Thread: Sun exposure and blood pressure link page

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member

Sun exposure and blood pressure link

Primal Fuel
    Found this article interesting.....

Edinburgh University research suggests sunlight helps reduce blood pressure, cutting heart attack and stroke risks and even prolonging life.

UV rays were found to release a compound that lowers blood pressure.

Researchers said more studies would be carried out to determine if it is time to reconsider advice on skin exposure.

Heart disease and stroke linked to high blood pressure are estimated to lead to about 80 times more deaths than those from skin cancer in the UK.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
    Dietary vitamin D supplements alone will not be able to compensate for lack of sunlight”
    End Quote
    Dr Richard Weller

Edinburgh University
    Production of the pressure-reducing compound, nitric oxide, is separate from the body's manufacture of vitamin D, which rises after exposure to sunshine.

Researchers said that until now vitamin D production had been considered the sole benefit of the sun to human health.

During the research, dermatologists studied the blood pressure of 24 volunteers under UV and heat lamps.

In one session, the volunteers were exposed to both UV rays and the heat of the lamps.

In the other, the UV rays were blocked so that only the heat affected the skin.

The results showed that blood pressure dropped significantly for an hour after exposure to UV rays, but not after the heat-only sessions.

Scientists said that this suggested it was the sun's UV rays that brought health benefits.

The volunteers' vitamin D levels remained unaffected in both sessions.

BBC News - Sun's blood pressure benefits 'may outdo cancer risks'

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Beat me to it, was going to post this one.

Yes, very interesting may go some way to explaining the different outcomes seen from Vitamin D suppliments vs actual Sun exposure, wonder what else goes on in the skin?

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Beat me to it, was going to post this one.

Yes, very interesting may go some way to explaining the different outcomes seen from Vitamin D suppliments vs actual Sun exposure, wonder what else goes on in the skin?
    It is the body's largest organ.........

peril is offline Senior Member
    Nitric oxide is easy to supplement - bacon isn't a bad start
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Stephanie Seneff of MIT mentions that sunlight is power source that charges our skin and it is the cholesterol and the sulfur (sulfate) within the skin that acts as a "battery".

Each time the human body receives the proper, appropriate amount of UV rays, we get that "recharge".

However, Dr. Seneff's contention is that without adequate cholesterol or without adequate amount of sulfur, the sun's rays are no longer as beneficial.

She has stated that both the cholesterol and the sulfate acts as anti-oxidants within the skin to shoulder/buffer the sun's rays. And also the oxidation of cholesterol is the first step for Vitamin D3 synthesis.

UVB Rays ----> Skin ---> Cholesterol ---> Sulfate ----> Vitamin D3 Sulfate

So it is not surprising to me of the great possibility for people who have low levels of cholesterol, low dietary intake of sulfur...then the suns rays may in fact be harmful and easily penetrate into deeper layer parts of our skin....leading to possible severe damage and changes to the DNA (Skin Cancer).

For more information, click on the following links.

Fascinating Information from Dr. Stephanie Seneff | Reba's Health Talk

Dr. Stephanie Seneff, D3 and Cholesterol Sulfate - Moving Strongly Forward

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have read quite a bit of Stephanie Seneff's stuff and although I do find it quite interesting, one must remember the majority of it is in the Hypothetical realm, yet to be proven, but I do feel that her work has solid grounding, so even though her conclusions may not be exactly right they are likely in the right vicinity.
    When I saw this study on Sunshine/Nitric Oxide/Blood Pressure, that for me added some confirmation to her hypothesis, needless to say I do spend a good bit of time in the midday sun.