Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Juicing & Magic Bullets page

  1. #1
    EMonger's Avatar
    EMonger is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    56

    Juicing & Magic Bullets

    Primal Fuel
    Actually, I think this particular infomercial called theirs something else. Anyway, the idea is the same: a compact, roughly bullet-shaped blender/juicer to liquify fruits, vegetables, nuts, and who-knows-what-else. I notice that everything they put into some of these was paleo; one recipe they featured consisted of liquifying spinach, banana, berries, almonds, and flax seed. While no caveman ever did such a thing, would this be considered a good, paleo thing to do?

  2. #2
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,785
    I use MB extensively for green and fruit smoothies, gazpachos, mug cakes, tomato sauces, everything. There is a bit of a warning against pre-digested foods, but as long as you eat your pureed and blended stuff slowly, you should be fine. I mean, I even blend a super-protein bottoms-up blend of tuna and egg whites sometimes... heh.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  3. #3
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,810
    If your trying to lose weight don't drink your calories. If you wanna just add a smoothie into your day here and there I don't see anything particularly healthy or unhealthy about it. Personally I'd still have to eat a steak with my smoothie to feel sated.

  4. #4
    Kegas76's Avatar
    Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    263
    Will it blend? That is the question.

  5. #5
    DonJulio's Avatar
    DonJulio is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    If your trying to lose weight don't drink your calories. If you wanna just add a smoothie into your day here and there I don't see anything particularly healthy or unhealthy about it. Personally I'd still have to eat a steak with my smoothie to feel sated.
    This isn't true. Yes, I've read everywhere to not drink your calories but really that applies to SAD drinking soda, Starbucks, etc.

    I have a nutribullet, and I've lost weight using it. I drink one shake a day using it, using nothing but paleo-ingredients (and raw dairy). With the nutribullet, you're still eating the whole food, it doesn't throw anything away...it's not a juicer that concentrates all the sugars.

    That being said, the nutribullet is much better than the magic bullet. It pulverizes anything I put into it including almonds ?which I soak first to get rid of phytate), and kale (one of the toughest leafy greens.) Throw some coconut oil in there and you're golden.

  6. #6
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,810
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJulio View Post
    This isn't true. Yes, I've read everywhere to not drink your calories but really that applies to SAD drinking soda, Starbucks, etc.

    I have a nutribullet, and I've lost weight using it. I drink one shake a day using it, using nothing but paleo-ingredients (and raw dairy). With the nutribullet, you're still eating the whole food, it doesn't throw anything away...it's not a juicer that concentrates all the sugars.

    That being said, the nutribullet is much better than the magic bullet. It pulverizes anything I put into it including almonds ?which I soak first to get rid of phytate), and kale (one of the toughest leafy greens.) Throw some coconut oil in there and you're golden.
    You can state that this is not "true" to you or in your N=1, but that does not mean it is not "true". Just saying. The studies are there to confirm that even if you keep the fiber in your nutriblast smoothie satiety is reduced in comparison to whole foods. So I'll stand by my statement.

    Just for instance:

    "This study demonstrates that consuming different forms of fruit can significantly affect satiety and energy intake at a meal. Consuming apple segments at the start of the meal reduced lunch energy intake compared to consuming the same energy and weight of applesauce or apple juice with or without fiber. " http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2664987/

    No matter really though. I think if your concentrating on adding fat and veggies to it your not gonna have any quantifiable downside. Just a general observation that whole foods seem to have the edge so to speak based on what I've read.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-13-2013 at 09:03 AM.

  7. #7
    DonJulio's Avatar
    DonJulio is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    You can state that this is not "true" to you or in your N=1, but that does not mean it is not "true". Just saying. The studies are there to confirm that even if you keep the fiber in your nutriblast smoothie satiety is reduced in comparison to whole foods. So I'll stand by my statement.

    Just for instance:

    "This study demonstrates that consuming different forms of fruit can significantly affect satiety and energy intake at a meal. Consuming apple segments at the start of the meal reduced lunch energy intake compared to consuming the same energy and weight of applesauce or apple juice with or without fiber. " The effect of fruit in different forms on energy intake and satiety at a meal
    That study is about fruit. And it doesnt apply to my statement. And I never mentioned fiber not a big fan of it myself.

    Fat is the best macro for satiety, right? So I put coconut oil and/or other fats in there. And yes, fruits and veggies and full fat milk. I use raw eggs too. I know other people that have lost fat using nutribullet as well...

    Your statement is still not entirely true, and I still stand 100% by my statement

  8. #8
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,810
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJulio View Post

    Fat is the best macro for satiety, right?
    No.... its protein. But, then you get into the definition of satiety and satiation an so forth. I think gnolls.org did a good set of posts on this.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-13-2013 at 09:20 AM.

  9. #9
    252dlp's Avatar
    252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    425
    The NutriBullet actual DOES blend very well. I bought it mainly because I have gastroparesis...eating raw veggies is problematic, but pureed or liquids will work very well. I've used raw broccoli, spinach, avocado and banana which was not bad at all. It still tastes like raw veggies, so adding fruit improves the taste...I was just trying to limit sweet stuff at the time. Anyway, the NutriBullet completely broke down the raw broccoli. It was one way for me to get in some raw veggies where I wouldn't normally be able to get any in.
    __________
    Donna

    My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html



    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

  10. #10
    DonJulio's Avatar
    DonJulio is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    19
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ^^^ok i got ya, but fat is still good for that full feeling.

    Regardless tho... The point I was making was that a nutribullet type blender can help people lose weight. It's what you put in that matters..."the sum of all parts" so to speak. Throwing raw egg and coconut oil in a shake would be pretty identical to just having them by themselves.

    Of course, if a person doesn't know what they're doing and throw in nothing but high sugar fruit...well that's a different story. Or if they have nothing but shake meals too. I drink one shake per day and its always my post workout shake/mini-meal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •