Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the difference between a sprint and a workout? page

Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member

Question What's the difference between a sprint and a workout?

Primal Fuel
    A lot of easy cardio at 55-75% is healthy. 5-10 minutes of sprinting at 95-100% is healthy.

However, how much and of what intensity should a workout be? As far as I've read, these workouts are somewhat intense and last 10-45 minutes.

But, isn't that too (or not enough) intense and too long? Isn't that some form of high intensity dangerous cardio?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You can't do 5-10 minutes of sprinting at 95-100%. If you can do 5-10 minutes at whatever speed you're at, you're not really sprinting. A true sprint is what will make you feel like you're going to drop in 50-100 yards. At that point you have to stop and rest or walk until you recover.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You can't do 5-10 minutes of sprinting at 95-100%. If you can do 5-10 minutes at whatever speed you're at, you're not really sprinting. A true sprint is what will make you feel like you're going to drop in 50-100 yards. At that point you have to stop and rest or walk until you recover.
    +1

You can do 55-75% all day if you have the energy and if you are enjoying it.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Clearly they didnt mean 5-10 min of straight sprinting, they mean a 5-10 min sprint workout. Not sure why you would read that otherwise.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    A lot of easy cardio at 55-75% is healthy. 5-10 minutes of sprinting at 95-100% is healthy.

But, isn't that too (or not enough) intense and too long? Isn't that some form of high intensity dangerous cardio?
    Quote Originally Posted by codered5 View Post
    Clearly they didnt mean 5-10 min of straight sprinting, they mean a 5-10 min sprint workout. Not sure why you would read that otherwise.
    While the original poster might mean something different from what he wrote, it isn't clear that he does. Or if so, what.

People ask about unreasonably extended sprints all the time.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 05-12-2013 at 07:52 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post

However, how much and of what intensity should a workout be? As far as I've read, these workouts are somewhat intense and last 10-45 minutes.

45 minutes of sprints would probably be too much. And sprinting every day is too much. Mark recommends every 7 to 10 days and doing something like 8 sprints with some rest in between. His sprints take me about 15 minutes. Alternatively you could try Tabata sprints which take you only 4 minutes to do and are suggested to be done something like twice a week. Four minutes of Tabata sprints IS a workout and it sucks royally. Try it sometime and you'll see how much it sucks.

Brief high heart-rate sprints are good for the heart. It's that marathon training that causes the enlargement of the heart that is not healthy. Think of it this way: low weight, high reps causes muscle hypertrophy while high weight, low reps builds strength. Your heart is a muscle. Marathon training is the low eight, high reps and sprinting is the high weight, low reps.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Pillow is offline Member
    Sprints are awesome! Combine a few more leg exercises on an empty field once / twice a week and you are golden.

I play a lot of soccer and sprints brought my game up a notch alone!

Add in some jump squats and/or burpies and destroy yourself.

I do not know why sprints were such a big secret for so long! It took me away from the old constant cardio cycle as well.

After 6 moths of primal living I can now play 70 (a full adult game) minutes of soccer competitively. Before on pure cardio training I could only go 15 minutes without feeling tired... I'm 39 and can still keep up with these 20 something players ... Granted I still need Sunday for recovery of bruises.
    Full on Primal family and loving it!!!
    This is going to be a big year for vitamins and minerals!

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I have switched my sprinting up to incorporare agility training and really enjoying it as the sports I play require agility and explosive speed.

I now do 3-4 sets of sprinting to retrieve 4 tennis balls in a square and putting them in a bucket in the middle (I go two times round)

My fastest time at the moment is 29.3 and I am determined to get this under 28 but boy does it gas you out. You need 4-5 minutes of recovery after each set.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Pillow is offline Member
    I now do 3-4 sets of sprinting to retrieve 4 tennis balls in a square and putting them in a bucket in the middle (I go two times round)
    Very nice drill! I will have to try it myself and with the young soccer players I coach.
    Full on Primal family and loving it!!!
    This is going to be a big year for vitamins and minerals!

Erik W is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Think of it this way: low weight, high reps causes muscle hypertrophy while high weight, low reps builds strength.
    Hmm, I'm sure I should know this one. But I am not afraid to ask. What is hypertrophy? I looked it up on Wikipedia now, but I still don't understand how that differs from "getting stronger muscles".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast