Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help me figure out macros? page

mom23kids is offline Senior Member

Please help me figure out macros?

I've never tracked my macros, but think I need to start since I'm losing weight even though I'm supposed to be in maintenance. I have no idea how to do this though How do I figure out what percentages to go by?

My info-
    34 year old female, 5 ft. 6 in
    I'm coming off of activley trying to lose weight (lost the weight doing ADF with SAD)
    Started transitioning to primal a few weeks ago and that started the weight loss again. Currently at 124lbs and would actually like to be in the 125-127 range.

Exercise-walking 10 miles a week (5 days a week/2 miles a time), with some sprinting thrown in once a week for a few seconds-slowly working on doing longer times

Also doing Mark Lauren's Body By You strength training program- 3 times a week/30 minutes a time

Thanks!
    *~Sara~*

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    In theory how it works is you record your food, look up the composition, do lots of calculations, and tally everything up at the end of the day.

The only practical way for a person to do this is to go to an online weight loss or fitness website where you enter your food and it does all the calculations for you. A lot of people use myfitnesspal.com. There are lots of free ones out there.

You end up with total calories, grams of protein, carbs, and fat, and macro ratios.

My feeling is you decide how many grams of protein you want to eat, then distribute your energy (carb/fat) calories as you wish.

It works best if you start by calculating what you are going to eat before you eat it. After you've eaten everything at the end of the day it's kind of too late to make any adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    In theory how it works is you record your food, look up the composition, do lots of calculations, and tally everything up at the end of the day.

The only practical way for a person to do this is to go to an online weight loss or fitness website where you enter your food and it does all the calculations for you. A lot of people use myfitnesspal.com. There are lots of free ones out there.

You end up with total calories, grams of protein, carbs, and fat, and macro ratios.

My feeling is you decide how many grams of protein you want to eat, then distribute your energy (carb/fat) calories as you wish.

It works best if you start by calculating what you are going to eat before you eat it. After you've eaten everything at the end of the day it's kind of too late to make any adjustments.
    Thank you!
    *~Sara~*

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    wh
    Last edited by spk; 05-12-2013 at 09:18 PM.

I use All Things Food and Diet - FatSecret. It's the only site I've used. I've been a member since before I was here. I don't know how the others work, but it allows you to enter your food for tomorrow or a future day. So when I've got an important goal (like a carb refeed), I'm able to plan ahead so I hit my targets.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Just add a bit more of everything to your plate

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Just add a bit more of everything to your plate
    After asking for advice and having several recommend eating more I did, and still lost. It seems like my body has decided to lose on its own, which normally would'nt be a problem since I'm still in a normal range for my height and it's normal to have initial weight loss when switching to primal eating. However, I'm pear shaped and while my bum and thighs are still a bit squishy, my top has really thinned out-to the point where my rib cage is starting to show and my face is starting to look gaunt. I wish we could dictate where the weight came off I am going to work on adding more carbs and someone suggested adding more protein. I have no idea the composition of the food I've been eating, so I think tracking my macros is a good start to figuring out how to transition to maintenance and stay there
    *~Sara~*

Oops, double post
    *~Sara~*

The problem with just adding more food to eat beyond your appetite is that you totally have to keep on it, or you'll end up skipping meals and undo all the extra eating you did.

I can feed my boyfriend a couple of extra meals of steak to bring him up on his protein, and next thing I know he's eaten corn chips and salsa for several meals in a row. It takes dedication.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 05-12-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The problem with just adding more food to eat beyond your appetite is that you totally have to keep on it, or you'll end up skipping meals and undo all the extra eating you did.

I can feed my boyfriend a couple of extra meals of steak to bring him up on his protein, and next thing I know he's eaten corn chips and salsa for several meals in a row. It takes dedication.
    Good point! I think I just need to tweak the foods I'm already eating, to get in a bit more carbs and protein. After I figure out the info for what I have been eating, I can do some small things to get me into my maintenance sweet spot
    *~Sara~*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast