Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardio Conditioning - How Does My Diet Need To Change? page

Cardio Conditioning - How Does My Diet Need To Change?

Primal Fuel
    I posted a similar question in the nutrition section (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-Physical-Test...) I attempted to pass a law enforcement physical test this morning and failed a 1.5 mile run and am able to retest in 6 weeks. During the next 6 weeks I am aiming to run a few miles each day (which I have never done) to condition myself, and am curious how I need to change my diet to allow for this.

My current diet is 60% fat, 30% protein, 50-75g carbs... I currently get around 2100 calories a day, but that may be too low for that type of aggressive cardio. I am 30yr old and weigh 175lb... Any thoughts!

As a side note, I have been following the stronglifts 5x5 for a while now and may pause that to focus on this condition part.. Any suggestions

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    In my experience you really don't need to worry about changing up your diet for the type of endurance you're looking for. I crossfit twice a week and lift heavy twice a week, my ratios all stay the same I just end up eating more when I'm hungry more. Don't worry about your diet, your body will tell you to eat more as you need it.

For exercise, I don't run at all other than what is included in the regualr crossfit programming, and my 1.5 mile times have steadily improved. I've read articles about a runner training for an ultra marathon using exclusively crossfit and doing well, also doing the same with regular marathons and destroying her old times. Another article about a guy who never ran at all, trained for a half marathon using only crossfit and came in just over 2 hours.

I'm certainly not saying crossfit is the only way to train, but it's been very effective for me, and more importantly, fun. If you are mostly focused on endurance, I would recommend hitting crossfit full on, then give yourself a few days to a week off just before the event, with only some light active recovery work that week. After that, you could add in max effort (heavy lift) days to replace a couple crossfit days a week.

I'm sure there will be plenty of solid advice here, this is what has worked very well for me and I couldn't be happier with it.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    How fast do you need to run the 1.5 miles?

I need to run the 1.5 miles in under 11:34
    As you can see, I have a ways to go!

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kansascitysteve View Post
    I need to run the 1.5 miles in under 11:34
    As you can see, I have a ways to go!
    I missed it, what was your actual time?

15:30 was my actual time... Not sure I can cut 4 minitues out of the run in 6 weeks...??

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member
    Are you doing sprints at all right now?
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Do wind sprints of 50-100 yds a couple of times a week and add 1/2 mile runs at least a 7 minute per mile pace or faster. You need to get your legs used to the turnover of running a tad over 7 mins/mile. Don't bother jogging, you'll just break your legs down. My only cardio work now is from my kettlebell work and wind sprints. I run a 2 mile course a couple of times a month to mix things up, and can do it in under 14 min. Back in the day as a runner, I trained for 10k races, never running more than 3 fast miles (17-18 min) 4 times a week and ran consistently under 40 minutes. If you want to run faster you have to get your legs (and head) used to running at the pace you need to pass the test. Don't mess with your diet, you don't need to for such a short distance. Shoot to run at least 7 mins the first mile and it gives you 4:30 to coast it in the last 1/2 mile. Good luck.

Great ideas... I really appreciate the help! I do not currently do any sprionts, but it sounds like that will help with endurance. I will go tonight and try to get a feel for a 7 minute mile pace and do a couple 100yd sprints. Hopefully if I do this 2-3 times a week, I will be able to make it!

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kansascitysteve View Post
    Great ideas... I really appreciate the help! I do not currently do any sprionts, but it sounds like that will help with endurance. I will go tonight and try to get a feel for a 7 minute mile pace and do a couple 100yd sprints. Hopefully if I do this 2-3 times a week, I will be able to make it!
    Do 40-50 yds first if you're not used to sprinting. You don't want to pull a muscle or strain a tendon. Try doing a quarter at 105 secs. If you're in decent shape I think 6 weeks is doable. If you want to run fast you have to practice running fast. You have to be physically and mentally prepared. You should get plenty of cardio effect from the sprints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast