Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starbucks Grok page 2

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My problem with chains is their obsession with non-perishable uniformity. Do you know where McDonald's purchases their beef and pork or how fresh it is? I don't either, but I imagine it would confirm the worst vegetarian suspicions. If my friends want to hang out there I'll keep them company and maybe have an iced tea but why allocate money or stomach space to the food? Eating is never that urgent IMO.

As for coffee shops, there's... coffee. Everything else is sugar and pastries as far as I've seen. And with a chain like Starbucks I'm always paranoid that their half-and-half will be some proprietary imitation instead.

Of course we can toss the obvious bread and candy and call it primal but I would never expect any health results by doing so. We need consistent quality nutrients.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    The S.O. and I used to frequent Starbucks, but haven't in more than a year now. I didn't even cash in that free whatever on my birthday last month. If it's primal you're after, black coffee or some tea is as close as you are going to get. If coffee's what you seek, you may as well just go to any other chain or local joint.

M.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    sthubbar, you should have seen me with my friends about three weeks ago. Total weekend where I had not one SINGLE meal that was "primal" approved. Why? Because there literally weren't any good options!

I shrugged and went with it. Made the best of it that I could at any rate. I felt like crap later, sure, but these were people I rarely get to see anymore and I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity because I couldn't make all of my meals "primal compliant."

Still, I did do the "warrior diet" thing by eating only once a day, in the evening, which seemed to make the damage from these meals quite a bit less.

But to answer your question, no, you are not the only person who makes choices like this. I've learned to either a) do a big IF while my friends are eating the crap, or b) if there's really no choice (and sometimes there's not due to social standards), just shrug and make the best of it. You can't be a perfectionist all the time, this is why we have the 80/20 rule (and IFing such as warrior diet which is just awesome for damage control).

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I am against the snootiness and holier than thou attitude of Starbucks worshippers.
    In my experience (living in a pretty liberal city) this sort of attitude generally comes from those who do NOT care for Starbucks...

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Because there literally weren't any good options!
    It is kind of sad that you can't always find basic, nutritious food. I mean, I look at my dinner the other night. Grilled chicken, asparagus and a sweet potato with butter. It can't be more basic food, easy to prepare, tastes good. Why the hell can't places just not put soy oil on everything???? It's not like we are raw macrobiotic vegans. We eat meats and vegetables.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    The S.O. and I used to frequent Starbucks, but haven't in more than a year now. I didn't even cash in that free whatever on my birthday last month. If it's primal you're after, black coffee or some tea is as close as you are going to get. If coffee's what you seek, you may as well just go to any other chain or local joint.

M.
    I agree. I live in an area where I have some AMAZING coffee joints that serve up their single origin, organic espressos and beans anyway, 100x better than anything Starbucks could offer. I get it black, always ask for it as hot as they can manage. No need for me to frequent the 'bucks even though there are a ton right near me.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    I frequent Starbuck's, but usually just get an Americano with heavy whipping cream. If I'm wanting a non-primal sweet, I'll get it with sugar free syrup. If I want to go completely wild I'll get it with regular syrup or sugar, lol.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

diene is offline Senior Member
    Look, I have nothing against Starbucks or MacDonald's, really. I go to Starbucks from time to time. I don't really go to MacDonald's anymore, but I used to. I am a big fan of the Filet-O-Fish--eating one fills me with orgasmic bliss. It really does, as disgusting as it sounds. But I choose not to eat those things anymore.

I don't think that they are immoral--they respond to consumer demands, and consumers demand these unhealthy things. I just told you that the Filet-O-Fish fills me with orgasmic bliss; now, if all I cared about was how the food tasted, I'd eat it all the time. I think that people have to take responsibility for their bad choices. The information is out there, and it's not that hard to find/access. People choose to ignore it, and you can't blame businesses for catering to people's poor choices.

I don't know. Obviously, if you had to eat at MacDonald's, some items would be better choices than others. (The Filet-O-Fish, unfortunately, would not really be a good choice at all.) But I think, if you had to eat out, there are better places to eat than MacDonald's. Even among fast food restaurants, MacDonald's is probably not the best choice from a primal perspective.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    There is a Starbucks at one of the grocery stores where I shop. I occasionally get a vanilla latte - for some reason, I just like the taste of their vanilla, or a regular latte there especially if I go there after a run in the local park. They are my recovery drinks. I occasionally get an Americano or an iced coffee there, too. We really don't have any local coffee shops near where I live other than Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. I prefer the Starbucks.

I don't like any of their dark roast coffees; however, I don't care for dark roast anyway. I do like their Veranda blonde blend. I get my beans from Coffeeam.com. They have a coffee of the month club where you get 2 lbs of beans once a month. It's usually a dark roast and a medium/light roast. I buy the Starbucks blonde to mix with the dark roast to lighten it up.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Upside to Starbucks: Variety in beverage. That's probably one of their biggest sources of success. That, and having sold themselves as a Status Symbol in the 90's.

That said, at my local one there are a lot of obviously broke people who frequent the place. And my S.O. and I were most regular when we were most broke.

Anyways, the point about variety is that if I go to Dunkin' or Doughnut Connection (closest coffee place to me and right on the bike ride to work), my coffee choices are pretty limited. What's "standard" coffee in the U.S., anyways? Columbia roast?

M.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast