Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New To Paleo. Got some questions :) page 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If you want noodles, add shirataki noodles, the ones that are only konjak root, not tofu. You can indulge in them as much as you want. A cup of them is like 20 cals and 4 g of fibre & taste just like rice noodles.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    OK, first off the "effortless weightloss" is a joke.

If your clothes are hanging off you with no scale change, congrats, you are losing fat while gaining muscle which is the actual goal. If that's the case, what you are doing is working.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Also.... I dunno, I think paleo breads etc. aren't the worst way to add some calories. I don't eat them because I don't have the ability to eat a lot of calories and still lose weight. Same with rice.

Mostly you just need to experiment and see what works for you. From your stats... I'd anticipate that you are headed to the "harder to lose" fat part of body weight. (maybe not for guys...). You may really need to clean up your diet at some point. I know for me, my diet is constantly cycling between strict and notsostrict. I weigh myself every day. The problem is that when you change up your workout, the scale lies. I started Crossfit a month or so ago. No weightloss. I was mad until I put on a dress that fit great in March and it was way too big through the torso yesterday. OK... inches off the waist=fat loss.

On the energy, honestly, you sound like you work hard and I'd expect to be tired at the end of a day doing construction and P90X. If you think it might be food related and not activity related, try a Whole30 where you cut out all dairy, grains, sugar etc.

If I were you, I'd say you were on the right track, I'd try and find some alternatives to paleo bread for your lunch and I'd keep at it and reassess in a couple of months. And I'd make my assessment looking at myself naked in a mirror, maybe step on the scale out of curiosity.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie44 View Post
    I haven't really gotten to the point of counting grams of anything. I read in the blueprint that you could eat as much as you wanted on the right foods.
    Yes, but disagree this is a good plan for newbies who want to lose fat ASAP and learn how their body works.

Count everything to the gram at first and be aware how many grams of carbs and protein you are eating. Do 100% not 80/20 rule. Keep carbs low, something like 30 to 80 absolute max, all from vegi, zero fruit, zero sugar. Drop calories somewhere below maintenance level.

You'll lose fat.

Rookie44 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Yes, but disagree this is a good plan for newbies who want to lose fat ASAP and learn how their body works.

Count everything to the gram at first and be aware how many grams of carbs and protein you are eating. Do 100% not 80/20 rule. Keep carbs low, something like 30 to 80 absolute max, all from vegi, zero fruit, zero sugar. Drop calories somewhere below maintenance level.

You'll lose fat.
    This is getting complicated....... But, I'll do it. I love my morning coffee as well and I read on this forum that people are saying heavy cream is OK. Can I get some views on that? I've cut out cream in my coffee and wouldn't mine putting it back in. But I don't have to. I can't drink it black tho. So, I sweeten with Organic Agave'. Thoughts?

Danimal23 is offline Junior Member
    I use an app called "Paleo Central" by Nerd Fitness. It costs a couple bucks, but you can type in any food, and you get a yes/no/ gray area for every food you type in.

Like if you type in "Brown Rice" you get a thumbs down, and a brief explanation that while it is a grain, there are worse grains you could eat.

It has been helpful to me.

Rookie44 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal23 View Post
    I use an app called "Paleo Central" by Nerd Fitness. It costs a couple bucks, but you can type in any food, and you get a yes/no/ gray area for every food you type in.

Like if you type in "Brown Rice" you get a thumbs down, and a brief explanation that while it is a grain, there are worse grains you could eat.

It has been helpful to me.
    Nice tip! I'll look for it in my app store. Thanks!

pollo_la is offline Member
    Hi there, I'm pretty new as well, but I'll share a couple thoughts.

First, with the coffee - I love a cup or two in the morning too. :-) Heavy creamer is absolutely fine if you don't have a problem with dairy. I use to drink coffee with that "fake" flavored creamer stuff, but I have switched to organic half in half (half whole milk and half cream is all it says on the label, nothing else in there) and a pinch of sugar. I would absolutely stay away from Agave though. Agave is (not really sure how to state this) more sugar dense then even sugar, so if will spike your insulin way higher then you want. Natural does not always mean good, and that is the case for Agave. You are better off with cream and a pinch or two of sugar if you still want a little sweetness.

Paleo bread - I make all different kinds of bread and muffins out of almond meal and coconut flour. We don't have weight issues in our house though, so we can handle a little bit more carbs (lots of growing kids and I'm pregnant). I have found a couple of excellent bread recipes what use mostly almond flour, some flax seed, and then just a couple tablespoons of honey to sweeten it. I would say there is nothing wrong with a slice of that or even two, slathered in butter each day. That's just my preference though. If you are trying to lose weight, then maybe just a slice here and there as a treat.

For lunch I make my husband a "wrap" that he LOVES in place of a sandwich. Very easy to do...

1 Tablespoon coconut oil
    1 Tablespoon water
    1 egg
    Blend/beat all of that together
    Add 3 Tablespoons of flaxseed with a pinch of baking powder in it.
    stir it all together and then pour it out and smooth it around in a greased pie plate (glass one).
    Put it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on high until set.
    After it cools (about 5-10 minutes), take a spatula and flip it out onto a plate to cool another minute or two.
    And there you have it, a wrap!

You can then put whatever you want on it. I put a "Real" mayo on it, some mustard. Then a little cheese, tomato, and a couple romaine lettuce leaves. Finally I add a little leftover cooked chicken. Roll it up as best I can and wrap in foil and it's all set for my husband to have for lunch. He typically eats it in his truck in between jobs (he installs internet). He loves them.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie44 View Post
    This is getting complicated....... But, I'll do it. I love my morning coffee as well and I read on this forum that people are saying heavy cream is OK. Can I get some views on that? I've cut out cream in my coffee and wouldn't mine putting it back in. But I don't have to. I can't drink it black tho. So, I sweeten with Organic Agave'. Thoughts?
    cream should be ok if you tolerate dairy well. i'd stay away from agave. maybe go for raw honey, or even just plain white sugar. if you're eating clean, a tsp or 2 of sugar in your morning coffee certainly isn't the end of the world. i'm pretty sure that mark has even said that he puts sugar in his coffee every morning
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

EMonger is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by pollo_la View Post
    For lunch I make my husband a "wrap" that he LOVES in place of a sandwich. Very easy to do...

1 Tablespoon coconut oil
    1 Tablespoon water
    1 egg
    Blend/beat all of that together
    Add 3 Tablespoons of flaxseed with a pinch of baking powder in it.
    stir it all together and then pour it out and smooth it around in a greased pie plate (glass one).
    Put it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on high until set.
    After it cools (about 5-10 minutes), take a spatula and flip it out onto a plate to cool another minute or two.
    And there you have it, a wrap!
    For coconut oil, you use liquid? I have a solid that liquifies on the stove.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast