Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: New To Paleo. Got some questions :)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    17

    New To Paleo. Got some questions :)

    Hey Guys, like I said I'm new to this Paleo Diet and I have I few questions. I've been eating meat and veggies for about a month now, and I'm not experiencing that "Effortless weight loss, boundless energy" thing talked about in the primal blueprint. I have no dairy of any kind in my diet except for butter that I cook with. I'm not all that hungry however, so I eat when I am. I find it hard to get out of bed in the morning, but once I do a feel good and I'm ready for the day within 30 mins. I dropped 8 lbs quick, but now I can't get my weight to drop at all for weeks now. I'm also into week 4 of P90X. I'm thinking that I must be eating to much fruit/veggies? I have to pack my lunches so apples, bananas, carrots and cucumbers are pretty easy. For dinner, it's usually a larger portion of meat and a spinach salad. I am seeing muscle gains and development gains, but it's happening slowing. Is this the way it's supposed to go? I have cut out ALL grains including rice (which is hard because I love Thai food). I also have some questions about some foods and would like some feedback.

    1) Bread made with Almond Flour (paleo bread)
    2) Sea salt. Is this OK to add to food?
    3) Olives Black or Green are they Paleo?
    4) Pasta. I know wheat and rice noddles are out but what about egg noddles? Are they to processed?

    I love this lifestyle but I just want to drop BF faster I guess. Thanks in advance!

    ~Rookie

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,426
    You fall within the normal range. Nothing wrong with your progress. Hang in there.

    1. Most people don't eat this because you can end up eating way too many almonds, among other things. Avoid mass quantities of nuts.
    2. Yes.
    3. I think so. I know some are processed with lye.
    4. Egg noodles are made from wheat. If you want to eat pasta and you are allowing yourself rice, you can eat rice noodles.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You fall within the normal range. Nothing wrong with your progress. Hang in there.

    1. Most people don't eat this because you can end up eating way too many almonds, among other things. Avoid mass quantities of nuts.
    2. Yes.
    3. I think so. I know some are processed with lye.
    4. Egg noodles are made from wheat. If you want to eat pasta and you are allowing yourself rice, you can eat rice noodles.
    Thanks for the detailed feedback!
    1) OK, but if this is the only almond that I eat it shouldn't be to bad. Right? Just trying to make a meat shanwich to pack for lunch.
    2) Cool!
    3) I'll watch for the lye
    4) But rice is a grain. Right? therefore not Paleo. Or is rice a gray area??

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie44 View Post
    Thanks for the detailed feedback!
    1) OK, but if this is the only almond that I eat it shouldn't be to bad. Right? Just trying to make a meat shanwich to pack for lunch.
    2) Cool!
    3) I'll watch for the lye
    4) But rice is a grain. Right? therefore not Paleo. Or is rice a gray area??
    I'm still new myself, but from what I understand rice is pretty harmless, though a higher carb food.
    Welcome!
    *Sara*

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,301
    Welcome!

    Try cutting back on fruit.

    Are you counting carbs? You should aim for 50-100 grams/day. Maybe the high end of that if you are doing P90X.

    Give away your scales or hide them. Go by how your clothes fit and how you feel.

    A month isn't long enough to expect boundless energy. Yes, some people do get it right off. Not all.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

    My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Welcome!

    Try cutting back on fruit.

    Are you counting carbs? You should aim for 50-100 grams/day. Maybe the high end of that if you are doing P90X.

    Give away your scales or hide them. Go by how your clothes fit and how you feel.

    A month isn't long enough to expect boundless energy. Yes, some people do get it right off. Not all.
    I thought so, to many carbs in the fruit? I haven't really gotten to the point of counting grams of anything. I read in the blueprint that you could eat as much as you wanted on the right foods.

    Funny you should say " pitch the scale" I saw a friend today and she said that my clothes were hanging off me and my jeans drag on the ground. But I weight the same? ....... AWESOME!

    Good point. A month probably isn't long enough. Thanks for the support.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie44 View Post

    Funny you should say " pitch the scale" I saw a friend today and she said that my clothes were hanging off me and my jeans drag on the ground. But I weight the same? ....... AWESOME!

    Good point. A month probably isn't long enough. Thanks for the support.
    If your pants are looser but you're the same weight, it means you're loosing body fat and gaining muscle ( a good thing) - your weight may even go up whilst you look trimmer and pants falling down ( more fat lost and even more muscle gained - even better).

    A 'cup' of muscle is twice the weight as a 'cup' of fat - so you can look smaller ( but more muscled) and be the same weight.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    If your pants are looser but you're the same weight, it means you're loosing body fat and gaining muscle ( a good thing) - your weight may even go up whilst you look trimmer and pants falling down ( more fat lost and even more muscle gained - even better).

    A 'cup' of muscle is twice the weight as a 'cup' of fat - so you can look smaller ( but more muscled) and be the same weight.
    LOVE IT!! Hope this continues.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    International Citizen
    Posts
    2,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie44 View Post
    I haven't really gotten to the point of counting grams of anything. I read in the blueprint that you could eat as much as you wanted on the right foods.
    Yes, but disagree this is a good plan for newbies who want to lose fat ASAP and learn how their body works.

    Count everything to the gram at first and be aware how many grams of carbs and protein you are eating. Do 100% not 80/20 rule. Keep carbs low, something like 30 to 80 absolute max, all from vegi, zero fruit, zero sugar. Drop calories somewhere below maintenance level.

    You'll lose fat.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Yes, but disagree this is a good plan for newbies who want to lose fat ASAP and learn how their body works.

    Count everything to the gram at first and be aware how many grams of carbs and protein you are eating. Do 100% not 80/20 rule. Keep carbs low, something like 30 to 80 absolute max, all from vegi, zero fruit, zero sugar. Drop calories somewhere below maintenance level.



    You'll lose fat.
    This is getting complicated....... But, I'll do it. I love my morning coffee as well and I read on this forum that people are saying heavy cream is OK. Can I get some views on that? I've cut out cream in my coffee and wouldn't mine putting it back in. But I don't have to. I can't drink it black tho. So, I sweeten with Organic Agave'. Thoughts?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •