Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New To Paleo. Got some questions :) page 2

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The simplest form of paleo is basically what you are doing: meat, eggs, veggies, and fruit.

You add to that how you want to exercise: P90X is your preferred, then do it.

You make sure you get enough sleep.

And then the rest is up to you. Intermittent fasting, whether or not you want to make "paleo breads/treats" (we don't), whether or not you want to include potatoes (sweet or white) or even some grains (like rice). You decide whether or not dairy (in the form of butter or dairy in general) is ok. You decide how you want your macronutrients to look.

There are lots of ways of doing things, and the results that you want will vary based on what you want, your predisposition (start point in terms of overall health, genetics/body type, etc), and what you do to get there (what works for you specifically).

That takes tinkering. But, you know what? I say stick with one thing for at least a year, see how it does for you, and then adapt going forward.

Rookie44 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks mom23kids! I will checkout that book. I'm getting better at the workouts and I'm going to stick it out. Mark Session designed the diet plan for P90X??? Is that true? It doesn't really look Paleo to me. I'll have to look at it closer I guess.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie44 View Post

Funny you should say " pitch the scale" I saw a friend today and she said that my clothes were hanging off me and my jeans drag on the ground. But I weight the same? ....... AWESOME!

Good point. A month probably isn't long enough. Thanks for the support.
    If your pants are looser but you're the same weight, it means you're loosing body fat and gaining muscle ( a good thing) - your weight may even go up whilst you look trimmer and pants falling down ( more fat lost and even more muscle gained - even better).

A 'cup' of muscle is twice the weight as a 'cup' of fat - so you can look smaller ( but more muscled) and be the same weight.

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    If your pants are looser but you're the same weight, it means you're loosing body fat and gaining muscle ( a good thing) - your weight may even go up whilst you look trimmer and pants falling down ( more fat lost and even more muscle gained - even better).

A 'cup' of muscle is twice the weight as a 'cup' of fat - so you can look smaller ( but more muscled) and be the same weight.
    LOVE IT!! Hope this continues.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    how about some stats about yourself? sex/age/height/weight/approx bodyfat/goals/activity level? then we could give you some pointers that would help you, instead of generic canned responses
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    how about some stats about yourself? sex/age/height/weight/approx bodyfat/goals/activity level? then we could give you some pointers that would help you, instead of generic canned responses
    OK, I am a 44 year old Male 5'10" tall I weight 201lbs, pretty muscled build, big legs, kinda thick chest, arms about 17/18" and according to my BF scale about 20%. Activity level; I would consider myself pretty active. I own a construct company and I work with the guys. Right now we are framing so that's a very physical part. I do have my days in the office as well. I would like to see myself around the 12% BF range. But I want to keep/build my muscle. Let's hear it!!

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie44 View Post
    OK, I am a 44 year old Male 5'10" tall I weight 201lbs, pretty muscled build, big legs, kinda thick chest, arms about 17/18" and according to my BF scale about 20%. Activity level; I would consider myself pretty active. I own a construct company and I work with the guys. Right now we are framing so that's a very physical part. I do have my days in the office as well. I would like to see myself around the 12% BF range. But I want to keep/build my muscle. Let's hear it!!
    sounds like you're really active between work and working out. maybe even too active. if your looking for some serious muscle and strength development, i'd suggest an actual weight training plan like starting strength, WSFSB, etc. P90x is great for what it is, but you won't make any serious gains with that type of training.

as for diet, you may actually be undereating for what you're doing. and remember, this isn't a low carb diet, so fruit/potatoes, etc are not the enemy. particularly if you are relatively fit and active. the other option is that you could be overeating. paleo isn't a free pass to stuff your face and still think that you'll lose fat. calories do and always will matter. i'm not suggesting that you are stuffing your face, simply saying that even a few hundred extra calories a day can and will stop your weight loss.

a paleo diet will most certainly improve your overall health. and it will get you darn close to where you want to be physically. but a lot of us want to go beyond that and look great too. once you get to that level (and it sounds like you're pretty close) minor tweaks need to be made to drop those last few vanity lbs. calorie cycling. carb cycling. changes to workout plans.

i'd say rice and rice noodles are ok. i eat rice almost every day. paleo bread is not. stay away from "products" in general, whether or not they say "paleo" on the package
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    Mark says there is a scale of harmfulness of grains. Wheat, rye, barley, etc. have lots of junk to mess up your system. They are the worst.

At the other end of the scale, white rice is just a bunch of carbs. It is fine when you need lots of carbs, e.g. if you are a lumberjack.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Mark says there is a scale of harmfulness of grains. Wheat, rye, barley, etc. have lots of junk to mess up your system. They are the worst.

At the other end of the scale, white rice is just a bunch of carbs. It is fine when you need lots of carbs, e.g. if you are a lumberjack.
    Haha! OK, Rice and or Rice noodles would be an occasional treat. I pack my lunches everyday so I'm trying to figure out how to make a Paleo approved sandwich. Maybe Bread made with Coconut flour? The Almond Flour stuff I tried was simply awful! I don't have to have a sandwich but it just makes things easier and I like them. What about Coffee, Black with Agave' sweetener? That should be fine. Right? I've cut down from sweeten creamer to milk to now Black with Agave'. Thoughts? I also enjoy a drink a couple times a week. I drink Dirty Martini's. Straight Vodka with three Olives and olive juice. I know, I know..... Alcohol is bad but this drink has to be as pure as you can get. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    sounds like you're really active between work and working out. maybe even too active. if your looking for some serious muscle and strength development, i'd suggest an actual weight training plan like starting strength, WSFSB, etc. P90x is great for what it is, but you won't make any serious gains with that type of training.

as for diet, you may actually be undereating for what you're doing. and remember, this isn't a low carb diet, so fruit/potatoes, etc are not the enemy. particularly if you are relatively fit and active. the other option is that you could be overeating. paleo isn't a free pass to stuff your face and still think that you'll lose fat. calories do and always will matter. i'm not suggesting that you are stuffing your face, simply saying that even a few hundred extra calories a day can and will stop your weight loss.

a paleo diet will most certainly improve your overall health. and it will get you darn close to where you want to be physically. but a lot of us want to go beyond that and look great too. once you get to that level (and it sounds like you're pretty close) minor tweaks need to be made to drop those last few vanity lbs. calorie cycling. carb cycling. changes to workout plans.

i'd say rice and rice noodles are ok. i eat rice almost every day. paleo bread is not. stay away from "products" in general, whether or not they say "paleo" on the package
    Thanks Bud, I'm on it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast