    YES! I went through it for about a month when I FINALLY went all the way Primal. I was fine when eating smaller breakfasts and lunches but soon after eating a larger dinner, I would crash hard. As in, dizzy, voice slurring a bit, simply couldn't keep my eyes open. I was going to bed around 7:30 - 8:00 pm because I just couldn't function. But would wake up at 5:00 am bright eyed and bushy tailed. Sort of worried the kids for a while though.

    As I said, it only lasted about a month and then I returned to "normal". I can only assume it was something internal adjusting to the digestion of the fat and protein in the absence of the higher carbs I was used to.
    What were you eating? Was it very low carb? Can you post some ratios and what you eat now that's different or whether it was just a matter of adaptation of the digestive system, I would really appreciate it thanks
    Last edited by Mikee5; 05-13-2013 at 09:46 AM.

  6. #6
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,914
    Perhaps the Vagus Nerve is somehow involved in what you are experiencing.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagus_nerve
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

  7. #7
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    This is why Ori Hofmekler, the author of the book The Warrior Diet advocates eating your one large meal at the end of the day. Gorbag is largely right to point out that your body undergoes the switch to the parasympathetic nervous system when digesting food. This is the cause of what Ori calls , more colloquially, the signal that a meal means it is time for the body to "rest and digest." You wonder what the cause of the post-lunch fog for a lot of people is?

    So, he recommends not eating during the day to stay alert and awake, but then when you are pretty much done for the day you eat your one large meal which can prepare the body for a good night of sleep. I have certainly found this to be the case!

  8. #8
    Sick Man Talking's Avatar
    Sick Man Talking is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    This is why Ori Hofmekler, the author of the book The Warrior Diet advocates eating your one large meal at the end of the day. Gorbag is largely right to point out that your body undergoes the switch to the parasympathetic nervous system when digesting food. This is the cause of what Ori calls , more colloquially, the signal that a meal means it is time for the body to "rest and digest." You wonder what the cause of the post-lunch fog for a lot of people is?

    So, he recommends not eating during the day to stay alert and awake, but then when you are pretty much done for the day you eat your one large meal which can prepare the body for a good night of sleep. I have certainly found this to be the case!
    I've found that to be the case as well. I get up at around 5am and don't eat my first meal until around 3pm. When I eat that first meal though, I need to slow down and relax.

  9. #9
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Man Talking View Post
    I've found that to be the case as well. I get up at around 5am and don't eat my first meal until around 3pm. When I eat that first meal though, I need to slow down and relax.
    That's the advantage to having one large meal in the evening time after your day is pretty much complete. You can pretty much afford to rest and/or sleep after you eat. But then again, the "warrior diet" isn't for everyone. I recommend not eating the meal until you don't have anything much else to do for the day because you WILL get sleepy.

  10. #10
    Navajo's Avatar
    Navajo is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    52
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    What were you eating? Was it very low carb? Can you post some ratios and what you eat now that's different or whether it was just a matter of adaptation of the digestive system, I would really appreciate it thanks
    Hey Mikee5. I was eating pretty low carbs (usually 30 - 50 grams per day) and didn't really change my diet at all, just "went with it" and came out the other side after about a month or so. It was VERY weird though as I've ALWAYS been a night owl but something changed and it was sort of scarey for the first week or so until I decided that I'd just hang on and see what happened. As for ratios, for example, the overall ratios for the month were 66/25/9 (fat, protein, carb) which worked out to 160g, 129g, 48g average for the month. But I am now one of the "test pilots" for the Steak and Egg challenge so am pretty close to 0 carbs daily and it has not had the same effect. PLENTY of energy and go to bed when I am ready to rather than stumbling down the hall after dinner (HA!). Which is what leads me to believe that my body was working really hard to convert to real fat burning maybe? I just don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •