Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New To Paleo. Got some questions :) page

Rookie44 is offline Junior Member

New To Paleo. Got some questions :)

Primal Fuel
    Hey Guys, like I said I'm new to this Paleo Diet and I have I few questions. I've been eating meat and veggies for about a month now, and I'm not experiencing that "Effortless weight loss, boundless energy" thing talked about in the primal blueprint. I have no dairy of any kind in my diet except for butter that I cook with. I'm not all that hungry however, so I eat when I am. I find it hard to get out of bed in the morning, but once I do a feel good and I'm ready for the day within 30 mins. I dropped 8 lbs quick, but now I can't get my weight to drop at all for weeks now. I'm also into week 4 of P90X. I'm thinking that I must be eating to much fruit/veggies? I have to pack my lunches so apples, bananas, carrots and cucumbers are pretty easy. For dinner, it's usually a larger portion of meat and a spinach salad. I am seeing muscle gains and development gains, but it's happening slowing. Is this the way it's supposed to go? I have cut out ALL grains including rice (which is hard because I love Thai food). I also have some questions about some foods and would like some feedback.

1) Bread made with Almond Flour (paleo bread)
    2) Sea salt. Is this OK to add to food?
    3) Olives Black or Green are they Paleo?
    4) Pasta. I know wheat and rice noddles are out but what about egg noddles? Are they to processed?

I love this lifestyle but I just want to drop BF faster I guess. Thanks in advance!

~Rookie

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You fall within the normal range. Nothing wrong with your progress. Hang in there.

1. Most people don't eat this because you can end up eating way too many almonds, among other things. Avoid mass quantities of nuts.
    2. Yes.
    3. I think so. I know some are processed with lye.
    4. Egg noodles are made from wheat. If you want to eat pasta and you are allowing yourself rice, you can eat rice noodles.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

Try cutting back on fruit.

Are you counting carbs? You should aim for 50-100 grams/day. Maybe the high end of that if you are doing P90X.

Give away your scales or hide them. Go by how your clothes fit and how you feel.

A month isn't long enough to expect boundless energy. Yes, some people do get it right off. Not all.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    You may be overtraining with P90x and that's why you aren't experiencing extra energy.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You fall within the normal range. Nothing wrong with your progress. Hang in there.

1. Most people don't eat this because you can end up eating way too many almonds, among other things. Avoid mass quantities of nuts.
    2. Yes.
    3. I think so. I know some are processed with lye.
    4. Egg noodles are made from wheat. If you want to eat pasta and you are allowing yourself rice, you can eat rice noodles.
    Thanks for the detailed feedback!
    1) OK, but if this is the only almond that I eat it shouldn't be to bad. Right? Just trying to make a meat shanwich to pack for lunch.
    2) Cool!
    3) I'll watch for the lye
    4) But rice is a grain. Right? therefore not Paleo. Or is rice a gray area??

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie44 View Post
    Thanks for the detailed feedback!
    1) OK, but if this is the only almond that I eat it shouldn't be to bad. Right? Just trying to make a meat shanwich to pack for lunch.
    2) Cool!
    3) I'll watch for the lye
    4) But rice is a grain. Right? therefore not Paleo. Or is rice a gray area??
    I'm still new myself, but from what I understand rice is pretty harmless, though a higher carb food.
    Welcome!
    *~Sara~*

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Welcome!

Try cutting back on fruit.

Are you counting carbs? You should aim for 50-100 grams/day. Maybe the high end of that if you are doing P90X.

Give away your scales or hide them. Go by how your clothes fit and how you feel.

A month isn't long enough to expect boundless energy. Yes, some people do get it right off. Not all.
    I thought so, to many carbs in the fruit? I haven't really gotten to the point of counting grams of anything. I read in the blueprint that you could eat as much as you wanted on the right foods.

Funny you should say " pitch the scale" I saw a friend today and she said that my clothes were hanging off me and my jeans drag on the ground. But I weight the same? ....... AWESOME!

Good point. A month probably isn't long enough. Thanks for the support.

Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    You may be overtraining with P90x and that's why you aren't experiencing extra energy.
    Yeah, P90X is kicking my arse! Not much of a chance to recover on this program.

I do want to state that I sleep like a ROCK. As soon as my head hits the pillow I'm out! I have no trouble with 20/45min power naps is the mid afternoon either. Feels great if I can take them.

What about potatoes? Aren't they way to high in Carbs? I don't hear much focus on water intake either. What's the deal with that? Typical 8/8oz glasses a day? Or should I try and drink a gallon a day like in my old body building days?

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie44 View Post
    Yeah, P90X is kicking my arse! Not much of a chance to recover on this program.
    My dh and I did it for a couple months last year and it was brutal. If you ever want an alternative, look into Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym strength training program. It's only three days a week for 30 minutes a time, but it gives you the results.
    *~Sara~*

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast