Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starbucks Grok page

sthubbar is offline Junior Member

Starbucks Grok

Primal Fuel
    The people that work at Wal-mart, McDonald's and Starbucks from management to service person are moral people. They are doing their best to provide the services that consumers want, as evidenced by the consumer's voluntary purchase of their products.

There is a book called "Eat this, not that" which tries to pick items from the most popular places that most Americans visit, such as the ones mentioned above and point out which ones are preferable. (Non-grok and mostly low-fat high carb)

I understand that the ultimate preference may be to each grass fed beef, and I also believe that eating the hamburger, cheese and bacon of a McDouble bacon cheesburger is more grok/healthier than eating the whole sandwich including bun and fries.

I'm really surprised that for a nutrition site that according to my search this is the first one that mentions Starbucks.

Based on my previous posts, I guess I would have to write such a book that tries to find that most grokesque food in the most popular food establishments in the US, if not the world as the general consensus of this forum seems to be that most all popular food establishments are a cesspool of poison and you might be better off visiting a local gas station and buying a pack of smokes to curb your appetite or at least chewing some tobacco.

Am I really the only one here that hangs out with "normal" people and spends time in Starbucks, and *gasp* fast food restaurants and would appreciate some general recommendations of what items are grok preferential in these establishments?
    Last edited by sthubbar; 05-13-2013 at 12:44 AM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The people that work at Wal-mart, McDonald's and Starbucks from management to service person are moral people. They are doing their best to provide the services that consumers want, as evidenced by the consumer's voluntary purchase of their products.
    Not bad. But once you get to the CEOs and Boards of Directors, you're talking a whole other animal and I'm not sure it's a moral one at all. Also, when you look at the ingredient lists of most of their products - especially McD, BoogerKing, etc., and how they advertise them as healthy (which they aren't), though the consumption may be voluntary, I'm not so sure how moral it is to play to the ignorance of the average consumer.

But yes, I agree that anyone wearing orange is most likely just an average Joe trying to make ends meet.

Am I really the only one here that hangs out with "normal" people and spends time in Starbucks, and *gasp* fast food restaurants and would appreciate some general recommendations of what items are grok preferential in these establishments?
    I can only answer for me. I would replace "normal" with "average" because there is nothing abnormal about wanting to eat food that is raised in a healthful way. I've only been trying to be primal for a year, but I haven't eaten at a McDonald's in probably two or three decades. Just knowing that they are in large part responsible for clear cutting rainforest to torture animals for burgers kept me away.

Not sure where you got the idea that hanging out at a coffee house was anti-grok. There's nothing wrong with coffee and/or cream. If hanging out there gets you to eat all manner of pastries, then it's not primal. Socializing is good; coffee is good.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I'm not anti-Starbucks. I know the employees gave excellent benefits and the food, baked treats aside, aren't terrible. I am against the snootiness and holier than thou attitude of Starbucks worshippers. They're just as bad as Apple fanboys.

I'd rather get my cheap coffee fix elsewhere. I know coffee purists would spot upon my choice, but I like 7-11 coffee. Brewed fresh, it's delicious and mild. I don't need anything fancy and I can't distinguish Kona from a standard brew. So there.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    It's not always so easy to find stuff using the search function, but what you're talking about is a pretty frequent topic.

It's even more frequent at r/paleo if you're actually looking for suggestions

e.g.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Paleo/search...restrict_sr=on = D
    Last edited by sjmc; 05-13-2013 at 04:14 AM. Reason: supplemented w/ example

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Starbucks...drink coffee.

But fast food.... given that one of the tenets of primal is avoiding things like soy oil there really isn't anything to eat that is going to be primal. Your best bet is to eat those foods minimally and use common sense. I imagine a grilled chicken salad no dressing and some water is a better choice than burger, fries and a milk shake. But there are no hidden gems on those menus.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

dacec is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sthubbar View Post

most all popular food establishments are a cesspool of poison

Am I really the only one here that hangs out with "normal" people and spends time in Starbucks, and *gasp* fast food restaurants
    I am normal and I avoid chain restaurants like the plague. Nothing wrong with coffee, not sure why you have it lumped in with McDonalds food.
    My preference has very little to do with being primal...it is all about my personal choice to NOT ingest large amounts of processed rancid oils, salt and sugar. I prefer to feed my body real food.

Patti is offline Senior Member
    My fast food experiences since becoming primal have been while traveling or visiting with friends. When given a choice of where to go, I usually ask for someplace where the burgers are grilled rather than fried, or where salads are a choice on the menu. I'm still at the stage where I'm not worried about being 100% primal, just making better and better selections. As I see results, the temptation to be "just like everyone else" is completely disappearing. Feeling fantastic is trumping easy/lazy choices.

Here are some of the meals I've eaten out in the past couple of months.

Local diner: grilled burger with cheddar served on a bed of greens, pickles
    Wendy's: bowl of chili poured over salad
    Macaroni Grill: Spinach salad with grilled chicken, red wine
    Seafood shack: steamed shrimp, melted butter
    Starbucks and other coffee houses: coffee with cream, black coffee, teas; fruit
    Desserts out: chocolate covered strawberry, expresso, bowl of berries, fruit salad

It does come down to a matter of if you eat crap, then you'll feel like crap. Which is why many folks started eating primal/paleo in the first place.

Actually, a book on Grok's favorite choices at restaurants would be lovely!

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I'd rather get my cheap coffee fix elsewhere. I know coffee purists would spot upon my choice, but I like 7-11 coffee. Brewed fresh, it's delicious and mild.
    I'm impressed you can find it fresh. Usually, I am lucky to get it made the same day. For cheap coffee I hit up McD. They have improved their coffee considerably over the years, it is generally fresh, and a large only costs $1. Hell, M-F from 0600-0800 a small coffee is free at our local McD.

As for Starbucks, I don't mind it at all. I just drink black coffee.

When it comes to the fast food folks, it is hard to tell what other crap they are putting in - take KFC grilled chicken for example. Also, I think one of McD's burgers (Angus maybe?) has a bunch of added crap. The other chains probably do as well. Also as Magnolia says the oil is questionable. That said, if push comes to shove I have certainly eaten sh*t fastfood. Sometimes life happens and it is nice (or would be) knowing the least worse options.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Starbucks is nasty, sorry, but it is. The coffee lacks any sort of actual coffee flavor, it seems to be drowned out by the copious amounts of pesticides. If I'm going to pay a premium price for something that has pesticides, I want it to at least taste good. It doesn't.

I can find organic fair trade coffee for a lot cheaper at coffee houses(where the coffee snobs I know hang out anyway) than the gas station quality coffee I get at Starbucks.

Also, find it funny, you mention normal and then ask for "grok like" recommendations. Sounds like you have cognitive dissonance to work out, friend.

There is a difference between moral, and spinning propaganda to cater to the fat, lazy, hormonally manipulated herd of cattle who would probably eat a pile of shit dressed in a bun with "secret" sauce if you called it a Big Mac. It'd probably be the best tasting Big Mac ever too. There is nothing moral about intentionally harming the health of human beings for the sake of money, spinning lies, and destroying the environment and cultural monuments all at the same time.

Nothing against the normal employees at these establishments, they can't help but want to make money in this authoritarian regime.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 05-13-2013 at 06:16 AM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I go to a coffeehouse every Saturday and Sunday morning. Not Starbucks, but a local joint. What's wrong with coffee? When I travel I'll stop at Starbucks. I'll get espresso with whipped cream or an Americano or a coffee with espresso added and put some half-and-half in it, ultrapaseurization be damned. Recently I followed signs from the Interstate to a Starbucks but couldn't actually find the Starbucks and ended up at a local joint. I love trying out the local coffeehouses better anyway. The lady working there had awesome tattoos. Much more interesting than Starbucks.

As for fast-food, I try to convince my traveling partner to try a local restaurant rather than a chain, try to frame it in the spirit of adventure. Went to a Greek restaurant in Baker and he really liked it so now whenever we go through Baker we have to stop at the Greek restaurant. It wasn't all that totally Primal Blueprint-friendly, but I did the best I could and hey that's what the 20% is for, right?

As for eating at fast-food places as a regular thing, you might find this article interesting.
    Michael Pollan on How Reclaiming Cooking Can Save Our Food System, Make Us Healthy & Grow Democracy | Democracy Now!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast