Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Starbucks Grok page 3

KotikBegemotik is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Every day at ten-ish, one of my coworkers and I make the sojourn to the local Starbucks where I get a sugar free vanilla breve latte.

Could I be enjoying a healthier breakfast than this? Probably. Would I have better results if I quit my latte habit? Most likely. Would I miss the welcome break from the screen and the chance to chat with my coworker and the baristas? Most definitely.

I can admit to a SBUX addiction. Nothing wrong with it. Nope.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill

"Keep Calm and Carry On"-British Wartime Poster

"Don't Panic"
    -H2G2

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Try a vente green tea, hot.

M.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sthubbar View Post
    Am I really the only one here that hangs out with "normal" people and spends time in Starbucks, and *gasp* fast food restaurants and would appreciate some general recommendations of what items are grok preferential in these establishments?
    A good test -- would you be better off health-wise to just to go hungry rather than put something on their menu in your mouth?

Starbucks, 95% of their items serve no nutritional purpose. And I'm a Seattle native, love Starbucks, but it's trash.

* Espresso or Americano - yes, just plain caffine.
    * Latte - no, they don't have raw milk and the fat barista will give you a hard time if you ask for a heavy cream latte, many stores don't even have heavy cream, or won't let you have it. No coconut milk.
    * Fancy drinks - no, all sugar bombs, or soy crap, or low-fat-skim crap, no bonus to you from putting that into your body.
    * Baked goods section - NO WAY, a huge array of options you can eat to gain diabetes and obesity -- sugar, carbs, sugar, carbs, sugar...

When I end up there with friends it's dopio con panna.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    It is kind of sad that you can't always find basic, nutritious food. I mean, I look at my dinner the other night. Grilled chicken, asparagus and a sweet potato with butter. It can't be more basic food, easy to prepare, tastes good. Why the hell can't places just not put soy oil on everything???? It's not like we are raw macrobiotic vegans. We eat meats and vegetables.
    Exactly.

In the United States though, there really aren't any mom and pop restaurants left. Just big chains and maybe a few small one-offs, all trying to maximize profit and be famous, NOT trying to provide a simple healthy meal to feed the masses. It's about low quality, large plate size, high flavor, wow factor, and "don't blame us when you get cancer, it was your choice to eat here".

Fast food doesn't need to be total trash -- a person could start a place that served cheapo frozen Costco salmon plus carrots, fried in a pan with grass-fed butter, 500 calories, $5. Why not? But such a place I've never encountered in the states. Asia has cheap and healthy, so it is possible.

phigment is offline Senior Member
    I don't drink coffee so I hasn't really been to a Starbucks. My fast food of choice I'd, Moe's or Chipolte. Both have grass fed need and guacamole.

Grokkette is offline Junior Member
    I think anyone who has gotten this far already knows that fast "food" is generally pretty awful in terms of health, sustainability, morality, etc. So all education on the evils of fast food aside, if I for whatever reason find myself dining out, I simply try to make reasonable paleo/primal choices. You know what's primal and what's not. So just do what you can to make the best choices based on your own priorities. Or not. A couple weeks ago I had a bacon cheeseburger with onion rings and ranch dressing and a diet coke from a small family owned diner. It was a rare treat where I didn't make the slightest attempt to be paleo or primal. And I didn't feel guilty about it one bit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Danimal23 is offline Junior Member
    As a Starbucks employee, I can list what Starbucks serves thats primal;

Espresso
    Black coffee
    Tea
    Heavy Cream (you know, if that's your thing)
    Kerrygold brand butter (you will get strange looks if you ask for it in your coffee, but you can get it free)

Now as far as I know, that's it. No food, that's for sure.

I drink a tall hot coffee in the mornings, and if I need a pick me up, then I have an iced grande unsweetened half black/ half green no water tea. The black tea curbs cortisol, and green gives loads of antioxidants. And I sure as heck stay away from the foods.

As for restaurants, it's not "cool" to like fast food restaurants (even if its for wrong reasons), so find some small coffee shop, bar, or music venue to counter suggest when your friends get some McCravings for a Fourthmeal.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    A good test -- would you be better off health-wise to just to go hungry rather than put something on their menu in your mouth?

Starbucks, 95% of their items serve no nutritional purpose. And I'm a Seattle native, love Starbucks, but it's trash.

* Espresso or Americano - yes, just plain caffine.
    * Latte - no, they don't have raw milk and the fat barista will give you a hard time if you ask for a heavy cream latte, many stores don't even have heavy cream, or won't let you have it. No coconut milk.
    Re: no raw milk. Don't care. Raw milk is illegal in my State and too hard to find anyway and I can't see one or two lattes a week as a complete health destroyer.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    Re: no raw milk. Don't care. Raw milk is illegal in my State and too hard to find anyway and I can't see one or two lattes a week as a complete health destroyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The standard US protocol for flash pasteurization of milk, 71.7 C for 15 seconds, was introduced in 1933, and results in five log (99.999%) or greater reduction in harmful bacteria.
    When milk is heated to put it into a drink, it is brought up at least to pasteurization temperatures and held there for much longer than during dairy pasteurization. It is no longer raw.

Flash pasteurization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    Right, that's why I phrased it "am I actually better off after eating this?".

It may not destroy health, but it doesn't add anything either, so personally I just don't.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123