Thread: Steroids, Tennis and Carb Intake page

Steroids, Tennis and Carb Intake

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I wasn't sure if I should put this in fitness or nutrition because this kind of encompasses both. I'm 5'1 and am about 115 lbs. I definitely want to lose some fat and gain muscle, but I'm a little confused as to what to do right now. About 2 weeks ago, my doctor put me on Danazol (a steroid) for endometriosis. He told me that if I didnt work out lots, I would gain weight, whereas if I worked out lots, I'd gain muscle (yay!). Since its finally nice weather, I've been getting out and playing tennis, usually about 1-2 hours each time I go, and I play almost every day. I've been trying to do some body weight exercises at home, but tennis is mainly my form of exercise. Reading Mark's info on the whole carb and ketosis thing, I've been trying to stay around 80 or less carbs a day, but with exercising lots, I thought I should increase my carb intake a little bit. Is that the right thing to do, or will that impact the whole steroid aspect of all this to gain muscle? Sorry if this isn't very clear.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Endometriosis! That's not good.

As for the 'roids, I have been on prescription versions in the past for being infinitely short. I got stronger, but also fat, because it coincided with grade-school years in which homework and other obligation loads increased and I couldn't go do energetic things. Tennis, so long as you're committing yourself athletically, should do it. Take advantage of this period and get some good muscle building exercises in. Push-ups and weight lifting should certainly help tennis.

M.

With how much tennis I'm playing, will I need to increase my carb content, or will that make me gain more fat rather than muscle because of the steroids?

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    From what I've been able to gather, 80g is in the weight loss zone; 100-150g is the maintenance zone, with 100g/day extra for each hour of all out exercise. That's the basic template, anyways. That in mind, try shooting for 100-150g, and if that leaves you lagging try dietary fat.

M.